• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Football 2023-Year of The Dawgs?

I think it's the year of "God knows where we'll all end up." Lots of upsets and unexpectedly close games all over the map. It's an exciting year, but some hearts will be broken before it's over.
Hearts? It is just a game. Doesn't really matter who wins or loses.

Hearts? It is just a game. Doesn't really matter who wins or loses.
Guessing Coaches who get win bonuses would disagree with you. Schools who get extra money for winning championships probably disagree, as do their conference members. Games mean something to the competitors too.

Oh wait, fans want their teams to win.

Now, will a win or loss affect the over all scheme of the country, much less the world? Of course not. And it might not matter to YOU who wins or loses, but it does matter to MANY others.

Today begins 48 STRAIGHT DAYS of televised Football!(College and /or NFL)

The College Football regular season reaches the halfway mark this Weekend!

So what are the odds Cristobal is fired this week?

Probably low, because his buyout is certainly high, but man that was bad.

So what are the odds Cristobal is fired this week?

Probably low, because his buyout is certainly high, but man that was bad.
LOL and then on the last TD, where's the D? The thing is there were so many headscratchers yesterday, some that were very costly and some that were overcome. And there have been quite a few from lots of different coaches this year. This really hasn't been a banner year for coaches across the board. Nobody will remember the blunder that Oklahoma's coach made Saturday because his team bailed him out and won anyway. So I won't describe that one in detail. But here's a coach that made a lot of them. aTm's coach down 26-17 at the 2 late in the game. Do you kick or go for it? I always kick in that situation. Essentially 4th and goal at the two is a less than 50-50 chance to preserve your chance to win. A kick from there is a much higher percentage chance. There are legit arguments for going the other way and it looks like he is going the other way. But whatever you do there requires you to preserve your time out. You need them all to stop the clock on defense. So Make your decision fast and live with it. But what does aTm's coach do? You guessed it. He can't decide, so he wastes a time out, changes his mind, and then kicks the FG. Notre Dame. You have plenty of time left. Just under 10 minutes in fact, 4th and 11 own 35. Down by 11. He goes for it. WHAT IN ZEE HECK? and misses. Ball game. 4th and 1. Ok I'm tempted. 4th and 11 with a rattled QB at the time? Oh and it gets better. His explanation. I trusted my defense to keep it a two score game. What? You trust your D to stop them at your own 35 but don't trust your D to stop them at their 20? That makes no sense.

BTW the odds are slim and none. Coaching is definitely a fraternity sort of thing. And Miami firing him right now would not be looked upon favorably by the fraternity. But it certainly cost him a season's worth of grace period or any grace period for a minor behavior transgression.

This is a bit awful to even think about, but could it be possible that the decision not to just run out the clock could have had something to do with sports betting? (I don't wish to imply that Cristobal himself had money riding on the outcome, but could it be possible that some powerful booster might have pressured him to try to make sure that certain bets in favor of UM would pay off more handsomely?)

I don't gamble, so I don't really know if this scenario is plausible, but logic tells me that there had to have been some tangible gain somewhere that was riding on that choice, and not just the ego boost of winning by a few extra points. (I suppose he could have been thinking of the rankings, but they had no shot at the top 10 for that win, so that wouldn't seem to be compelling enough.)

This is a bit awful to even think about, but could it be possible that the decision not to just run out the clock could have had something to do with sports betting? (I don't wish to imply that Cristobal himself had money riding on the outcome, but could it be possible that some powerful booster might have pressured him to try to make sure that certain bets in favor of UM would pay off more handsomely?)

I don't gamble, so I don't really know if this scenario is plausible, but logic tells me that there had to have been some tangible gain somewhere that was riding on that choice, and not just the ego boost of winning by a few extra points. (I suppose he could have been thinking of the rankings, but they had no shot at the top 10 for that win, so that wouldn't seem to be compelling enough.)
It wouldn't have in this case. Miami was a 19 point favorite and the over/under was 57, meaning even a TD and 2 point conversion on the final drive wouldn't have affected any betting outcomes.

LOL and then on the last TD, where's the D? The thing is there were so many headscratchers yesterday, some that were very costly and some that were overcome. And there have been quite a few from lots of different coaches this year. This really hasn't been a banner year for coaches across the board. Nobody will remember the blunder that Oklahoma's coach made Saturday because his team bailed him out and won anyway. So I won't describe that one in detail. But here's a coach that made a lot of them. aTm's coach down 26-17 at the 2 late in the game. Do you kick or go for it? I always kick in that situation. Essentially 4th and goal at the two is a less than 50-50 chance to preserve your chance to win. A kick from there is a much higher percentage chance. There are legit arguments for going the other way and it looks like he is going the other way. But whatever you do there requires you to preserve your time out. You need them all to stop the clock on defense. So Make your decision fast and live with it. But what does aTm's coach do? You guessed it. He can't decide, so he wastes a time out, changes his mind, and then kicks the FG. Notre Dame. You have plenty of time left. Just under 10 minutes in fact, 4th and 11 own 35. Down by 11. He goes for it. WHAT IN ZEE HECK? and misses. Ball game. 4th and 1. Ok I'm tempted. 4th and 11 with a rattled QB at the time? Oh and it gets better. His explanation. I trusted my defense to keep it a two score game. What? You trust your D to stop them at your own 35 but don't trust your D to stop them at their 20? That makes no sense.

BTW the odds are slim and none. Coaching is definitely a fraternity sort of thing. And Miami firing him right now would not be looked upon favorably by the fraternity. But it certainly cost him a season's worth of grace period or any grace period for a minor behavior transgression.
Yes! Even after the fumble, ESPN still projected Miami had a 94% chance of winning, then after the first completed pass it was 89%, because GT still essentially needed a hail mary with no timeouts and 10 seconds left, and they hadn't been ripping off big passes up to that point.

Still feels like it will come down to Michigan-UGA. My guess is that Washington will be in the CFP, then the last spot will be tough to decide. If FSU goes undefeated, they get it. If they lose and OU goes undefeated, they get it. If both teams have a loss, but Texas goes undefeated and gets revenge on OU, then they probably get it.

Reportedly the NCAA is in Ann Arbor investigating the signal stealing allegations.

Michigan has the best team they have had in MANY years,one perfectly capable of winning the NC,but unfortunately no matter how far they go,this team will always be under a cloud in some peoples' eyes.

Still feels like it will come down to Michigan-UGA. My guess is that Washington will be in the CFP, then the last spot will be tough to decide. If FSU goes undefeated, they get it. If they lose and OU goes undefeated, they get it. If both teams have a loss, but Texas goes undefeated and gets revenge on OU, then they probably get it.

I think the winner of The Game will play UGA and, regardless of who that is, UGA should be the favorite unless something significant changes between now and then. That could be an injury or the NCAA penalizing Michigan in some way.

IMHO, the championship was decided 2 weeks ago on a missed Oregon field goal. If anybody is beating Washington from here on out I'm not seeing it.

I think the winner of The Game will play UGA and, regardless of who that is, UGA should be the favorite unless something significant changes between now and then. That could be an injury or the NCAA penalizing Michigan in some way.
blockO.jpgJust putting this out there! Oh and we gave UGA a pretty good game last year but for the no call against UGA on Harrison--the outcome could have been far different. 1698423091021.jpeg

:flower3:

Last edited:
The Michigan story has definitely thrown a wrench in things. I'm not sure UGA would be the favorite against an undefeated Big 10 team. They've been in more competitive games this year, while Michigan and Ohio State have looked more dominant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter