Closing eyes on Flight of passage?

For people with mtion sickness, closing their eyes is a reasonable option. While the base still moves, if you close your eyes, it isn't as bad, and you can open them when you wish.
I would encourage him to go and just close his eyes as needed.

My son is afraid of heights and get motion sickness. But he really wants to ride flight of passage. He’s been on Soarin and loved it but he did have to close his eyes a few times. My question is can you close your eyes and still stay pretty safe? Does the ride itself move a lot or is it mostly just the screen?

If he needs to close his eyes he will be fine. It’s mostly a screen attraction and he will be secure in the banshee for its limited movements.

My son is afraid of heights and get motion sickness. But he really wants to ride flight of passage. He’s been on Soarin and loved it but he did have to close his eyes a few times. My question is can you close your eyes and still stay pretty safe? Does the ride itself move a lot or is it mostly just the screen?

I felt very secure on the ride though I am a motorcycle rider so I am used to the position. I thought the physical motion was about the same as Soarin'. The most intense part of the ride comes through the visuals. So yes, you can close your eyes and be safe.

One suggestion to help with the motion sickness. I started to feel sick on my first ride, feeling very visually overloaded. Part of motion sickness is when your ears, sensing the physical motion, and your eyes, the visual images, get out of sync in your brain. But then I remembered part of the ride story. It is "follow the ride leader". Once I found and focused my attention on the ride leader I immediately settled down. I quickly switched from "being taken for a ride" to feeling like I was driving the ride. By watching the movement of the ride leader I was able to anticipate the ride motion and feel like I was in control of my motion.

I get severe motion sickness and cannot ride Everest ,Star wars or spinning type rides. I have ridden twice now and only felt a bit off when it was over. My husband rode once and won't do it again. I focused on the lead rider as well and never had to close my eyes. It was an incredible experience. The air in your face makes a huge difference. I'm taking my 5 year old grand son in Nov and he is afraid of heights and gets motion sickness so abit apprehensive that he will freak out. Worth giving it a shot.

Closing eyes on some rides and experiences (Runaway train makes me totally nauseous with or without eyes closed) make motion sickness worse but it definitely makes it better for me (and all who I know) on FOP. I even suggested it 2 weeks ago with my son in law on FOP who didn't feel well months ago on FOP and it worked really well when he simply closed his eyes on and off. It worked for husband also. And for daughter.

I don't know why but it works. Immediately close when instinct kicks in and then reopen to experience the fabulous FOP. Then close again at first sign of a problem. I would not keep closed for the entire ride. Certainly not needed and you'll miss an extraordinary experience.

I don't suffer from motion sickness, but FoP was the first ride to ever make me think I might. I love Everest, Dinosaur, Star Tours, yet it was this ride that made me get that knot in my stomach & lump in my throat. I did close my eyes on occasion and that did help me. But like I said, I'm not particularly prone to it and recover fairly fast.

Is this ride similar to Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey?

Not remotely (IMO). Everyone’s different but Forbidden Journey made me extremely motion sick and FoP didn’t give me trouble.

Forbidden Journey you’re in a car on a track but staring at various screens, plus occasionally being tipped backwards (barf). FoP you’re physically stationary (other than the ways the seat moves) and staring at a single giant IMAX-like screen. They’re different enough that people could be affected by one but not the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter