Coast Guard people are not paid during the Federal Shutdown

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Here in Cape May, we have the fifth largest Coast Guard base in the country. This is the place where every enlisted Coastie has had basic training. Through Operation Fireside the Red Cross has organized a plan where recruits are hosted at local homes during Thanksgiving and Christmas day. We have participated ever year since we bought our Cape May home in 1998. I was shocked to learn the plight of the families who are stationed here. I heard about it on the Philadelphia news station.

Now the Cape May County has come together to try to help these families who are living without paychecks. The Coast Guard falls under Homeland Security, not the Armed Forces.

Look under news on the internet if you care to help. I have found articles from California and Massachusetts regarding communities who are helping, and I am sure all communities want to help these deserving families.

I read about this-a food bank has already been set up to assist these families. Just heartbreaking.

Coast Guard is the only branch of the Military not getting paid because apparently they aren't part of the military. They are part of the Department of Homeland Security.

Unfortunately, there are thousands not getting paid in any capacity. I love that communities are coming together to help all Federal employees. Food banks, restaurant offers, entertainment offers and now banks here in Colorado are offering interest free loans to get them by until they get paid. I am sure it is a little piece of mind in a horrible situation.

To be clear: they did get a check on Dec 31, and they won't miss a check until Jan 15. It does suck, but they haven't missed being paid yet.

The news actually showed a paycheck that read zero in the amount. That is another huge slap in the face for all government workers.

The coast guard is still paid on the 1st and 15th, so that was an error in the news article. They may have needed funding by the 11st in order for the pay on the 15th to be paid out, but that is merely speculation on my part.

https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/ppc/mas/#paydays
The fact is they are not getting paid whether it is on the 11th or the 15th. Four measly days difference.

The fact is they are not getting paid whether it is on the 11th or the 15th. Four measly days difference.
In theory, there are still a few days for something to happen and they still get paid as they should. I was correcting a factual error: there has not yet been a missed pay. So if families were need food pantries already, that would not have been because they have not been paid. I do think it is wrong that as it stands now, they will not be paid. And I understand the nature of military pay. I was in the Navy for 12+ years.

By Jan 17, all those furloughed will have missed a paycheck. Some started last week and each day since a group has missed a pay day.

Last edited:
In theory, there are still a few days for something to happen and they still get paid as they should. I was correcting a factual error: there has not yet been a missed pay. So if families were need food pantries already, that would not have been because they have not been paid. I do think it is wrong that as it stands now, they will not be paid. And I understand the nature of military pay. I was in the Navy for 12+ years.
No I heard families interviewed on NPR who said many were taking advantage of food banks for supplies & food to keep their cash as long as possible to pay things like mortgage/rent & utilities since they have no idea how long it’ll last still. Really sucks to live that way.

Don't most people begin to look at their monthly/weekly budget a couple of days before payday, especially if they have time on a weekend, to anticipate how and what bills they will/can pay?

I can see how folks would be anxious a few days before payday and not know if and when they'll get paid, especially lower pay scale employees.

A trip to a food bank might allow another bill to get paid, maybe keep the heat on.

No I heard families interviewed on NPR who said many were taking advantage of food banks for supplies & food to keep their cash as long as possible to pay things like mortgage/rent & utilities since they have no idea how long it’ll last still. Really sucks to live that way.
Exactly. It makes perfect sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter