CLOSE hotels.. i mean motels...

deannaf87

DIS Veteran
Planning our summer trip and I have a just turned 6 year old who is distraught at the idea of his first non stroller trip :rolleyes1:rolleyes1 . I also have a 30 year old husband whose knees have seen better days (and those days were in high school football). Friday Night Lights y'all, those back room knee injections are real.

All that said, I'm really only interested in the hotels directly across from the Harbor entrance or very close to it.

The Desert Inn has peaked my interest due to the price. Has anyone stayed there recently? Is it decent enough? I really only ask that it is clean. It is about $300 less than the Best Western Anaheim Inn, which was another option I was looking at and my current favorite (not considering price).

Would like a continental breakfast but its not a deal breaker.

We've done the Best Western Park Place and were happy with it.

Also, in the running are Grand Legacy (but that live music thing sounds horrible), Park Vue, Tropicana, Camelot, and Candy Cane (with the bus option).

Give me all the opinions! Am I missing a hidden gem? Should I park anything off my list for good?

I would think any of the options are good but I like the Candy Cane because of the bus given the knee issues. The bus runs like clockwork so no worries there. It is also a bit quieter down at that end of the block (except for the screams from Guardians of the Galaxy :) ). That music from the Grand Legacy is LOUD - I just can't understand why that is even happening but maybe some people enjoy it.

I would think any of the options are good but I like the Candy Cane because of the bus given the knee issues. The bus runs like clockwork so no worries there. It is also a bit quieter down at that end of the block (except for the screams from Guardians of the Galaxy :) ). That music from the Grand Legacy is LOUD - I just can't understand why that is even happening but maybe some people enjoy it.

My husband I were looking at the Grand Legacy and saw that disclaimer and simultaneously made a disgusted face. Not our thing.

I’ve only stayed at park vue, several times, and street noise or music wasn’t an issue at all. Quiet except for the occasional child running past the door in the morning. I love how close it is. Just a few steps to the crossing light on Harbor. I’ve heard good things about candy cane but the price is always more and I would rather not rely on a shuttle. Park vue has a pretty big selection of free breakfast. Not the greatest food but better than nothing I guess :). Also, if you’ll have a car the free parking is a plus and you can park there the morning you arrive, even if your room isn’t ready, and all day the day you leave after checking out.

the deal breaker is not the continental breakfast....but the accommodations you need to make for your son and husband. I always thought that the number one reason folks wanted a lodging across the street was to keep the Disney magic bubble going, not to save walking distance, but to prevent a lengthy walk from becoming a trudge when folks are tired, kids cranky and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours.....that Disney Bubble. I would consider keeping the stroller for the child and exploring the available opportunities for an EVC for you husband....there is no shame in those accommodations, because the walk to the park gates is nothing when you consider the walk from Main street Station to Pooh corner, that long walk and wait at Indy, or from Main Street to Toontown

the deal breaker is not the continental breakfast....but the accommodations you need to make for your son and husband. I always thought that the number one reason folks wanted a lodging across the street was to keep the Disney magic bubble going, not to save walking distance, but to prevent a lengthy walk from becoming a trudge when folks are tired, kids cranky and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours.....that Disney Bubble. I would consider keeping the stroller for the child and exploring the available opportunities for an EVC for you husband....there is no shame in those accommodations, because the walk to the park gates is nothing when you consider the walk from Main street Station to Pooh corner, that long walk and wait at Indy, or from Main Street to Toontown

If it hits the fan and we need to get a stroller for him, we will get him a park one. We're flying so I don't want to rent an outside stroller for the full vacation that he might not even need. But since we can't take the park stroller back to the hotel....

My husband isn't at the ECV stage yet, but more the "I will loudly complain the whole walk to the hotel each night as we pass plenty of decent hotels and gross you out with details of my 2005 ACL surgery" stage. So maybe I'm less worried about his knees more worried about my sanity :P

We've done BWPPI and Tropicana multiple times but prefer the BW. The Tropicana is just fine but no breakfast. This year we're headed down in November and will be giving the Desert Inn a try because we got a great deal. I'm all about that short walk so I'll only stay in those hotels on Harbor across from the parks.

In your case I'd stay at the Park Vue Inn. We have stayed there before and we liked it a lot. I love that I can make myself waffles in the morning there. :)

We have stayed at the Desert Inn several times and we like it - we are staying again in May and in Oct. Clean, friendly staff, the bfast is nothing amazing but we are not really bfast ppl and just grab a banana/pastry and some juice. They have a water dispenser at the front desk that has the coldest water! We always fill up our bottles on our way to the parks ;)

We have also stayed at the Tropicana and that was comparable to the DI&S, the pool is nicer. I know there remodeled not long ago - I think we stayed 2 years ago? The other one we tried was the HoJo but when they still had the amazing family and friends (I think that is what it was) promo and we got the room for like $99 a night. They dont do those anymore, if they did we would stay there again. Nice rooms and pool.

If it hits the fan and we need to get a stroller for him, we will get him a park one. We're flying so I don't want to rent an outside stroller for the full vacation that he might not even need. But since we can't take the park stroller back to the hotel....

My husband isn't at the ECV stage yet, but more the "I will loudly complain the whole walk to the hotel each night as we pass plenty of decent hotels and gross you out with details of my 2005 ACL surgery" stage. So maybe I'm less worried about his knees more worried about my sanity :P
My husband has really bad knees too - no ECV either - and I do not have to hear about his surgeries (8 on one and 11 on the other with a knee replacement 10 years ago) I helped him recover and they took pictures :crazy2:

When DD was 6 we went to WDW and what we did was we bought a cheap stroller in the hotel shop - WDW has a really nice not-quite-umbrella stroller in their resort shops. You could always go to the nearby Target, get one there and just leave it behind or take it with you if it helps going through the airport.

We stayed at the Fairfield, I think it had better prices so it was a fit for us.

No breakfast, but we ended up having prime deliver things like bananas and bagels etc to start the dat

I’d stick with BWPPI. My sis stayed at the Anaheim in and didn’t like it in comparison.

I’ve stayed at Camelot. It’s nice but no food.

Desert in it’s been awhile. But the indoor pool is so gross it’s unusable and the meal is inedible.

Park vue inn is often recommended but I have no personal al experience.

Desert Inn is our go to if the price is right. It's not fancy, but it's clean and you really can't beat the location. The breakfast has carbs, carbs, and more carbs, and hard boiled eggs. I personally don't think the BWPPI is worth an extra $300.

We took our twins for their 6th birthday in January and it was the first trip without a stroller. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut, walked at least once most days (still did naps/afternoon breaks), and did 6 days in the park plus the zoo and Knott's. The kids were fine. So if you need any reassurance I'll give it to you that the kid will be fine. His father may be the bigger problem.

If it hits the fan and we need to get a stroller for him, we will get him a park one. We're flying so I don't want to rent an outside stroller for the full vacation that he might not even need.

Fwiw, we had only had a stroller for Disneyland. At home we wore ds or he walked.

For our first Wdw trip, which was when he was 6.5, we brought the maclaren umbrella stroller. Let it be his choice.

It never got unfurled and stayed in the entry area of the room the whole time. Making it his choice was good imo.

My husband isn't at the ECV stage yet, but more the "I will loudly complain the whole walk to the hotel each night as we pass plenty of decent hotels and gross you out with details of my 2005 ACL surgery" stage.

Hmm. Dh gets complainy but when he rejects righteous solutions like a scooter he now knows he gets to shush. That’s after he damaged his Achilles while overdoing a couch to 5k running program, accepted the word of a fat phobic orthopedist that nothing could be done and to stay off it (when he walked up to 3 miles to and from transit for work each day and we had Wdw in a matter of weeks), got a cane which messed up his knee then hip then back, but didn’t want to be “that big guy” in the scooter. Nope. I won’t hear it anymore.

I recommend a similar reaction.

And while I’ve never stayed there, the DI seems to be fine.

CCI works very well for us. Great customer service, clean rooms, generous breakfast (delivered to the room with the Premium Rooms), private shuttle that runs on time, very helpful drivers, etc. My parents are at the "I think you need to rent ECVs, but you don't think you need them yet" stage, so the CCI is a good compromise. Also, we really like that there are 2 convenience stores right next door in case we need something quickly. And having the 24/7 CVS right across Katella brings peace of mind, too. The Grand Legacy is off our list -- the music was so loud, we could hear it across the street.

We stayed at Desert Inn and were happy. Sure the decor is old but it's clean and spacious. We had a Parlour Suite. Breakfast is basic but included and right across the street. Great location. There is an indoor pool but we didn't use it. We would stay there again.
I have a few pictures in my trip report.

We stay 80% of the time at the Camelot Inn. They have very large rooms. The rooms are always clean and the water pressure is good. It's right next to the McDonalds so that's also a plus. The pool is nothing to write home about and there is no breakfast. The prices are usually very good if you book early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter