Cockroaches at Pop Century Resort

circle-of-life.jpg
No. That doesn't seem right. I don't think the monkey is about to eat the cat.

At one time that would freak me out but then we moved to Tampa for a year. There are bugs EVERYWHERE in Florida. I keep a very clean house and we had professionals that treated both the outside and inside of our home yet we would occasionally still see a cockroach. There is nothing you can do about the bugs, even cockroaches, in Florida. Believe me, the cockroaches we now see in Houston are MUCH worse than the little guys we dealt with in Florida.

These guys are just babies! you should see the ones in the Philippines! I was swinging at them with a BROOM! also, I saw a snake at DW once...at a water park. He was just chillen' on a rock. You don't bother them, they won't bother you!

Hotels with interior corridors will not save you from the Florida natives. If they don't come through your balcony door they will just boldly walk down the hallway and under that interior door. Oh, and they can climb and some can fly, so upper floors won't work either.

That's the number one reason I pack a box of large ziplock baggies. Any food product gets sealed in a baggie to keep the natives out.

I will be having things delivered if it's to pricey online ill buy the zip lock bags before I leave and pack them too. I use these things for everything. I am sure they will come in handy in wdw thanks

Never seen any when I've stayed at the Disney resorts, though I'm not especially surprised -- and note to self to request upper level rooms in future. I think we've always just happened to be put on an upper level; didn't really think about the ground floor issue despite having lived in both Florida and Texas.

I don't know if I'd necessarily demand a room change if I spotted one, but I'd certainly let the front desk know. When I was in the College Program they made a big deal about us needing to immediately notify our housing office if we found any live bugs in our apartments so the place could be re-treated right away -- while the CP apartments are run by an outside company, I always figured Disney made the same kind of effort to stave off potential infestations on their own directly owned property. I think we found live bugs once in one of the apartments where I stayed (and I was there for two semester-long programs), and they were itty bitty things, not cockroaches. Yes, there are bugs everywhere in Florida, but no, I wouldn't accept cockroaches in my room as a matter of course.

Now, the lizards...I'm surprised I've never seen one of those suckers inside, though maybe they're kept away by the air conditioning. When I'd walk to and from the grocery store I'd see a lizard on the sidewalk every couple of feet.

Never seen any when I've stayed at the Disney resorts, though I'm not especially surprised -- and note to self to request upper level rooms in future. I think we've always just happened to be put on an upper level; didn't really think about the ground floor issue despite having lived in both Florida and Texas.

I don't know if I'd necessarily demand a room change if I spotted one, but I'd certainly let the front desk know. When I was in the College Program they made a big deal about us needing to immediately notify our housing office if we found any live bugs in our apartments so the place could be re-treated right away -- while the CP apartments are run by an outside company, I always figured Disney made the same kind of effort to stave off potential infestations on their own directly owned property. I think we found live bugs once in one of the apartments where I stayed (and I was there for two semester-long programs), and they were itty bitty things, not cockroaches. Yes, there are bugs everywhere in Florida, but no, I wouldn't accept cockroaches in my room as a matter of course.

Now, the lizards...I'm surprised I've never seen one of those suckers inside, though maybe they're kept away by the air conditioning. When I'd walk to and from the grocery store I'd see a lizard on the sidewalk every couple of feet.
You forgot. Most of those things will climb or fly or hitchhike. Upper floor doesn't resolve the issue. And palmetto bugs aren't phased by pesticide. They survived the ice age that killed all the dinosaurs.

You forgot. Most of those things will climb or fly or hitchhike. Upper floor doesn't resolve the issue. And palmetto bugs aren't phased by pesticide. They survived the ice age that killed all the dinosaurs.

Uh...no. No, I didn't forget. I grew up in Colorado, land of hard freezes that kill off all the big bugs every year, so seeing them in my living space would have been a novel experience, to say the least. I do remember the bugs in my Oklahoma apartment (so. many. beetles.). I noticed this a lot in Texas, people acting like anyone who'd moved down from the north and wasn't 100% okay with insects in their living space was delusional. Fact of the matter is, though, while you do have to expect a certain degree of creepy crawlies in warmer/wetter regions, and while I'd expect to see them outside, it's not cockroaches and palmetto bugs every second of every day.

The "hitchhike" thing does highlight part of why I wouldn't let a cockroach in the room go without commenting at the front desk and going through my things, though -- when a friend of mine was battling a roach infestation she had to be really mindful of any bags she took to other people's houses. Wouldn't want to carry any little passengers home because I'd brushed off a roach encounter at the resort.

We had ants in our theme park view room in the tower at the contemporary. I was beyond annoyed, considering the amount of money it was costing me per night. I complained, and they refunded half of my stay.

We had ants in our theme park view room in the tower at the contemporary. I was beyond annoyed, considering the amount of money it was costing me per night. I complained, and they refunded half of my stay.
1. The housekeeping should be universal and they actually do a fantastic job
2. You're "there park view room" features a $400 per night surcharge for the window...hope you liked it :wave:

1. The housekeeping should be universal and they actually do a fantastic job
2. You're "there park view room" features a $400 per night surcharge for the window...hope you liked it :wave:

The theme park view is amazing. We were able to watch Wishes from our balcony. Around midnight of our 3rd night, they had another fireworks show that was not scheduled, and we still are not sure what it was. However, to watch fireworks over the castle from bed is phenomenal. Other than the ants, the room and balcony was worth every penny. We wouldn't hesitate to book again. In fact, we didn't :dogdance:

The theme park view is amazing. We were able to watch Wishes from our balcony. Around midnight of our 3rd night, they had another fireworks show that was not scheduled, and we still are not sure what it was. However, to watch fireworks over the castle from bed is phenomenal. Other than the ants, the room and balcony was worth every penny. We wouldn't hesitate to book again. In fact, we didn't :dogdance:

Had you ever scene the fireworks before? Cause it doesn't change much...just saying...

Instead of that much money for a 1970's hotel and a 10 minute fireworks...I'll do a 30 minute tap routine a la Gene Kelly for far less...standing offer ;)

Had you ever scene the fireworks before? Cause it doesn't change much...just saying...

Instead of that much money for a 1970's hotel and a 10 minute fireworks...I'll do a 30 minute tap routine a la Gene Kelly for far less...standing offer ;)

Scene? No. I have watched the fireworks millions of times. We live close, and are there often. As stated, we have no idea what impromptu show they did at midnight. It was after the park was closed, and certainly an added treat. Isn't it wonderful that we all have choices on how to spend our own money?

Scene? No. I have watched the fireworks millions of times. We live close, and are there often. As stated, we have no idea what impromptu show they did at midnight. It was after the park was closed, and certainly an added treat. Isn't it wonderful that we all have choices on how to spend our own money?

Easy off the sauce...my advice...you've "SEEN" it before.

The impromptu could have been a rehearsal...or a private convention show. Only two things that occur off the regular schedule typically.

Yeahhhhhhh that pretty much goes with anywhere warm and humid. At least all of the aforementioned insects don't make so much noise. Cicadas on the other hand... AUGH

Native Floridian here and I welcome the lizards anywhere. They eat those damn palmetto bugs. I despise them, but they are everywhere even in the cleanest hospitals. It's just a fact of life down here. Quick side story: I went in to pay for our climate controlled storage room and as I was sitting in the office, waiting for the manager on the phone, a palmetto bug the size of a small Buick strolled across the floor. He saw it and you could tell he was waiting for me to pitch a a fit. I didn't even blink, stood up and stomped on it and sat back down. He looked at me with an open mouth. It just never occurred to me not to, lol. I wonder if it would have been more lady-like of me to try to corral it towards the door :tiptoe:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter