Closest and most convenient hotel to Disneyland - Not Disney-owned

DMA832

Earning My Ears
Every time I have visited Disneyland, I’ve stayed at the Disneyland hotel. I love staying there but I am looking for an alternative option that is as convenient and close but not Grand Californian or Pixar Place and ideally less expensive. Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help!

We have stayed several times at the Best Western Park Place Inn. This is directly across the street from the DL/CA entrance. You cant get any closer than this. It is not fancy and seems a bit tired but they are clean and a great place to crash at a reasonable price. To change it up a bit we are going to stay at the Best Western Anaheim Plus this Jan 2024

Park Vue is right at the crosswalk over harbor Blvd. they don’t charge for parking. We enjoyed our stay there.
Park Vue looks pretty good especially because we might be a group of 6 and they have rooms for that occupancy at reasonable rates. How’s the pool?

Ideally, I’m looking for the Swan/Dolphin of Disneyland, if that makes sense. It doesn’t need to be new but I don’t think I want an older motel.

If you're familiar with the Swan/Dolphin, you may know that they are Marriott hotels that are each also associated with a specific Marriott brand.

Since the Dolphin is a Sheraton, you may find that the Sheraton Park Hotel just behind California Adventure to be similar in quality. Even though the Swan is a Westin, the Westin near Disneyland is more luxurious and probably even a tad nicer than the Swan Reserve in WDW.

If you're used to taking transportation to the entrance of WDW, you may want to consider the Hyatt Regency Orange County which has a direct shuttle to the park entrance that leaves timely every 1/2 hour and costs $6 per day.

The vast majority of hotels right across the park entrance are lower quality and only command their high price due to the proximity to Disneyland. Most of the ones that are at the same price as the Swan/Dolphin will be older and not as nice.

Another good option are some of the Hilton and other resorts that are close to the Toy Story parking lot. You can just walk to the Toy Story parking and take the buses in. Some are the nicer newer type hotels and many have larger rooms at a lower price than the rooms right across the street. It’s what we do when we are low on our DVC points to stay on property. Another advantage of this approach is you can pre clear security a the bus and not have to deal with it at the entrance. Hope this helps.

I believe the Westin allows you to walk to the parks through Downtown Disney, just as if you were on site.

I haven’t stayed there but it looks very nice!

Ideally, I’m looking for the Swan/Dolphin of Disneyland, if that makes sense. It doesn’t need to be new but I don’t think I want an older motel.
The Hyatt House is nice, with kids it’s a 15 minute walk to the gate (so closer than Swan/Dolphin is to DHS) without kids probably 10-12 minutes. It has free breakfast, a real Starbucks and a Blaze Pizza, as well as a Walgreens enabling purchasing of necessities at normal prices.

The rule of Disneyland off site hotels is that the closer you are the lower end the motel chain - but just because they’re low end chains that doesn’t mean they’re not kept up. It’s just all over the map in terms of cleanliness and upkeep, including some that are quite well maintained. But anything directly across will be smallish, dark, and intended more to be functional than upscale.

I am looking for an alternative option that is as convenient and close but not Grand Californian or Pixar Place and ideally less expensive
There isn't anything that is as convenient, but there are some that are close to DL. As others have mentioned, most of them are not high quality but many are clean, decent motels. The nicest hotel I can think of that's closest is the Courtyard Marriott on Harbor. Honestly, I've never stayed there because it's priced so much higher than the neighboring motels that I'd just as soon spend the money to stay on site or choose a motel right across the street.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions for hotels farther away. Some have shuttles, some are close to Toy Story. I've stayed at the Hilton and the Marriott at the convention center and while they are lovely hotels, I did NOT like walking to and from the Toy Story lot and usually chose to walk to DLR, which I also did not like. Many on here have mentioned ubering but I've never done that from the resort area.

Park Vue looks pretty good especially because we might be a group of 6 and they have rooms for that occupancy at reasonable rates. How’s the pool?

Their pool is in the middle of the parking lot, but it is surrounded by a fence (and last time we were there, the fence was covered with greenery). It's not fancy but nice enough, and my kids always enjoyed swimming there. The Desert Inn is also right near the crosswalk and has an indoor pool/spa and free breakfast, which the Park Vue does not. Although Park Vue is still our preferred place to stay.

If you have a larger party, Home2Suites and Element are good options. They are not super close walking distance, but the rooms are larger and both include hot breakfast.

Camelot Inn and grand legacy have suites as well. Desert Palms has a wide variety of suites and includes hot breakfast.

We have not stayed, but courtyard marriott has rooms that sleep 6. We always want to stay there but it’s a bit pricey for us.

We absolutely loved the Westin! It’s a beautiful hotel. I believe they have suite options as well.

Hope that helps!

If price was not a restriction, I would stay at The Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. It is a quick walk and a very nice hotel. Very clean and the rooms are a good size!

For someone on a tighter budget, does anyone have any experience with the Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn?

I believe the Westin allows you to walk to the parks through Downtown Disney, just as if you were on site.

I haven’t stayed there but it looks very nice!
Hmmm, kind of. You technically have to go around and enter the security near Disneyland Hotel and the total walk time is just enough that you will be dreaming of staying at the Grand Cal as you walk that extra 10 to 15 min to the Westin if you feet are tired after a long day. It also makes mid-day trips back to the hotel less easy for those with little ones. With that said, the chances you can tailgate into the security gates and walk through the Grand Cal lobby and use those entrances into Downtown Disney or into GCA are high (I've never had to use my room key outside of very late evening/early morning hours on that left gate that leads up to the lobby), it always seemed to be open almost anytime there was decent foot traffic in the area.

How you should go -

1689755014802.png

If you cut through -

1689755217250.png

1689755161417.png

Saves you about 3 to 5 min of walking.

As others have said, most places right across the street are motels. We've stayed at Hyatt House, which was about a 15 minute walk and a nice hotel. We've also stayed at Hojo, which is further up Harbor but alot of people like it. If you're open to taking a shuttle, look into Candy Cane Inn or Hyatt Regency.

The last time we stayed on Harbor we were woken multiple times a night by loud cars. That was in a motel-style place.

Another thing about Harbor—there are guys yelling at everyone through megaphones at the Disneyland property entrance. They were shouting about religion and politics. If you walk from anywhere on Harbor you'll encounter these guys around park opening and closing times. This doesn't bother everyone, but it was way too stressful for us and we won't be staying on Harbor again.

Hmmm, kind of. You technically have to go around and enter the security near Disneyland Hotel and the total walk time is just enough that you will be dreaming of staying at the Grand Cal as you walk that extra 10 to 15 min to the Westin if you feet are tired after a long day. It also makes mid-day trips back to the hotel less easy for those with little ones. With that said, the chances you can tailgate into the security gates and walk through the Grand Cal lobby and use those entrances into Downtown Disney or into GCA are high (I've never had to use my room key outside of very late evening/early morning hours on that left gate that leads up to the lobby), it always seemed to be open almost anytime there was decent foot traffic in the area.

How you should go -

View attachment 778916

If you cut through -

View attachment 778918

View attachment 778917

Saves you about 3 to 5 min of walking.
At least you can exit via the grand to go back to the westin! 😉 we did this route in the morning from the Westin and would mobile order coffee from the coffee house at the DLH. ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter