College. What to do?!?

*Atlantica*

Earning My Ears
Im a high school senior right now and all that i seem to talk about with my parents is college. My mom posted a thing on here for the adults to respond to, but i wanted to hear from a younger p.o.v.

I like the idea of going away to college. But the only thing is i've never been a huge fan of school, just the people in it. So i was thinking about a 4-year school just so i could be away from home and meet new people. But idk if im ready. I dont know what i want to be/do for a job. i like movies, thought the idea of being involved somehow would be neat, but dont want to go to an art school.

Let me explain that- I like the HS environment so thats why i was thinking 4-year. Art schools that ive looked at have no mascot, no school spirit, not many people, which is cool if you dont like many people being around you.

Another idea was community college, but in my mind its easier to do a 4-year b/c you live on campus and everything is just right there. but if i do CC, then i would have to drive there everyday. Idk thats just how my brain thinks of it.

Questions-
What should i do?
4-year or CC?
any other info would be great!

-Thanks!

Im a high school senior right now and all that i seem to talk about with my parents is college. My mom posted a thing on here for the adults to respond to, but i wanted to hear from a younger p.o.v.

I like the idea of going away to college. But the only thing is i've never been a huge fan of school, just the people in it. So i was thinking about a 4-year school just so i could be away from home and meet new people. But idk if im ready. I dont know what i want to be/do for a job. i like movies, thought the idea of being involved somehow would be neat, but dont want to go to an art school.

Let me explain that- I like the HS environment so thats why i was thinking 4-year. Art schools that ive looked at have no mascot, no school spirit, not many people, which is cool if you dont like many people being around you.

Another idea was community college, but in my mind its easier to do a 4-year b/c you live on campus and everything is just right there. but if i do CC, then i would have to drive there everyday. Idk thats just how my brain thinks of it.

Questions-
What should i do?
4-year or CC?

-Thanks!

As a senior in college I have to say that I have loved college. But along with college brings a lot of work (papers, assignments, etc.) more than you see in high school. But if you don't wait until the last minute (like a majority of college students, I'm guilty of this lol) then you'll be fine. You have to learn to set your own schedule because if you live on campus you won't have your parents to remind you of homework and everything.

Another thing you have to think about is if your living on campus you'll have a whole new experience. In other words you'll be faced with tough decisions, whether to go out one night with your friends or finish that paper that is due in the next coming days.

I have enjoyed going to a 4 year college but sometimes a CC is a good starting point because it introduces you to college classes and everything.

I suggest checking out The College Board here on the DIS and you'll find plenty of other college students and soon to be college students asking the same questions as you. If you have any questions that you don't feel like asking in the thread, just PM me and I'll be glad to help you out. :)

Questions-
What should i do?
4-year or CC?

-Thanks!

Hey buddy I'm actually going through the same thing right now. I am also a high school senior and i have been looking at colleges since my freshman year and seem to decide on one each year.

I also want to go to a four year college and a huge deciding factor for me is knowing what i want to do and picking the best but affordable college that will support what I want.

I dont know if your school has any "college finding things" or some type of system in the counciling office but mine has really helped.

As far as the four year or CC goes it depends on what you want to do for me i want to work in hospitality and it is a four year but say if you wanted to study mechanics that would be a trade school and so on.

Talk with a counciler sometimes they can be very helpful.

I hope I helped you even in the slightest bit. you can messege me if you need help with any specifics

Questions-
What should i do?
4-year or CC?

-Thanks!

Here are a few things to consider before making a decision.
Do you pretty much know what you want to do/study?
Will you be able to succeed in school without having your parents there making sure you do your school work?

If you anwered yes to both questions, then go to a 4 year school.
If you answered no, then I'd check out a community college.

If you are only going away to college to get away fromy your parents/family and to meet new people...then you aren't going for the right reasons. It is VERY VERY VERRRYYY tempting to skip classes, not do work, and just hang out with people all the time when you move into dorms and away from parents.

If you are a person that kinda needs that extra push from parents to do your school work and everything, then definitely commute. You'll still meet a TON of new people and will make lots of friends. Plus community colleges are usually much easier, work wise, than colleges or universities. It's a great place to get your feet wet, so to speak, with school work and majors, and then transfer to a college. Most colleges accept credits from community colleges too.

I hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter