Cocoa vs Clearwater beach

sonomom

Mouseketeer
Went to Clearwater and loved it. Dh could fish and kids 5 & 3 loved the large playground not to mention the warm water and white sands. So how does cocoa compare, thinking about either trying it out or just returning to Clearwater even though it's a few hour drive.

Natalie

The Gulf side is much better in my opinion. We spent a week at Cocoa last year and enjoyed watching the Disney cruise ships go by, but we like Clearwater more.

Sheila

We have been taking a side trip to Clearwater for the past 5 years. Prefer the warm Gulf water and white sand beaches.

My family and I have never been to Cocoa, however we have gone to Clearwater Beach since 1996 and kept going back each year because we enjoy it a lot. So I would recommend going back there again.

We're the odd ones out, we much prefer the Atlantic side. The water is rough and no smooth white sand but we still prefer the overall ocean feel of the Atlantic.

We only go for day trips though, not sure Cocoa would have as many family friendly attractions as Clearwater if you're going for a longer stay.

we have done both. we prefer cocoa beach simply because it takes 45 mins to get there no matter what time of day.

clearwater and sarasota can take well over 2 hours depending on traffic. while, i agree, the gulf beaches are "nicer", they dont make up for and extra 2+ hours round trip

I'm in agreement with the previous poster. We've done both and enjoy Cocoa Beach much more just due to the convenience factors. Also, we seem to like the more "lively" water on the Cocoa Beach side.

Anybody have links to information (parking, restaurants, attractions, etc) about going to either of these beaches?

Anybody have links to information (parking, restaurants, attractions, etc) about going to either of these beaches?

Search for "Alan Shepard Park"

Named after the astronaut. It has a large parking lot. $5 a day to park. There are several vendors on the beach for chairs and umbrellas and such. Very clean, about a mile south of the pier.

Haven't been to Cocoa Beach but on our last trip we took a day trip out to the gulf and Clearwater Beach. Neither of us are really beach people, we just wanted to see the ocean. The beach was nice enough but what we really enjoyed doing was driving along the coast over all the causeways and just exploring all the seaside towns. We drove down as far as Treasure Island, then cut back up to the Orlando area. I think we'll do this again on our upcoming October trip, but will probably head north from Clearwater and check out what's up toward Weeki Wachee.

We just love the Gulf. Everyone in my extended family (group we vacation with in Orlando) prefers Clearwater beach, and that's our beach day trip of choice when we are in the Orlando area. // Usually we go for the shorter drive, but everyone is willing to drive further (an extra hour each way) for Clearwater. All four family groups are in concurrence. We love the big wide beach, the pier, and all the activity there.

Update, we went to Cocoa... then back to clearwater the next day. I loved the water and beach in clearwater. Its warm and shallow so perfect for young kids. Also the large playground is awesome, they also have bounce houses up in the eve for a fee. So with younger kids i would definately say Clearwater. However older kids and adults would prob like Cocoa, they have bars/restaraunts on the pier. The wave are also much larger if you enjoy surfing or boogie boarding.

Natalie

Clearwater is not on the Ocean Very close though.It is on the gulf side near Tampa and a lot more crowded.Theres great snorkeling, jet skis and lots of bars you can just walk from place to place. For decent snorkeling you really have to go to the keys.

Update, we went to Cocoa... then back to clearwater the next day. I loved the water and beach in clearwater. Its warm and shallow so perfect for young kids. Also the large playground is awesome, they also have bounce houses up in the eve for a fee. So with younger kids i would definately say Clearwater. However older kids and adults would prob like Cocoa, they have bars/restaraunts on the pier. The wave are also much larger if you enjoy surfing or boogie boarding.

Natalie

I totally agree. My kids are late teens and 20's and we always stay a nite or two in Cocoa Beach. It's a fun area for older kids and the beach is beautiful. There are fun places to eat and shop, but wihen my kids were little, the gulf beaches were better.

Last week we went to the gulf side and visited Honeymoon Island. It is a beautiful place. LOTS & LOTS of shells. Very warm water and the temps were 90 in Orlando and 80 at Honeymoon Island. Not a lot of people. Nice public bathrooms and a cafe/general store. There is a fee of $7 per car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter