College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Okay I am a high school junior and have dreamed about being in the Program since I was about 8 years old. A few questions:
1. I am going to Disney in May. Is there anyway I can somehow talk to someone and get more information about the program? Almost like a college tour?
2. I would love nothing more than to be a character or work anywhere in MK (been my dream since I was 8 also haha) but I'm 5'1. What are the chances I would be able to be one of those things?

1) No program that I know of, but you can talk to pretty much any CP you run into. They have their college listed rather than a hometown, so they are pretty easy to spot. All the other information you need (the official Disney approved stuff) will be online.

2) That's pretty much the perfect height for many of the main fur characters, and is a very versatile height. Periodically check out the Disney Auditions site for character heights, and what the process of CP auditions looks like. There are specific auditions for CP separate from regular ones.

1) No program that I know of, but you can talk to pretty much any CP you run into. They have their college listed rather than a hometown, so they are pretty easy to spot. All the other information you need (the official Disney approved stuff) will be online.

2) That's pretty much the perfect height for many of the main fur characters, and is a very versatile height. Periodically check out the Disney Auditions site for character heights, and what the process of CP auditions looks like. There are specific auditions for CP separate from regular ones.

Thanks so much! Since I was little I ask pretty much every CP I come in contact with. But of course they will not tell me anything negative while on the job, so I never know what to think about what they tell me.

And I would love nothing more than to work in MK. How likely is that?

Thanks so much! Since I was little I ask pretty much every CP I come in contact with. But of course they will not tell me anything negative while on the job, so I never know what to think about what they tell me.

If you are looking for more honest off-the-clock answers, you might want to look for different blogs/vlogs. I've found people are fairly honest with those, while still being respectful of the company. Everyone I know who has done the DCP honestly only has good things to say. There are always some negatives anywhere you go, but their overall experience has been overwhelmingly positive

Hopefully someone else can help with the MK question. I did a PI rather than the DCP, so I'm not sure how the selection process works. I know you can request work areas (merchandise, attractions, etc), but I'm not sure if you can request parks/resorts.

So character performing is a global position, meaning you'll work everywhere! You might work in MK one day and a resort the next. As others have said, 5'1 is a great height- you can be friends with many of the fur characters.

I wasn't a character performer, but did work in MK and can tell you many pros/cons of the DCP. Feel free to PM me! :)

Does anyone know if I can get a room by myself in housing if I agree to pay two portions of the rent? I don't mind sharing an apartment with other girls, but if at all possible I would prefer to have my own room. Thanks!

It depends on role and location
Yeah, I imagined it would. But there has to be an average. My preferred role is housekeeping so if anyone knows what they're typically paid weekly that would be nice too. I want to know how I'd do financially if I was accepted into the program.

I'm curious as to how much CPs tend to make weekly.

[this is all information I've either found online or experienced firsthand. If someone has other information, please let me know]

Based on what I've found online, the CP minimum pay will be $10/hour beginning July.
CPs are guaranteed 32 hours/week, may be scheduled up to 45, but with the current restrictions on overtime don't expect much over 40.
2016 housing costs $93-125/week
After tax with no deductions, you take home 78.6% of your gross pay

$10x37hrs = $370/week -$100housing = $270*.786 = $212

Depending on hours, where you live, etc, I would plan on bringing home about $200/week

I'm a freshman in high school, know what classes and, like, opportunities/ jobs I should really look for to prepare to try and get into the program? Like should I focus on jobs and stuff that would have me working with kids a lot?

I'm a freshman in high school, know what classes and, like, opportunities/ jobs I should really look for to prepare to try and get into the program? Like should I focus on jobs and stuff that would have me working with kids a lot?
My dd was accepted for this coming Fall program. She took regular classes in high school, but was active in other stuff....color guard, theatre, chorus. She had no job while in high school. She did work at the same camp she attended...did that for two summers, but it was only for a month each time. She helped run the theatre program there, so had some work with kids experience. Then, when she got to college, she was active in theatre...she's a theatre major. Last summer, and this coming summer, she will be working at our Six Flags...in costume, doing entertainment shows and around the park improv. I'm not sure that had anything to do with her acceptance though. She has been put in attractions, and wasn't accepted for character work at WDW...could be that she's pretty tall!!
So, long story short? Try to be as well rounded as possible. Get as much outside experience as you can...keeping in mind that high school should be your prime concern right now, and then college. Once you get into college, start worrying about DCP!!! There's really not too much you can do now to better your shot at being accepted!!!

Thanks to those here answering questions!

Not sure if this has been asked, so here goes.....

My DD has dreamed of doing DCP since she learned about it when she was much younger. Does anyone know minimum ages, though for DCP? She is headed to college this fall, but is on an early entry and skipped high school. She will still be a teen when she graduates college. Could she even be eligible for DCP?

Thanks to those here answering questions!

Not sure if this has been asked, so here goes.....

My DD has dreamed of doing DCP since she learned about it when she was much younger. Does anyone know minimum ages, though for DCP? She is headed to college this fall, but is on an early entry and skipped high school. She will still be a teen when she graduates college. Could she even be eligible for DCP?
From the college program website:
Application Requirements
In order to submit an application for the Disney College Program, applicants must meet the following requirements.

1. Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.

• Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.
  • Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply.
  • College freshmen may apply during their first semester of school to participate during their second semester. The Disney College Program cannot serve as your first semester of school.
  • Graduate students may apply. However, it is important to note that this program and its educational components, are designed for undergraduates.
2. Meet Any School Requirements for Participation
Students also must meet any additional criteria their school requires for participation in our program. This may include G.P.A., grade level, and number of credit hours earned. Schools will be contacted to verify eligibility on disneyeducationconnection.com.

3. Be at Least 18 Years of Age by the Time the Program Begins
All participants must be at least 18 years of age by their arrival date.

4. Possess Unrestricted Work Authorization
Participation in this program also requires unrestricted work authorization.

From the college program website:
Application Requirements
In order to submit an application for the Disney College Program, applicants must meet the following requirements.

1. Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.

• Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.
  • Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply.
  • College freshmen may apply during their first semester of school to participate during their second semester. The Disney College Program cannot serve as your first semester of school.
  • Graduate students may apply. However, it is important to note that this program and its educational components, are designed for undergraduates.
2. Meet Any School Requirements for Participation
Students also must meet any additional criteria their school requires for participation in our program. This may include G.P.A., grade level, and number of credit hours earned. Schools will be contacted to verify eligibility on disneyeducationconnection.com.

3. Be at Least 18 Years of Age by the Time the Program Begins
All participants must be at least 18 years of age by their arrival date.

4. Possess Unrestricted Work Authorization
Participation in this program also requires unrestricted work authorization.

Thank you! So it looks like she may have to wait until the end of her college experience to apply to DCP and I'm not sure how that will work for her. I am wondering if the "not yet graduated from high school" piece is going to be a problem for her since she will never graduate from high school. I guess she could do it after she graduates, but she has talked about teaching abroad that year before grad school. I guess she will have some decisions to make! THANKS AGAIN!

It's awesome that your DD is working so hard and advancing quickly! As the mom of two DCP daughters, I can say that it's a very good thing that one must be 18 or older. Trust me! The program is amazing, but your DD will be much more comfortable and will be able to enjoy it more when she's a bit older. Mine were/are both 20 and I honestly wouldn't have encouraged it any earlier.

Thank you! So it looks like she may have to wait until the end of her college experience to apply to DCP and I'm not sure how that will work for her. I am wondering if the "not yet graduated from high school" piece is going to be a problem for her since she will never graduate from high school. I guess she could do it after she graduates, but she has talked about teaching abroad that year before grad school. I guess she will have some decisions to make! THANKS AGAIN!

She may also want to look into doing a professional internship. It's a different experience than the DCP, but a very helpful one professionally speaking. And if she's planning on getting her Masters, they have masters internships. Im not sure what her focus will be, but it's a wonderful experience

My DS is interested in the DCP. Do they have opportunities for balloon twisters? He has his own balloon twisting business and has been doing it for about 5 years. He is also a lifeguard, so he hopes to get a job in the DCP as a lifeguard, but he would enjoy the opportunity to use his balloon skills also to entertain guests.

My kid just finished two back-to-back DCP rounds. Now works part-time as a regular CM. Some tips: google College Program blogs lots of info out there about the program. Be very prepared for both the web and phone interviews (should you get them) again google tips for those. HAVE A JOB! Disney really likes to take DCP kids with some type of work background. Most kids who've never worked will get food service. If you have dreams of working at Magic Kingdom... shelve those. You have NO CHOICE where they put you (don't forget the resorts are options). Try outs for characters are tough and very few get those jobs. Not to be a Debbie-Downer but the application process is tough. If you make it, you will live in housing with up to 5 other people. The pay isn't great by any means but if you're smart you can live comfortably (take your lunch everyday don't buy it!) My kid loved the program. But for everyone who loves it several hate it. You will work, you will work long, hot hours in Florida sun. If you've never worked a 40 hour work week be prepared for it! My biggest suggestion is to research! Good luck

Hi Everyone! The next few weeks are going to be very busy for me so I'm trying to get everything ready for the application now. In the initial application form, are there only spaces for job history or is there room for volunteer work as well? Also, in the skills and responsibilities sections, do you think it's better to list everything as bullet points, separate them with commas, or write out a paragraph?

You may list both volunteer and work experiences-up to five of them. DD just filled hers out last week and she put skills with commas on hers. She has an view for her second program next week. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter