College Program Parents Thread...

My son has been accepted to DCP 2014 spring extended at WDW. Now that the initial freak out stage has passed I am starting to worry that we may miss out on some family perks or benefits because he will get down there and forget all about his poor freezing family up north! DH says it's because he's a boy, so I asking for advice from parents of DCP sons. Have any past participant parents dealt with this problem? Any advice would be appreciated!

My son was in the college program in 2010 & 2011. He never forgot us thank goodness. We couldn't get there as much as we liked but loved the "perks". Still do - he never came home & is working part-time @ Epcot!

hate to interrupt, but my daughter just got accepted in Merchandising at Disney for the college program.
She is a Freshman at a college in Michigan
How does the college tuition work for the semester she is at Disney work?
Do the kids get to pick the apartment they live in-how much are the dorms/apartments at Disneyworld?
Is there any downside in accepting this internship?
thanks in advance!!

Her tuition depends entirely on whether or not she takes classes with her university during the program. If she takes the semester off, she doesn't have to pay a penny. If you're asking about financial aid, she'd have to ask an advisor.

CPs don't get to directly pick which apartment complex they live in, but they will be asked to set preferences and Disney usually does their best to honor them. I'm doing the College Program right now and I haven't met many people who didn't get their first choice.

Rent depends on which complex you live in and how many people you have in your apartment. I live in the newest (and nicest) complex with three roommates and we each pay $101 a week. I think the lowest rent can possibly be is something like $89 a week if you have 7 other roommates in the "worst" apartment complex.

Honestly, there aren't too many negatives to the program if you have realistic expectations. You're there to work, not to play, and there are 30,000 other people ready to take your spot if you take it for granted. At the end of the day, the program is what you make of it.

My daughter just got accepted yesterday after waiting for a few weeks. Keep your chin up to whomever is still waiting. My daughter and I are very excited about this program. My question is from people that have experience is this, should she take her car there? She wants to bring her car there, but I was wondering what most students do. Thanks

My daughter just got accepted yesterday after waiting for a few weeks. Keep your chin up to whomever is still waiting. My daughter and I are very excited about this program. My question is from people that have experience is this, should she take her car there? She wants to bring her car there, but I was wondering what most students do. Thanks

After two kids in the program it is an absolute - unequivocal YES - take the car.

The reasons:

• If your roll is at a Resort - you may have to make 3 or 4 stops before you get to your Resort. And, if I am correct - the Resort busses don't run as often.
  • One of my son's roomies worked a Resort and just never could get to that BusStop by 6 AM for his 7 AM start. Many times my son, or, other roomies were nice enough to bail him out (as he got lot's of strikes on his record)!
  • Shopping: They have a bus or two a day that take the kids to WalMart for grocery shopping! But, that I understand can be a 4 hour extravaganza. You take the bus - you shop - then you may wait 1.5 hours for the bus to return? My son had a Korean girlfriend (in the program) and he would just take her and her friends to the store once a week. He felt sorry for those Int'l kids! You get very few day's off and you spend it grocery shopping!
  • Your daughter will want to go out for Lunch / Dinner at some point - and even with the discount cannot afford Disney offerings every day! CiCi's Pizza buffet is a favorite of the kids - 5.99 and all u can eat. Bus won't take you there.
  • If you work till close at a Park, then, there are 500+ kids who all have to catch a bus. The wait can be quite long. I understand most Full-Time / Part-Time CM's take the early shifts and let the CP's work until closing.
  • You want to go to a park? You don't want to wait on the bus.
  • A side-trip to either Coast or an Orlando Mall on a whim is nice - and - a car gets you there. There are a few "Cottage" businesses who offer a "Party Bus" to the coasts, Miami, Universal, downtown Orlando clubs - etc. And, they are cheap - and both of my kids have done that! But, you work on their schedule.

In the end, I understand it is not possible or practical for everyone. But, was easier for my kids as we live in Atlanta. Both my kid's would have quit had they not had a car!

My son and 2 friends went down with my daughter (in a 2nd car) - and - since she has a small car and (is a girl with) ton's of stuff - I plan to either drive down to help cart everything home - or encourage her to Fed-Ex some stuff home.

Since it may be a long drive, you might want to get a plane ticket: Drive down to Orlando and fly home. Fly back to Orlando at the end and drive back.

My son has been accepted to DCP 2014 spring extended at WDW. Now that the initial freak out stage has passed I am starting to worry that we may miss out on some family perks or benefits because he will get down there and forget all about his poor freezing family up north! DH says it's because he's a boy, so I asking for advice from parents of DCP sons. Have any past participant parents dealt with this problem? Any advice would be appreciated!

Luckily we have DVC and I travel allot and have a ton of Holiday Inn points - so I never had to count on my kids!

Regardless, I know if I would have asked my son to order us rooms, etc., it would have taken him weeks of procrastinating before he acted upon an "Unknown". That is very much being a boy - like your husband suggested. He is correct! At the end of the day - we are all members of the same fraternity.

I would suggest there are 1000 posts on what perks exist and how to go about doing it. Most of it is on-line, so, it should be easy.

Just read up on the posts and tell him: Here is what I know and here is how you do it!

One important thing: The CP's get discounts at retail outlets and restaurants, but, THEY HAVE TO PAY! We were in Epcot and my wife bought a ton of stuff and he got the discount and I took out the Credit Card! He quickly scolded me and said - DAD - no - this is my treat! I about fell over!

We got outside and he explained the rule: I have to pay to get the discount! "Luckily - it was a Canadian CP working - and - she seemed cool, knew what was going on and had no intentions of busting me. But, I can get in trouble if my discount is used and I don't pay."

I said: "And, at what point was this explained to me? Nobody sent me the rule book! I only heard the "My Treat" part - I appreciate that! You can pay, but, I promise to leave you in my will!"

Make sure he takes you to the Employee Shop behind the MK! Not only is it cool to go to the back-scenes, but, tons of really good deals. It is hit or miss - but worth the trip.

You will get many different answers. Of course having the car there is the best!!! My dd did without one for almost eight months and more than half of this time was at a resort. Depends on what age the car is and where you are coming from - I think. Good luck!

For all of the Spring 2014 Parents - we have a great little group over on Facebook. If you would like to join us, come on over! It's not only for parents of accepted applicants - penders can join, too!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/509587182467153/

In case my link won't post, the title of the group is:
"Disney College Program Spring/Spring Advantage 2014 Parents Group"

Come on over! :cheer2:pirate::cheer2:pirate::cheer2:

You will get many different answers. Of course having the car there is the best!!! My dd did without one for almost eight months and more than half of this time was at a resort. Depends on what age the car is and where you are coming from - I think. Good luck!

Great point - I have AAA, so, it helped ton's when DD locked keys in the car - and DS's fan belt broke. I feel it is an expense we could live without - but - is piece of mind.

I am VERY glad that I brought my car and if it's possible I definitely would. I work at Studios and our bus stops at 2 resorts and one of the housing areas so it takes about 45 minutes to get to work. I can drive there in about 10 minutes so days when I need to sleep that extra 30 minutes is wonderful.

Grocery shopping, shopping in general, etc are so much easier with a car. You can buy more food because you have a place to haul it, so much faster and much more reliable. Even if you take a bus it's nice if you miss it or it never comes to be able to run to your car and drive to work without being late.

The busses are okay, lately I've been taking them to save money (It isn't TOO expensive, but with the pay it's hard) and at night the busses are sometimes late, full, or never come so it's nice to ride straight home in your car. Plus you don't want to ride the bus to a park, it's just too much time. So you can survive without one easily but it's much more convenient to have one.

My daughter was accepted today for Spring 2014. She checks in on Jan 20th. She said she read somewhere that you have to "camp out" the night before check in so you get a good room. Is that true????:confused3

My DS is planning to bring a car, but I just read on FB that the car has to be registered and insured in HIS name. The car he drives is a family car owned by my MH and I and insured with our other family cars (although DS is noted on the insurance as the primary driver). I don't plan to transfer the car to his name (as I think that would make the insurance a lot higher), does anyone know if it's true that he can't bring a car unless it is registered in his name?

singitalto...great name by the way. They have changed the housing checkin process, and they register for and sign up for housing online about 10 days before arrival. So now there is no need to arrive early since housing is assigned and ready to go when they arrive. :) That started I believe with Fall Advantage 2013...my son is down now and that is how he did it. Apparently before, they made their housing requests etc, at check in...so you had to be early to get what you wanted. Son arrived around 7, and had his housing assignment by about 7:45.

My DS is planning to bring a car, but I just read on FB that the car has to be registered and insured in HIS name. The car he drives is a family car owned by my MH and I and insured with our other family cars (although DS is noted on the insurance as the primary driver). I don't plan to transfer the car to his name (as I think that would make the insurance a lot higher), does anyone know if it's true that he can't bring a car unless it is registered in his name?

Unless the rule has changed in the past year, this is not true. My son took his car when he was there. It is registered in our name but he is the primary driver...like your situation. He was soooooo glad he had it there!

My daughter was accepted today for Spring 2014. She checks in on Jan 20th. She said she read somewhere that you have to "camp out" the night before check in so you get a good room. Is that true????:confused3

Nope. They now have DORMS which you fill out in advance. They will put you where they have a place. We wanted 2 bedroom, Patterson. We all arrived sporadically and ended up in Patterson 3 bedroom. They already have your rooms assigned by this point so show up when you like. Being there early just allows you get done with casting and have more time to move in.

Call your insurance and ask them about it. I was not on our insurance either but they were able to send a new paper with my name added on it I believe.

Never heard about this requirement - never came up from my kids that did 2012 Spring Advantage (Son) or 2013 Spring Advantage (Daughter). I am 100% certain the car is in my name. Like your son, the kids are listed as the primary driver on their cars.

They may have changed things, but, never heard of this.

The car being registered in the participant's name was a requirement when my daughter did the program in 2007...it didn't make sense then so perhaps they have changed it up. Hope so.

Liz

The car being registered in the participant's name was a requirement when my daughter did the program in 2007...it didn't make sense then so perhaps they have changed it up. Hope so.
Liz

Might be one of those rules which is never pursued. What if you drive 1500 miles and say: Nope, that is a violation of the rules - what do you do then?

I am a parent of a current cp'er. He has the car. The car is still registered in my name and the insurance card has his and my name. Either they never checked or its ok to have it still registered in our names.

Also another thing I wanted to stress is yes the kids get jobs they didnt necessarily want but a lot of important work they do is when they get there. Network like crazy. Sign up for a class and go to the meet &greet seminars etc. My son is a lifeguard. He used linkedin to find many people he wanted to meet. Disney is so open to the personal meet and greets. The first person he met was a Guest Service Ops manager and he told him to meet everyone he could.

This is so important if they want to follow up with Management or Professional Interns. My son is still up for 2 management Internships and 4 professional internships. Hopefully next week he might be hearing about the management internships..

Does anyone else agree with me?

I am a parent of a current cp'er. He has the car. The car is still registered in my name and the insurance card has his and my name. Either they never checked or its ok to have it still registered in our names.

Also another thing I wanted to stress is yes the kids get jobs they didnt necessarily want but a lot of important work they do is when they get there. Network like crazy. Sign up for a class and go to the meet &greet seminars etc. My son is a lifeguard. He used linkedin to find many people he wanted to meet. Disney is so open to the personal meet and greets. The first person he met was a Guest Service Ops manager and he told him to meet everyone he could.

This is so important if they want to follow up with Management or Professional Interns. My son is still up for 2 management Internships and 4 professional internships. Hopefully next week he might be hearing about the management internships..

Does anyone else agree with me?

I do! :thumbsup2 I'm down here now, and this is also my second program. I tell everybody down here to tell everybody they meet what they want to do with their lives--particularly if it pertains to Disney. I have awesome leaders this time around who are more than willing to help me out any way they can, and so far it's working!

In regards to the car, I had issues when I arrived because my name wasn't on the insurance card that I had. They didn't really look at my registration (but my name is also on the registration for my car since my dad and I went 50/50 on it), but they refused to allow me to have my car until the Insurance company faxed over proof. I called my dad, my dad called the insurance company, they emailed him proof, and all it took was me showing the man at the front desk at Chatham the email with proof that I was covered, and I was good to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter