College parents...fall semester?

I have 3 kids at a large university (60,000 undergrad.) One in a dorm with her BFF, 2 sharing an apartment with 2 roommates. No way the university can test everyone, but they are doing random testing at 2,500/week. I have no idea what their positivity rate is. They've been in class for just under 2 weeks, 2 kids have 2 hybrid classes with the rest online, and one dd is fully online.

I've heard of 5 kids there from our hometown that have tested positive in the last week due to symptoms or known positive contacts. One is a frequent dinner mate to my dorm kid. That dd is getting tested today.

I can't find anything about when/if "X number of positive cases means the university will do Z." This is Texas and there is no football without in person classes. I suspect that is driving a lot of the decision making. Call me cynical.

We moved my daughter in 2 weeks ago and she is having a great time! I’m sure it’s harder on upperclassmen who have previous college experience to compare it to. With this being her freshman year she doesn’t really know all that she’s missing. She and her friends share a suite and they are having a great time together. 3 of her classes are in person and 2 are online. I don’t know that they are doing any testing, she hasn’t been tested and I haven’t seen any emails mentioning it.

Junior daughter's university started two weeks ago fully online. Not bringing students in dorms back until mid-September. If things go well in the phase they are in they will move to some in person learning. Daughter is a junior and we had already signed a lease so she moved back to college and started online from her apartment. Two weeks in and hundreds of positive cases. My daughter is one of the positive cases. Her roommates are now quarantined with her but fortunately testing negative. I asked her where she thought she got it as she is a rules follower and has asthma and extra careful. She said one of her friends boyfriends is in a frat and it spread around the frat and her friend got it. I keep telling her to keep her circle of friends very small.

I have two kids at small colleges. One has about 4,000 students, and my daughter moved into her dorm apartment on Saturday. She had a COVID test upon arrival on Saturday at 11:20 AM, and got her negative test results last night at around 10:00 PM. As of last Thursday, they had tested 1,750 kids (freshmen, staff and RAs) and found one positive case. They are currently isolating one student and quarantining two. DD will be tested weekly on Thursdays. I hope the next week's batch of results looks as good as the first week. My other daughter attends a smaller college and she goes back next Monday. She had to submit a negative COVID test a week before arrival, which she took locally on Saturday and had her results Saturday night. Freshmen move in starting today, I think, and they will be tested upon arrival and weekly after that. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of them.

ETA - the first DD had five classes on line and one hybrid. The second has one in person, one on line and one hybrid.

I did some digging. DDs' university had 400 positive cases in the first 5 days, most of those symptomatic or had known postive contacts, so the assumption is there are many more out there that are asymptomatic and/or clueless they were exposed.

My daughter just started at a small college a few weeks ago. All students were tested upon arrival, and had to quarantine in their rooms for 48 hours, only leaving to retrieve boxed meals from the dining hall. Off-campus students were tested as well, and expected to obey by the quarantine rules. There were about five cases that tested positive from that, who were either quarantined or who went home.

Two weeks later, they retested the entire campus again. There was a small bump in cases, to around 30, but they were able to do extensive contact tracing, and it appeared to be from two different social gatherings that took place. They isolated, sent home, and took disciplinary action where needed. Crossing fingers that this serves as a strong example for the kids and that they all take it seriously. Targeted testing of about 1/3 to 1/2 of the students will take place next week, although I’m not sure if they plan to retest the entire campus at one time again. Weekly testing of a significant portion of the kids will apparently continue each week.

Oh, and there were zero positives among the freshmen in the second round - go class of ‘24!

My dd's state U has a COVID dashboard up on their website so we can see how many students have been tested and how many positives plus how many in quarantine and isolation.
There is about 8,000 kids at her school and they have tested over 5500 with 3 positives so far.
It is updated daily, but I do wonder how many students that tested negative 2 weeks ago have been out partying off campus at the bars?
I don't believe they will be testing the students again but I'll have to ask dd.

I’m sure it’s harder on upperclassmen who have previous college experience to compare it to. With this being her freshman year she doesn’t really know all that she’s missing.

I've been feeling more sorry for the freshmen, since the upperclassmen already have established friend groups and in many cases don't have to be in dorms. Glad your DD has friends and is having a good time!

DD is enjoying being back, cooking at her apartment, and doing classes. Her school has some cases among students (none in staff) but they are hanging on for now. I just wonder if it will settle down after they have all been there for a few weeks? I could be way off but I'm trying to be optimistic...

I did some digging. DDs' university had 400 positive cases in the first 5 days, most of those symptomatic or had known postive contacts, so the assumption is there are many more out there that are asymptomatic and/or clueless they were exposed.
Did they do anything about it? Quarantine kids, close dorms, etc, go online, etc?

Did they do anything about it? Quarantine kids, close dorms, etc, go online, etc?

Nada on a campus wide scale. Positive cases that live in dorms with roommates get moved to a quarantine dorm room with delivered food and a laundry service. Dd has a friend in one now. Kids in apartments are told to quarantine there.

I can't find that there is any sort of official threshold for what they'll do after a certain number of cases.

I found the rest of the university's dash board. Technically 358 positives the first week, 250 the second week. Those are only tests done on campus and don't include anyone seen or tested out in town.

Nada on a campus wide scale. Positive cases that live in dorms with roommates get moved to a quarantine dorm room with delivered food and a laundry service. Dd has a friend in one now. Kids in apartments are told to quarantine there.

I can't find that there is any sort of official threshold for what they'll do after a certain number of cases.

I found the rest of the university's dash board. Technically 358 positives the first week, 250 the second week. Those are only tests done on campus and don't include anyone seen or tested out in town.
Wow. I wonder if they will wind up going remote at some point. If cases go up they will probably run out of quarantine rooms. Hopefully, they won’t have to send kids home like NC had to after the first week. What a mess this year has been.

You’re DD is lucky her school is also testing off campus kids. My DD’s school only tested on campus kids at move in - about 1/3 of the total student population. Now that the virus is spreading, off campus kids who’ve been exposed are scrambling to get tested. The student health center is so overwhelmed with calls that they won’t answer the phone. Desperate scared kids are driving 1 to 2 hours to find testing sites. Her school has really failed the off campus kids.

wow that is so crazy- My daughters school actually built their own lab and they do testing right on campus-they can test up to 500 kids per hour. She tested yesterday at 3:00pm and was emailed 9am this morning she is negative. Classes don't start until Sept 9th and she is heading to Cape Cod for 4 days prior to that with friends so she has to covid test again when she returns.

Daughter is in quarantine and can't leave her dorm room for at least the day while contact tracing is done on 3 girls who live on her dorm floor who are positive. The girls who are positive and their roommates have been moved out of the building until they are cleared

The girls live on the other end of the hall and dd vaguely knows who 1 is. So hopefully daughter will soon be cleared.

The girls were told to place orders for dinner and breakfast through a campus food delivery app. Food will be delivered to their floor.

They got notice at 11:30 today which was too late to place a lunch order. Her roommate had ramen noodle packets, so they have ramen for lunch, lol. I'm sure dd has a few snacks of her own, too.

And so it begins!

You’re DD is lucky her school is also testing off campus kids. My DD’s school only tested on campus kids at move in - about 1/3 of the total student population. Now that the virus is spreading, off campus kids who’ve been exposed are scrambling to get tested. The student health center is so overwhelmed with calls that they won’t answer the phone. Desperate scared kids are driving 1 to 2 hours to find testing sites. Her school has really failed the off campus kids.
My son's university didn't test anyone or require any testing before the year started. They do have quarantine for those coming in from out of state. It's crazy, and I can't believe that the state had nothing to say about the fact that they had no testing in place. They even said that if students are having symptoms that they need to find their own way to a state/private testing facility. Finally, they announced that they'll be doing saliva testing on a random group of people starting next week. I agree with most of what they are doing, but I felt like they just wanted to pretend that no testing=no cases.

wow that is so crazy- My daughters school actually built their own lab and they do testing right on campus-they can test up to 500 kids per hour. She tested yesterday at 3:00pm and was emailed 9am this morning she is negative. Classes don't start until Sept 9th and she is heading to Cape Cod for 4 days prior to that with friends so she has to covid test again when she returns.
This is what driving my crazy about DD’s school. They did something similar for the on campus kids at move in - had mass testing with a 1 to 2 day turn around for results. But they can’t do it for the off campus kids now that they are all getting exposed???!!! DD took her test today in a county 75 minutes from her school and will have to wait 5 plus days for results. That’s just crazy!!!!

And so it begins!

At DS's school as well. - 3 kids have tested positive, and 22 are in quarantine because of possible exposure to them. :(

DS received a campus-wide e-mail, strongly reminding them about mask-wearing, social distancing, and no precaution-free gatherings.

University of Illinois is taking no prisoners. This was just sent to students.

Dear Students,
Over these past few days, the irresponsible actions of a small number of students have created the very real possibility of ending an in-person semester for all of us. Their poor choices have led to a concerning and rapid increase in the number of new undergraduate COVID-19 positive cases. We know the majority of you reading this message are following the university’s COVID-19 guidance, and we are grateful to all of you who have worked so hard to help by doing your part.
For two weeks, starting now, we are intensifying our efforts to identify and swiftly remove those individuals who have created this unacceptable risk for our campus and community and who have undermined your hard work to stay together. Students who continue to violate our safety policies, who fail to comply with directions from our public health officials and who engage in unsafe activities that risk spreading the virus will be asked to leave this university.
We believe the damage done by these individuals can be reversed. But it must be done quickly. And it will require those of you who have been working so hard this semester to shoulder even more responsibility in these next two weeks.
For two weeks, starting today at 5 p.m., for your own protection, we expect all undergraduate students to limit their in-person interactions to only the most essential activities. These include things like taking twice weekly COVID-19 tests, attending class, purchasing groceries and food, going to work, engaging in individual outdoor activity, attending religious services and seeking medical attention.
And here is the hardest part. We need you to strictly avoid social gatherings under any circumstances for these two weeks. We know what we are asking with this. Being together with friends is a big part of why you chose to come back. And for our freshmen, opening your college experience with the same isolation that ended your high school career is intensely disappointing.
It is not fair that you will be the ones to fix a situation you did not cause. But this is where we are now, and this is what it will take to repair the damage in time to break the cycle of increasing new cases. Two weeks now gives you the chance for the rest of the semester together.
Why Are We Doing This Now?
Real-time data from our Shield testing program allowed us to quickly detect a rapidly emerging increase in positive cases that will force us to return to fully remote instruction for the rest of the semester if we do not take immediate action to break the cycle.
Some students have ignored the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) directives to isolate or quarantine, choosing to go out even knowing they are positive for the virus.
Some students who have tested positive are actively avoiding our contact tracers and some have repeatedly returned to testing facilities attempting to “test out” of their positive status, which is not permissible under CUPHD protocols.
Some students have made active efforts to circumvent the Safer Illinois app.
Over the weekend, we received 11 complaints about large gatherings inside fraternities and private houses.
Over the weekend, we responded to more than 100 party-related calls.
The university has identified more than 400 new positive cases since the first day of instruction, Aug. 24, and about twice as many individuals are currently in quarantine. The number of new cases we have seen in the past several days has been progressing at a rate that will double every seven days without the actions we are asking of you.
Discipline for Non-Compliance & Dangerous Behavior
For the first week of classes, we focused on education, but now we are focusing on the individuals who are endangering everyone in our community. Here are some of the actions already taken to address these issues:
A student was issued an interim suspension for hosting a large party at his apartment on Friday.
Another student was issued an interim suspension for violation of a quarantine order on Saturday.
A student who posted a video on social media attempting to show people how to circumvent the Safer Illinois app is facing discipline.
The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity has been placed on interim suspension after another large party this weekend.
Approximately 100 additional students and organizations are facing disciplinary action for their behavior over the weekend.
These violations are unacceptable, and as we identify more individuals who are being irresponsible, they should be prepared to interrupt their studies and leave campus. Students who do not comply with campus COVID-19 rules or who fail to follow any instructions from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District will face immediate suspension.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs has substantially increased staffing to monitor large gatherings, parties and other unacceptable activities in University Housing and throughout the Campustown area. In addition to possible city fines, party hosts will also be subject to immediate suspension. That office is also working in collaboration with CUPHD to more quickly identify and contact undergraduate students who have tested positive or been in close contact with those who have. Students who refuse to comply with quarantine or isolation directions will face immediate suspension. Student Affairs has established this confidential web form to allow you to report unsafe activities or behavior.
What we need you to do to help
If you receive a call from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (beginning with a 217 or 312 area code), respond immediately and follow their guidance about quarantine and isolation. If you don’t, you will be in violation of state law, and you will be suspended from the university.
Limit your in-person activities only to essentials like twice weekly COVID-19 tests, attending class, purchasing groceries and food, going to work, engaging in individual outdoor activity, attending religious services and seeking medical attention.
Avoid traveling or attending large gatherings over the Labor Day weekend. Many of our positive cases these first two weeks were brought from communities without the level of testing we have.
Remember that in addition to university disciplinary action for violation of rules, you could also be subject to fines of up to $750 per day per violation of the COVID-19 related emergency orders from the cities of Urbana or Champaign.
If you see any non-compliance, please document the evidence and submit it through this web form. You can do so confidentially. If you see something, please let us know about it.
Please Follow the Rules
We are continually monitoring our total number of COVID-19 cases and positivity rates, and each act of non-compliance affects the trajectory of the Fall 2020 semester.
We have created the most extensive testing process of any university in the country. We have extensively modeled to make the best science-driven decisions. We have invented a new COVID-19 test. We’ve created a new app to ensure building access and academic standing are linked to testing compliance. Seven teams have worked since the spring to do everything we could possibly think of to make your Illinois experience as normal as possible.
We’ve given ourselves a real chance to come together and to stay together.
But the decision to do so is in your hands.
We stay together. Or we go home.
It comes down to these next two weeks.
It is up to you.
Sincerely,
Robert J. Jones
Chancellor
Andreas C. Cangellaris
Provost

Yep, my DD’s university shut down for 2 weeks, after virus numbers more than doubled, since start of class last week. And just before they started, told students that since campus will close for term at Thanksgiving break, all will take online finals the week after break. So, term shortened more than a couple of weeks. And no mention of what Spring term will look like.

University of Illinois is taking no prisoners. This was just sent to students.

Dear Students,
Over these past few days, the irresponsible actions of a small number of students have created the very real possibility of ending an in-person semester for all of us. Their poor choices have led to a concerning and rapid increase in the number of new undergraduate COVID-19 positive cases. We know the majority of you reading this message are following the university’s COVID-19 guidance, and we are grateful to all of you who have worked so hard to help by doing your part.
For two weeks, starting now, we are intensifying our efforts to identify and swiftly remove those individuals who have created this unacceptable risk for our campus and community and who have undermined your hard work to stay together. Students who continue to violate our safety policies, who fail to comply with directions from our public health officials and who engage in unsafe activities that risk spreading the virus will be asked to leave this university.
We believe the damage done by these individuals can be reversed. But it must be done quickly. And it will require those of you who have been working so hard this semester to shoulder even more responsibility in these next two weeks.
For two weeks, starting today at 5 p.m., for your own protection, we expect all undergraduate students to limit their in-person interactions to only the most essential activities. These include things like taking twice weekly COVID-19 tests, attending class, purchasing groceries and food, going to work, engaging in individual outdoor activity, attending religious services and seeking medical attention.
And here is the hardest part. We need you to strictly avoid social gatherings under any circumstances for these two weeks. We know what we are asking with this. Being together with friends is a big part of why you chose to come back. And for our freshmen, opening your college experience with the same isolation that ended your high school career is intensely disappointing.
It is not fair that you will be the ones to fix a situation you did not cause. But this is where we are now, and this is what it will take to repair the damage in time to break the cycle of increasing new cases. Two weeks now gives you the chance for the rest of the semester together.
Why Are We Doing This Now?
Real-time data from our Shield testing program allowed us to quickly detect a rapidly emerging increase in positive cases that will force us to return to fully remote instruction for the rest of the semester if we do not take immediate action to break the cycle.
Some students have ignored the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) directives to isolate or quarantine, choosing to go out even knowing they are positive for the virus.
Some students who have tested positive are actively avoiding our contact tracers and some have repeatedly returned to testing facilities attempting to “test out” of their positive status, which is not permissible under CUPHD protocols.
Some students have made active efforts to circumvent the Safer Illinois app.
Over the weekend, we received 11 complaints about large gatherings inside fraternities and private houses.
Over the weekend, we responded to more than 100 party-related calls.
The university has identified more than 400 new positive cases since the first day of instruction, Aug. 24, and about twice as many individuals are currently in quarantine. The number of new cases we have seen in the past several days has been progressing at a rate that will double every seven days without the actions we are asking of you.
Discipline for Non-Compliance & Dangerous Behavior
For the first week of classes, we focused on education, but now we are focusing on the individuals who are endangering everyone in our community. Here are some of the actions already taken to address these issues:
A student was issued an interim suspension for hosting a large party at his apartment on Friday.
Another student was issued an interim suspension for violation of a quarantine order on Saturday.
A student who posted a video on social media attempting to show people how to circumvent the Safer Illinois app is facing discipline.
The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity has been placed on interim suspension after another large party this weekend.
Approximately 100 additional students and organizations are facing disciplinary action for their behavior over the weekend.
These violations are unacceptable, and as we identify more individuals who are being irresponsible, they should be prepared to interrupt their studies and leave campus. Students who do not comply with campus COVID-19 rules or who fail to follow any instructions from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District will face immediate suspension.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs has substantially increased staffing to monitor large gatherings, parties and other unacceptable activities in University Housing and throughout the Campustown area. In addition to possible city fines, party hosts will also be subject to immediate suspension. That office is also working in collaboration with CUPHD to more quickly identify and contact undergraduate students who have tested positive or been in close contact with those who have. Students who refuse to comply with quarantine or isolation directions will face immediate suspension. Student Affairs has established this confidential web form to allow you to report unsafe activities or behavior.
What we need you to do to help
If you receive a call from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (beginning with a 217 or 312 area code), respond immediately and follow their guidance about quarantine and isolation. If you don’t, you will be in violation of state law, and you will be suspended from the university.
Limit your in-person activities only to essentials like twice weekly COVID-19 tests, attending class, purchasing groceries and food, going to work, engaging in individual outdoor activity, attending religious services and seeking medical attention.
Avoid traveling or attending large gatherings over the Labor Day weekend. Many of our positive cases these first two weeks were brought from communities without the level of testing we have.
Remember that in addition to university disciplinary action for violation of rules, you could also be subject to fines of up to $750 per day per violation of the COVID-19 related emergency orders from the cities of Urbana or Champaign.
If you see any non-compliance, please document the evidence and submit it through this web form. You can do so confidentially. If you see something, please let us know about it.
Please Follow the Rules
We are continually monitoring our total number of COVID-19 cases and positivity rates, and each act of non-compliance affects the trajectory of the Fall 2020 semester.
We have created the most extensive testing process of any university in the country. We have extensively modeled to make the best science-driven decisions. We have invented a new COVID-19 test. We’ve created a new app to ensure building access and academic standing are linked to testing compliance. Seven teams have worked since the spring to do everything we could possibly think of to make your Illinois experience as normal as possible.
We’ve given ourselves a real chance to come together and to stay together.
But the decision to do so is in your hands.
We stay together. Or we go home.
It comes down to these next two weeks.
It is up to you.
Sincerely,
Robert J. Jones
Chancellor
Andreas C. Cangellaris
Provost
Sorry to hear this. It is always a few that ruin it for so many.

‘I am guessing we will be hearing a lot schools switching to remote as we get deeper into fall. Kids are not going to just study at college. They want to socialize and party.

Sorry to hear this. It is always a few that ruin it for so many.

‘I am guessing we will be hearing a lot schools switching to remote as we get deeper into fall. Kids are not going to just study at college. They want to socialize and party.
I expect many to switch over to online only. Right after the eek past the last day for refunds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter