College Textbooks

FOR THE RECORD - I AM ON MY SOAPBOX...

The revision of textbooks is just a big scam, and the professors get pressure from the textbook companies to update their textbooks, so that students "HAVE" to purchase them, and then...surprise surprise...the textbook companies make more money. From what I understand, this just irritates the professors, because they aren't about the money (or they would be in private industry) they are really about teaching the kids.

I would personally use the old version, find where there is a copy in a campus library - where you can occasionally review the current text if it varies substantially from what your textbook is.

I am joining you on your soap box. This is a scam and it has been for years. I don't understand WHY profs. opt for the new edition. I think they do get some sort of kick back etc. I got my masters not all that long ago and my son is a college student currently. He usually buys and sells his books on Half.com or a couple of other sites. Once he got a copy of a book on linr for sociolgy and it turned out to be the TEACHER"s annotated edtion! It was also a review copy. NOW who do you think put that on HALF? It was actually funny b/c the soc prof was a stickler but went by the book. My son seemed pretty insightful in his class.

Email the professor and ask him/her if it would be okay to buy the 3rd edition. I have found that most professors don't mind at all.

I don't understand WHY profs. opt for the new edition. I think they do get some sort of kick back etc. I.

I'm not defending the system, but sometimes the publishers stop shipping the previous edition. So, there's no way for the prof to put in an order at the bookstore for an edition that's been superceded.

chegg.com you can rent text books for cheap prepaid return postage also.

For the last year, I have bought all of my textbooks from either BN.com or Amazon, and have only had a problem once. I didn't pay attention and accidentally ordered the study guide instead of the book. Since i was in 5 week classes, there wasn't time to re-order the correct book, so I did without. Fortunately, that professor gave very detailed notes and the tests were pretty much from the notes.

every other time, I have had no problems. The page numbers might be a little different, but it honestly was not a big deal. At the end of the session, I then sold my books on Amazon through my seller account. I don't usually get much for them, but it is better than nothing.

I got my BA in English, and I often went with the older editions of the Norton Anthologies. The difference between the older and newer versions my classmates had was almost always poem and author selection--newer versions would have different poems by the same poets or they would feature some different authors, especially in an effort to include more minority and women writers. It's not a big deal, especially if it's older literature. Heck, lots of what you need to read will be easily found online.

The most irritating thing to me was when my prof. announced a few weeks into the semester that she never really read our text book (cost me close to $100) prior to assigning it to us and had since decided she didn't really like it.

School books are expensive and they always will be. There is no way to avoid it. I found that my internet classes relied on the books MUCH more than the classes I attended in person.

Check Zinio dot com for OL versions of books. I have had good luck with those. BUT, before I ever bought a college textbook, I checked the public library for it. Every semester I was able to check out a book or two from the public library and save some $$. Most larger library systems allow you to search and reserve, even ship to your closest libary, the book of your choice.

Speaking in general terms, I suspect the older edition would be just fine for a lit-type class. I remember once I purchased a $5 edition of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare from a bargain bin, and I ended up using it in place of MULTIPLE paperbacks that the professor had placed in the bookstore for us. It was a huge savings.

For this specific question -- if possible -- I'd suggest going through the two editions and comparing to see just how similar they really are.

Things that used to work for me:

I'd go to the bookstore as soon as the professors had posted book assignments, and I'd buy used books -- they usually weren't available for long.

I'd save the receipt, and if I found the book cheaper elsewhere, or if the professor changed the book -- which happened often enough -- I'd return the book. As long as the book was returned by a certain date, there was no penalty.

Several times I did share a book with a friend. Yes, it was incovenient, but I was so poor that I frequently had to make financial sacrafices. This one was usually worthwhile.

Thanks all...I purchased the older version. I plan on double checking the page numbers for readings. Like others have said most of my other online classes barely touch the text so it should be easy to double check page numbers.

Profs do NOT get kickbacks for adopting a text. The most we get is a desk version of the text which contains the test bank, instructor's resources, etc. We DO get hassled during our office hours (and often outside office hours) by the reps. The money goes to the publisher, not the profs.

That being said, many texts DO need to be updated in certain fields. I teach neuroscience courses, and things can change pretty rapidly. A book is good for two, maybe three years at most, and then it is just too inaccurate to use.

What would reduce prices are the bangs and whistles- color pictures, special study guides, etc., that most students don't use. Unfortunately, a la carte is often not an option- the publishers require that you have students purchase the whole package (textbook, study guide, CD-ROM, online access) rather than just what each student needs. THAT drives the price up and drives me crazy.

As a prof AND a parent of one in college and three more on their way, I understand how pricey books are. I try and use a book more than one semester, and coordinate with other faculty. BUT, I also want to provide the best, most up-to-date course for my students. I have them purchase the book because I want them to read it. I am tired of hearing "I didn't do well on the test" followed by "Oh, I guess I didn't read the book". OPEN the book you spent all that money on. It really isn't meant to be a very, very expensive doorstop!!!

Profs do NOT get kickbacks for adopting a text. The most we get is a desk version of the text which contains the test bank, instructor's resources, etc. We DO get hassled during our office hours (and often outside office hours) by the reps. The money goes to the publisher, not the profs.

What would reduce prices are the bangs and whistles- color pictures, special study guides, etc., that most students don't use. Unfortunately, a la carte is often not an option- the publishers require that you have students purchase the whole package (textbook, study guide, CD-ROM, online access) rather than just what each student needs. THAT drives the price up and drives me crazy.

QUOTE]

If you wrote a text, wouldn't you get a profit? My last year of school was filled of professor published texts that were only available at the school. It drove me crazy.

I never use the study guides, CD Roms and online access codes unless I need to either submit a grade or a quiz. I would much prefer the book and book only. My DH loves the study guides and the CD Roms so I guess it is what you like to use.

I would much rather prefer online texts that can be easily accessible. I had a few courses like that and it was such a relief not to pay for an extra text.

A completely different note:

At least one major university in our area doesn't have students BUY books. Instead, the school charges a BOOK RENTAL FEE every year -- I'm thinking it's less than $100/semester -- and students have to return their books at the end of the semester. I'm sure they have the option to buy a certain reference book, if it's something that they'd really like to keep.

I'm sure it's a bit of a hassel for the professors to be forced to use the books that the department already owns, but it's certainly good for the students.

If more schools used a system like this, I'd bet the professors wouldn't change editions so often. It's certainly better for the environment.

I'm also hoping that before my children reach college age (which will be soon) that textbooks'll be available on the Kindle (or similar).

yes, if you write a text you get paid, but to get rich you need to sell a LOT of books.....very few make any real money.

I like the idea of rentals, personally, as long as they rotate new books in when we need them. Again, that really depends on the course and the level. The publishers HATE that idea, though.....fewer books sold, fewer royalties.

Most texts are now available on line. I am 'old" and hate to read on line, but many students prefer it. I hope that more publishers "sell" online access rather than paper books- saves the environment, too! Still, I like the feel of that text in my hands......

We really DO need to do something. I am using a new paperback version of a neuro text this semester.....it is about 2 inches thick, flimsy.....cost to the student is well over $100. We plan on using it for at least 4-6 semesters, so used versions will be available, but this semester's students must bite the bullet, so to speak.

OTH, I hate to hear students whine and complain about the cost of books when they buy big screen TVs for their apartments, expensive phones and ipods......what happened to starving student? Our students live in posh apartments (some better than my house), drive nicer cars than I do, and have far more electronic devices, game systems, etc......I would feel more sorry for their complaining about purchasing a $100 book if they had NOT just bought their third $500 phone in the last year! We lived in student slums, thrived on Ramen noodles, and spent hours in the library reading the books available on reserve. If more students were truly "struggling" then perhaps more would be done.....and it isn't fair to those students who truyly do sacrifice and struggle. (Off my soap box now!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter