Club Level - Universal or Disney

N

nw6675

I've read a few posts comparing Universal and Disney's CL. Any somewhat recent comparisons for those who have stayed both? More specifically, why you like one over the other. Most posts I've seen are just that someone likes one, but not really why.

DH and I are going in May for 6 nights I keep flip flopping on where to stay (BWI CL, YC CL, Dolphin), but today I thought about CL at Universal.

Split stay? One over the other? I decided to post in the DIsney forum since it might get more insight :)

ETA: we aren't doing the parks at either. Just hanging out at the resorts, Citywalk, DS, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The,Portino has a great club which is mainly concerned with food. The club has 5 rooms. I counted 69 tables but haven’t counted the last room yet. No problem finding a table. I think the food is better the Disney’s. (Poly, CR and YC before the pandemic.
Hard Rock Club is not as nice. They have under 20 tables, it is difficult to find a table. Their food is not as good as Disney.
i’ve never been to the at RPR.

Portofino is a beautiful resort comparable tho YC. The prices are much less especially if you get an AP which starts at About $350. Last August we had a club 2 queen room for $380. Also you get a free express pass which is like having an infinite fast pass for every ride except Hagrids.

Disney Club Level is extremely overpriced for the product received. I haven’t stayed at Universal yet, but I’m going to in 2024 because the value is better for the deluxe hotels in particular club level.

I’d stay at the Four Seasons before choosing Disney Club Level which can sometimes be a similar price.

The biggest club value for me is convenience. Besides lunch, I don't have to think about finding foods, drinks, or snacks for my family while on vacation. It saves us a lot of time so we can enjoy the parks.

Unless you are really into convenience vs choice, I would book an Epcot resort without CL. We stayed BWI std and I saved $500/ night vs CL. There is a keurig in the room for morning coffee. We ate wherever, whenever we wanted and still spent way less overall than if we had stayed CL.

I think CL is convenient if you have small children and want snacks nearby at designated times or you want continual wine and beer. Or if you are trying to spend your kids’ inheritance.

If staying CL at UO, only Portofino is "worth it". We really enjoy portofino and think it's a great CL. HRH and RPR not worth it at all. The hotels are nice and the express passes are a wonderful benefit at UO deluxe hotels.

Disney, we love all of the CLs. Picking my favorite one is like choosing my favorite child. So go with the resort that appeals to you the most.
With CL, anywhere, its "worth it" if you use it and you have to put a big price tag on convenience. A big difference between UO and WDW CLs is that beer and wine are available all day at WDW vs UO only during evening apps, like 5-8pm.

Club Level is hands down better at Universal than at Disney especially if your talking about value for the price paid.

I have stayed at Disney CL at the BWI, both standard rooms and the deluxe rooms, AKL and the Grand Floridian Main building in both a theme park view and a 3 bedroom suite. We started staying CL in the mid 90's and just returned from a week stay CL at Universals PBR, so over a long span of time. All that said it's often hard to compare CL over a space of time.

The breakfast food is more varied and more hot foods at PBR than at any of the Disney resorts. Dinners at PBR are fully expected to be a meal rather than small apps. at the Disney resorts. The downside is the beer, wine and hard cider are for the dinner time only and unlike Disney they will not serve alcohol at any other times.

PBR also has a stash of board games, cards and Dominos to keep young and old alike busy when the weather just won't cooperate. Disney used to have a large selection of movies that you could sign out on those rainy days. I used to think the Disney CL CM were absolutely the best hands down, but many of the great ones have retired. Years ago if I needed distilled water for a C-Pac machine or lost a screw out of a pair of glasses the Disney CL CM would be right there to fix everything. If I couldn't get a restaurant booking for a special evening or knew I was going to miss a FP because our flight was late the Disney CL CM would make magic happen for us. All those special touches just don't happen at Disney CL anymore' but the price to stay CL at Disney has doubled or in some cases tripled.

I think you have the right idea to do a split stay and find out for yourself. I do think PBR is the nicest resort to stay at if you don't plan to do any parks, and I have stayed at all the Disney deluxe resorts. Good luck with your choice and let us all know what you think when you return.

Thanks all! I booked PBR to make sure I had the bird in hand. $3900 for 6 nights is a steal compared to Disney CL.

Bonus perk: being able to truthfully say we aren't going to Disney to DD12..although I asked her what it would take for her to not be mad if we went to WDW without her. She said $15 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! I booked PBR to make sure I had the bird in hand. $3900 for 6 nights is a steal compared to Disney CL.

Bonus perk: being able to truthfully say we aren't going to Disney to DD12..although I asked her what it would take for her to not be mad if we went to WDW. She said $15 😅
I have stayed at PBR in club level and it was great with a bunch of hungry 8th graders we got our money's worth. They even had some GF options for me at breakfast. We didn't make it to the evening service as the kids were too busy riding rides. We did go back for a lunch break and they had a nice variety of cheese and cold cuts and crudité. Just being able to grab some drinks from the cooler when the food wasn't out was great. I haven't stayed CL at Disney because we have DVC so I can't compare and contrast for you. What about a split stay 3 days at each WDW & UO? City walk wouldn't keep me entertained enough for a 6 day no park trip.

That's what I told S. He doesn't want to split, but I don't want us to have to drive anywhere!
We have poked our heads into the clubs at the end of the night when leaving the park and they have never been busy any time we have looked. You could see a movie, play mini golf, get matching tattoos, and listen to Jimmy Buffet on repeat at Margaritaville all in one day there. Since its May, maybe plant to spend a day at Volcano bay on the lazy and not so lazy rivers.

We have poked our heads into the clubs at the end of the night when leaving the park and they have never been busy any time we have looked. You could see a movie, play mini golf, get matching tattoos, and listen to Jimmy Buffet on repeat at Margaritaville all in one day there. Since its May, maybe plant to spend a day at Volcano bay on the lazy and not so lazy rivers.
Funny you say that! EK wants me to get her name so bad!😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter