CM at HS punched by guest over FPs

I don't know. That's why I asked my original question in this thread. Anything related to ride operations would be a safety concern.
Clearing FPs is not a safety concern. I really doubt there are any ride controls in those tablets, but even if there were door controls or an E-stop button, hitting those would not result in a safety concern. If you can access real ride controls of that panel it would be a massive failure of ride design and violate many standards.

It says the cast member did call security, at that point was probably too late... If I were her I would say I was calling for “help” from a manager to view their “missing” fastpasses, while in reality calling for security. Things as I can imagine had to be escalating before that lunatic started pushing buttons. Cast member probably just underestimated crazy. I see crazy from a mile away! CM should press charges 💯!

What safety related controls are in the FP panel?

Each ride has a couple different things. But from what I've heard from friends who have worked attractions, even the FP controls can range from preprogramed emergency announcements (Ride closed, evacuation of queue, fire) to E-Stops of ride in case of an emergency that occurs on their end.

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. What if the pre-show door closed on someone's hand because the woman hit that switch? What if an emergency announcement prompting an evacuation had gone off because of it and some people stampeded out of the queue?

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. If a child swinging on the chains in line is a concern, than some angry guest hitting controls is definitely one.

If someone punched me at work they would be taking a trip to the hospital before going to jail. If Disney fired me i would just get another job probably paying me more and not being outside in the heat. I would also have a lot of extra money laying around from suing Disney where they fired me for protecting myself. She is probably a young girl that doesn't know her rights and Disney talked her into not pressing charges because they think it looks bad for them. However, everything I've read it looks worse for them that they didn't press charges for her.

Also, if i saw someone getting through the fastpass line that didn't have a fastpass i would be a highly upset customer also. They are just trading one upset customer for another. I work hard to get my fastpasses and abide by the rules.

The comments made about the CM bearing some responsibility for the incident are probably the reasons why the CM won’t be pressing charges.

(To clarify, I don’t think the CM did anything wrong. But we’ve all heard comments that seem to place blame on the victim- particularly in assault cases.)

Obviously the guest who punched the CM was 100% out of line. But the CM also screwed up. They pushed the person’s hand away from the podium. The CM should not have physically engaged with the guest, while it could have screwed up the ride (wait times I guess?), nobody was in danger of being physically injured by the idiot pushing the buttons. The CM (inadvertently) escalated the situation. Obviously CM did not deserve to be punched or in anyway be abused like they were!
It's an impulse. Guests shouldn't be pressing the buttons, and if I were in a similar situation I'd probably do the same thing. We're not exactly sure what exactly the buttons do but let's just assume that mashing them might result in something not good happening and it's fair for a CM to be protective of that.

Feel like this is a repeat of that Toon Town story in the sense that we're playing monday morning quarterback for a story that ends up being an extremely rare occurrence. CMs are trained to deal with unruly guests but I'm guessing nobody was told to be prepared for a guest who got so angry that they'd start mashing the buttons on their console. If you've ever worked in a service position and something insane happens and you're forced to make a quick decision, it's hard. Things happen and you sometimes have to rely on your impulses to get yourself through.

Each ride has a couple different things. But from what I've heard from friends who have worked attractions, even the FP controls can range from preprogramed emergency announcements (Ride closed, evacuation of queue, fire) to E-Stops of ride in case of an emergency that occurs on their end.

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. What if the pre-show door closed on someone's hand because the woman hit that switch? What if an emergency announcement prompting an evacuation had gone off because of it and some people stampeded out of the queue?

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. If a child swinging on the chains in line is a concern, than some angry guest hitting controls is definitely one.
Not at all saying guests should be messing with the panels, and they should be charged, etc. I have no issue with the CM trying to stop the guest from touching it. But we don't need to sensationalize it further by claiming they had access to ride controls.

No one here is sensationalizing things though. The article states, "The cast member asked the woman stop pushing the buttons, warning her the buttons could affect the ride. " People are just going by that.
If those were actual controls for the ride and not the pre-ride, then the consequences could've been a lot worse. The CM had every right in the world to prevent interference of safety-critical controls.

This is all guesswork, but I imagine Disney has a safety valve for these rides in case someone does something stupid with the buttons. That said, I totally understand a CM trying to block someone from doing something stupid with the buttons. I can't imagine a more terrifying ride at Disney for that to happen.

Except Disney management would say behind closed doors they should have just let through the guests to even avoid that.

Didn't one of the DIS hosts even say as a CM that if a CM even extended their arms to push a guest away they would be in trouble even getting punched? Pretty sure it was on the show regarding the Disneyland incident.
I remember Ryno saying something along the lines of they would get fired for touching a guest no matter the circumstances.

Obviously the guest who punched the CM was 100% out of line. But the CM also screwed up. They pushed the person’s hand away from the podium. The CM should not have physically engaged with the guest, while it could have screwed up the ride (wait times I guess?), nobody was in danger of being physically injured by the idiot pushing the buttons. The CM (inadvertently) escalated the situation. Obviously CM did not deserve to be punched or in anyway be abused like they were!
Does that mean if pushing buttons with the possibility of injuring riders the CM should do nothing except watch?

As published in the Daily Mail:
Jessica Grines, 23, from Chicago, is said to have punched Disney World cast member, Taylor Gragert, 23, in the face during a July 13 altercation

For those who were race baiting, please STOP. Idiots come in all colors, shapes and forms.

The victim. Taylor, must work at the ToT lots of times, cause I distinctly remember her. She was extremely polite and what a CM should be. Seeing that ill behaved guests did something stupid does not surprise me, but the victim not pressing charges did. This does nothing but encourage idiots to continue the "all about me" attitude. That said, it is in the end her decision not to press charges.

DisneyWorld should at least have arrested the person based on recorded factual statements and then dropped charges if the victim decided not to. This at least would show people there are consequences to being closer to the Animal Gene pool that civilized humans.

I think it's interesting that none of the footage recorded about this incident has surfaced even though the Police Report said a variety of people recorded it on their cell phones. Disney probably had something to do with that .... especially since the public is still reeling from the D.L. Toon Town violence last week. (Too many visuals aren't good for business.)

I wonder what the guest thought pushing the buttons was going to accomplish? It's not like that would have helped her fast pass situation. Was she thinking, "Well, if I can't have fun on this ride I'll just mess it up for everybody!"? Was she trying to get people hurt or something?

Uh, what?

This is why CMs are too afraid to tackle unruly, rude or rule breaking guests.
Sad to say that Disney needs to employ more plain clothes security so CMs have immediate backup when an incident kicks off.
The uniformed security also need to get in quickly. When I had a guest threaten me some years ago I asked a CM to call security and he was reluctant to do so despite seeing what was going on. This cannot happen anymore, nor should they hold back as, with the DL brawl, someone could have been seriously hurt.
When Disney say rule breakers will be ejected they need to follow it up. Do it for line jumping, smoking within the parks or being drunk and obnoxious will send a message that any bad behaviour will not be tolerated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter