Clothes for fluffy girls question

Julie Amber

Mouseketeer
I am a bigger person and don’t have a lot of summer clothes because we live where it is pretty cold year round. I don’t want to buy a whole new wardrobe to go on this trip, but I don’t want to be uncomfortable either. I have some really comfortable skirts that are light weight that I thought might work for walking around the parks. But then I was wondering about ride harnesses that go between your legs and thought that might cause a problem. Honestly I haven’t been to DL in 12 years and can’t remember how many rides/which rides have harnesses like that. So help a girl out- should I just wear jeans or would skirts be okay? And what rides might this cause a problem on? I was thinking Guardians for sure

Guardians should be fine, the strap goes across your lap, not between your legs. The only ride I can think of where the harness goes between your legs is Silly Symphony Swings, but those who wear skirts have reported being able to make it work. There was a thread recently discussing this, if I remember right.

There was a very long thread on skirts this summer but I haven't looked to hard to find it again. Most agreed you'll have no issues and you can even ride the carousel side-saddle though they request you do so facing the center rather than out.

I'm planning to wear dresses/tunics with some capri length leggings under them. Amazon has Viv or Leggings Depot brands in plus size for like $12.

There are three attractions in DCA that have a middle strap that goes between your legs, one of which (Soarin) only uses the middle strap for kids that do not measure a certain height, which doesn't sound like it will be you. There are no middle straps in any DL Park rides.

Silly Symphony Swings and Jumping Jellyfish have middle straps. JJ is more of a younger kids ride, though adults do ride (usually with their kids).

Skipping these two rides (or making the strap work) won't be a big deal. I would think a flowy skirt would work better than a more form fitting type, for getting in and out of ride vehicles, but shorts underneath solves that issue.

Guardians should be fine, the strap goes across your lap, not between your legs. The only ride I can think of where the harness goes between your legs is Silly Symphony Swings, but those who wear skirts have reported being able to make it work. There was a thread recently discussing this, if I remember right.

Or if if you aren't taller than the mark on Soarin' ;)

Other issues with skirts (depending on length) is getting in and out of low rides like Splash mountain, Space, Matterhorn etc but as PP mentioned leggings or bike shorts would solve that. And unless its July-September I've always been comfortable walking around Disney in jeans or full length leggings :)

Some sort of leggings are your friend. Both for getting in and out of some rides and also for any winds that sometimes whip up!

ETA: leggings under the dress. :)

Last edited:
I dont have any shorts that work with my body type, so I've opted to leggings! They're not as thick as jeans, so you dont feel that miserable leg sweat during the mid afternoon, and you dont have to worry about chaffing, which has been a huge issue for me in the past.
If you're not comfortable with wearing leggings on their own, try wearing a light, flowy tunic on top with enough length to cover the bum. You could even coordinate the colors to match your favorite Disney Princess! :teeth:

Yes I’m another one for leggings in the parks, Capri length in warmer weather and full length in colder weather.

I'm a very fluffy girl and I have to wear wide leg pants. I looked on www.womanwithin.com and www.roamans.com for them and found several. I have now 3 pairs of cropped(I'm 6 ft. tall and can't wear capris they are too short on me for my comfort) pants that are very comfortable and were only for 3x were $19.99 to $24.99. I also found a pair of crinkle material cropped pants with wide legs. They have several colors. They also have them in regular leg size. I don't wear dresses or skirts that often so I can't offer any help there. But look at the websites I linked and you'll be surprised what you find. Oh they also have leggings too. Have fun on your trip. :flower:

On the flip side, my wife wears trousers for visiting DL. She tends to wear chinos or cargo style, rather than jeans. She's never been one for skirts and finds wearing trousers a lot more comfortable.

I usually wear jeans or capris. I've worn a dress but wore yoga shorts underneath for the rub.

I'd vote for leggings too under a skirt. Seats like Radiator Springs Racers and the Matterhorn are really low. At some point, while you are trying to sit or get out your knees will be up higher than your bum.

I usually wear jeans or capris. I've worn a dress but wore yoga shorts underneath for the rub.

I'd vote for leggings too under a skirt. Seats like Radiator Springs Racers and the Matterhorn are really low. At some point, while you are trying to sit or get out your knees will be up higher than your bum.

I am trying to figure out what to wear this trip I have never been this early in the year before, I am thinking jean capris will be the easiest or maybe some legging capris and a long shirt... But I am not the most graceful person haha and always am scrambling to get in and out of both those rides, same with space mountain... my hubby just shakes his head....

I am trying to figure out what to wear this trip I have never been this early in the year before, I am thinking jean capris will be the easiest or maybe some legging capris and a long shirt... But I am not the most graceful person haha and always am scrambling to get in and out of both those rides, same with space mountain... my hubby just shakes his head....

:cutie: I personally prefer jeans or denim capris because I like having pockets! I like being able to keep my lip balm and my phone in my pocket while walking around. It's convenient to have it in my pocket for checking wait times, etc. When going on attractions I do normally put my phone in my (little) purse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter