CM's Living Quarters onboard

klug_bug2010

Mouseketeer
I have scoured high and low, but can't seem to find anything about this. With as many CM's onboard, how are their living conditions? Anyone know? I love cruising DCL, but feel guilty for having a nice room and they are all smiles, while they possibly have less than desirable quarters. Mainly just curious...

They have much better quarters than we had when I was in the Navy. Those are the men and women who you should feel bad for. It was and is common for the enlisted ranks to be in compartments with 10 to 50 of your closest shipmates with you. Marines on the "gator freighters" had it worse with more of them stuffed in a berthing compartment. Just saying.

I actually asked the cruise staff about this the last time I was on the Fantasy. I didn't get too much other than it's two to a room in a bunk bed style (if I remember correctly) and they have regular inspections of their cabins. I don't think there is a divider. Officers get their own room. Not sure about bathroom setups. I had one cast member say that the CM rooms on the Wish will be a bit larger, still have two to a room but there will be a curtain divider and each bed will have its own small TV. Of course, take the info for what it is...

I actually asked the cruise staff about this the last time I was on the Fantasy. I didn't get too much other than it's two to a room in a bunk bed style (if I remember correctly) and they have regular inspections of their cabins. I don't think there is a divider. Officers get their own room. Not sure about bathroom setups. I had one cast member say that the CM rooms on the Wish will be a bit larger, still have two to a room but there will be a curtain divider and each bed will have its own small TV. Of course, take the info for what it is...

Not all officers. It depends on the position. Some do have to share, but their cabins are slightly larger than non-officers.

Our cabins are quite ok for the amount of time we spend in them! My room has two bunk beds and we do have curtains that we can close. We have a little tv, fridge, desk and cupboards. And a cute little bathroom 😂 yes we have inspections so we must keep our rooms very tidy!

They have much better quarters than we had when I was in the Navy. Those are the men and women who you should feel bad for. It was and is common for the enlisted ranks to be in compartments with 10 to 50 of your closest shipmates with you. Marines on the "gator freighters" had it worse with more of them stuffed in a berthing compartment. Just saying.
Better than crew berthing (when I slept there), and about the same as my stateroom after commissioning

ETA: in the US Navy

My DH, who was a Lt.JG on a destroyer at the time, did an exchange program with a submariner for a couple of weeks. On his sub, and this was back in the 80s, even the junior officers had to hot rack.

My DH, who was a Lt.JG on a destroyer at the time, did an exchange program with a submariner for a couple of weeks. On his sub, and this was back in the 80s, even the junior officers had to hot rack.
I rode a Spruance class destroyer for a week once as a liaison. It felt like you could have played racquetball in the officer berthing I was in as opposed to our submarine officer staterooms. So everything is relative. DCL crew berthing looks fine to me.

When a married crew couple shares a room do they have a different setup other than bunk beds?

When a married crew couple shares a room do they have a different setup other than bunk beds?

I would doubt it because it is not that common. A ship is not going to create crew cabins that could potentially sit empty.

True, submarines are a different animal altogether. I did *one* day on a submarine and decided that was enough for this sailor. It redefines close quarters - and I did a tour on a minesweeper commissioned in 1954

True, submarines are a different animal altogether. I did *one* day on a submarine and decided that was enough for this sailor. It redefines close quarters - and I did a tour on a minesweeper commissioned in 1954
Similar story. I was in A school in San Diego and they brought us on a fast attack sub trying to recruit for sub duty. When they started talking "hot bunking" we said no thanks. That was 1974! Time really does fly.

Last edited:
I would doubt it because it is not that common. A ship is not going to create crew cabins that could potentially sit empty.

I’m guessing this depends on their role, but I have friends who are DCL performers - they’re married and share a room. However, each of them is assigned a separate room. It’s a weird policy and quite silly that one just sits empty on each sailing.

Retired Navy Sailor here also. There cabins are pretty nice albeit small, but having a bathroom is the real deal. The crew bar is also a really nice thing that we would have loved to have although a bad idea for a military ship...lol. We had over 100 females on my ship sharing one bathroom with about 8 showers and toilets before I made Chief Petty Officer. Then I moved to a three person room that was still smaller than their accommodations. I love Disney cruises and am more than happy to stay in an inside stateroom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter