College diploma question - Update

If you are a recent college graduate interviewing for your first job, likely the interviewer will want to be able to verify you actually attended & graduated from the college shown on you resume with a specific degree. Once you work somewhere for 5+ years and are interviewing for another position at that company, they will likely be more interested in your job performance compared to where you went to college or what honor awards you might have gotten.

I can't honestly say I know where any of my co-workers went to college, it just isn't something that comes up in discussion. Unless they drink coffee from a college mug and/or have sports memorabilia in their office, no one would know and probably don't care. In my years of interviewing current employees at our company for promotional opportunities, I can't ever recall asking where they went to college.
True. I am a 57 year old retiree (back in the workforce) looking to switch departments (county government) and the new position I applied for has no degree requirement. My degree and honors will not affect my likelihood of being hired. But as a freshly minted graduate, I bragged the heck out of it in my interview :-) . And because the position requires a background check, I did have to provide a copy of my diploma, even though it is not a job requirement. I told them I would send it when it came in but I was so disappointed to see that the honors were not on the diploma.

I am counting on getting the position based on my reputation, not my education. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I don't have any inside information, but it sure appears with 2 job openings for every unemployed person, that some employers are looking for anyone with a pulse. I keep seeing stories on job fairs where some employers are hiring on the spot. That doesn't allow time for criminal background checks or drug testing, if still done by that specific employer.
The job is with the cop shop (sheriff's department) so a criminal background check is mandated by state law.

There were a bunch of people who showed up for the interview. My spy told me that they are looking at six of us and that I am currently their #2 choice. Funny thing is that it is not even that great of a job but it is a good retirement job for former PoPo.

Not on the diploma. I assume GPA is on the transcript, though it's been so long I don't know where that is.

Good luck with the job!

I just applied for a job that does require a copy of the diplomas and transcripts (background investigation) and I had mentioned my honors in the interview and don't want to look less than honest. I have not ordered a copy of my transcripts yet but this is how the bottom of my unofficial copy reads

View attachment 704044
even though no one will probably ever see my diploma other than this one particular employer, I am still disappointed. I obsessed over my 4.0. I think of al the free time I would have had if I hadn't. I should at least get to see the results in writing :-)

First, big congrats on your achievement!

To your question: x cum laude designation not noted on my diploma, it is on DD's diploma. May depend on the school?

Side note that goes to your point about working hard for that 4.0: a friend in medical school says his school was using honors/high pass/pass/fail designations for pre-clinical coursework and they just switched to straight pass/fail. Seems like it would be easy for top students to adopt a do the minimum to get by attitude instead of busting their butts for that highest designation. Not sure that's what I want from my future Dr.

Mine says Bachelor of Arts but that's just on my wallet size diploma they also gave us. I'm assuming it's exactly like my big one but not even going to dig that out of the cedar chest!

Congrats OP on all your honors. I was on the Dean's List a couple of times but that was it back in the 70s. :)

I don't have any inside information, but it sure appears with 2 job openings for every unemployed person, that some employers are looking for anyone with a pulse. I keep seeing stories on job fairs where some employers are hiring on the spot. That doesn't allow time for criminal background checks or drug testing, if still done by that specific employer.
This whole "2 job openings for every unemployed", while technically accurate, I'm guessing doesn't tell the entire story. First, I'm pretty sure that's going to include the "entry level"/typical teenager jobs... grocery store bagger, fast food worker, etc. Minimum wage positions, and yes, those probably are willing to accept anyone with a pulse. However, that doesn't mean the job fits the employee needs (whether money, hours, responsibilities, challenges, location, etc). Employers will still want someone qualified for a job. I've applied to more than two dozen positions across the country. I've had four interviews. Which isn't bad, but still no job offers and the pay isn't really what I'm looking for.

As far as the "hire on the spot" job fairs. Sure, they may say "we'll hire you today", but I bet there's allowances if the background checks/drug testing come back with bad results, that job offer is going away very quickly.

This whole "2 job openings for every unemployed", while technically accurate, I'm guessing doesn't tell the entire story. First, I'm pretty sure that's going to include the "entry level"/typical teenager jobs... grocery store bagger, fast food worker, etc. Minimum wage positions, and yes, those probably are willing to accept anyone with a pulse. However, that doesn't mean the job fits the employee needs (whether money, hours, responsibilities, challenges, location, etc). Employers will still want someone qualified for a job. I've applied to more than two dozen positions across the country. I've had four interviews. Which isn't bad, but still no job offers and the pay isn't really what I'm looking for.

As far as the "hire on the spot" job fairs. Sure, they may say "we'll hire you today", but I bet there's allowances if the background checks/drug testing come back with bad results, that job offer is going away very quickly.
Hey a $15 an hour minimum wage job, even if it isn't a job you plan to stay in, is better than $0 an hour coming in when you are unemployed.

The job is with the cop shop (sheriff's department) so a criminal background check is mandated by state law.

There were a bunch of people who showed up for the interview. My spy told me that they are looking at six of us and that I am currently their #2 choice. Funny thing is that it is not even that great of a job but it is a good retirement job for former PoPo.
Law enforcement was my first career path choice so way back in 1973 I was fingerprinted on my first application and my fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Went another direction, but every criminal background check I have had since then prompts potential employers and youth sports officials to ask why someone with no criminal record has an FBI Fingerprint number.

Law enforcement was my first career path choice so way back in 1973 I was fingerprinted on my first application and my fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Went another direction, but every criminal background check I have had since then prompts potential employers and youth sports officials to ask why someone with no criminal record has an FBI Fingerprint number.
That's funny. I was teaching the class for law enforcement personnel to use the system for access to criminal records (NCIC) and back then, we didn't have test records so we were told to run ourselves as the example. My fingerprints from getting hired as a police officer in 1984 did not come up by the ones submitted for my child's adoption in 2006 did. I was asked the same question. For a minute, everyone always thought it meant I had a record. It was a good jumping off point for discussion though.

Hey a $15 an hour minimum wage job, even if it isn't a job you plan to stay in, is better than $0 an hour coming in when you are unemployed.
I have a hard time accepting a job (even a minimum wage one) knowing that if I get a better offer in the next day or week or month, I'm gone. I don't think that's fair to the company. Now, ask me how I feel in another month (when I'm actually out of a job) and that might change.

That's funny. I was teaching the class for law enforcement personnel to use the system for access to criminal records (NCIC) and back then, we didn't have test records so we were told to run ourselves as the example. My fingerprints from getting hired as a police officer in 1984 did not come up by the ones submitted for my child's adoption in 2006 did. I was asked the same question. For a minute, everyone always thought it meant I had a record. It was a good jumping off point for discussion though.
My mug shot was also part of the file. In 1998 my son's Little League started requiring criminal background checks for Managers/Coaches/Umpires. We had a Private Investigator who was a retired Sheriff's Lt. do the background checks. He managed to get a copy of my mug shot and showed it to me. I hadn't changed much in 25 years!

I have a hard time accepting a job (even a minimum wage one) knowing that if I get a better offer in the next day or week or month, I'm gone. I don't think that's fair to the company. Now, ask me how I feel in another month (when I'm actually out of a job) and that might change.
I started at my last employer as a freelance employee. Stayed that way for 13 months until they offered me a permanent position. But I was literally day to day on work hours for all those 13 months. Never worked less than 40 hours a week the entire time, but always had it hanging over my head that there would be no more hours assigned to me.

I started at my last employer as a freelance employee. Stayed that way for 13 months until they offered me a permanent position. But I was literally day to day on work hours for all those 13 months. Never worked less than 40 hours a week the entire time, but always had it hanging over my head that there would be no more hours assigned to me.
Freelance is different. The employer and the employee know there's no guarantee of availability. That's an understanding at the outset. It's like working for a temp agency.

Freelance is different. The employer and the employee know there's no guarantee of availability. That's an understanding at the outset. It's like working for a temp agency.
A staff shortage, and two four month long paternity/maternity leaves gave me a lot of hours.

Congrats and a good question! I have no clue where mine even is, but I know for a fact it said it on the transcripts! I never had anyone ask and never really shared anything other than basic information, so I never bothered to check! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter