Cleanest walking distance motel?

aliceindisneyland

DIS Veteran
Over the last couple years it seems housekeeping at BWPPI has gone downhill. It's not gross, just not as clean as I have come to expect over many years of staying there. For instance, on our trip this month, over our 2 full days only the beds were made so-so, trash was removed, and *some* of the dirty towels in the bathtub were removed each day. :confused3

For us the benefit to BWPPI is that it's the devil I know. :rotfl: It costs more than some of the other motels, but we save at least $40 a day by not ending up at River Belle Terrace for a time- and money-sucking breakfast. (IMO the breakfast at BWPPI isn't great but the kids love it and DH eats enough that we don't have to stop til lunch in the parks.) I'd be happy to stay anywhere close with a smaller (or no) breakfast though if I felt more comfortable about cleanliness; it will probably all even out.

I'd love to know if anyone has been impressed recently over the cleanliness of any of the walking-distance motels.

I would particularly love info about the cleanliness of the old buildings at Ramada Maingate At the Park because I just booked 3 separate trips there for Aug, Sept, Oct. because they were cheap, just in case I decide against BWPPI.

Over the last couple years it seems housekeeping at BWPPI has gone downhill. It's not gross, just not as clean as I have come to expect over many years of staying there. For instance, on our trip this month, over our 2 full days only the beds were made so-so, trash was removed, and *some* of the dirty towels in the bathtub were removed each day. :confused3 For us the benefit to BWPPI is that it's the devil I know. :rotfl: It costs more than some of the other motels, but we save at least $40 a day by not ending up at River Belle Terrace for a time- and money-sucking breakfast. (IMO the breakfast at BWPPI isn't great but the kids love it and DH eats enough that we don't have to stop til lunch in the parks.) I'd be happy to stay anywhere close with a smaller (or no) breakfast though if I felt more comfortable about cleanliness; it will probably all even out. I'd love to know if anyone has been impressed recently over the cleanliness of any of the walking-distance motels. I would particularly love info about the cleanliness of the old buildings at Ramada Maingate At the Park because I just booked 3 separate trips there for Aug, Sept, Oct. because they were cheap, just in case I decide against BWPPI.

My mom has no issues there, she stays there every time she goes. I have stayed there a couple times and have no complaints

We are staying at Park Vue Inn next week i have heard lots of good things about it, its right across the street recently remodeled free parking and breakfast

We stay (4 or 5 times now) at Desert Inn and Suites. They have a variety of rooms designs. My group can be 2 or 3, up to 8 people.

If you've stayed at BWPPI, you know where DI&S is located.

With each of the stays we have never had any problems.

I've considered trying other close places on Harbor but DI&S always has the lowest rate when I'm booking.

Geemo

The Candy Cane is spotless every time we are there. Even the parking lot is very clean.

In the last 18 months we have stayed in.

Anabella Hotel - we were fairly happy and the rooms were fairly clean.

Camerlot Inn - We stayed here and were very happy, the room was clean and the bed comfy.

Castle Inn and Suites - We were here in March and the new rooms are nice. The were super clean and maybe a little too clean as you could really smell the bleach in the bathroom.

We are trying the tropicana next in September.

Our last trip we stayed at Desert Inn & Suites. Neat as a pin. Our rooms were cleaned daily from top to bottom, including vacuuming. Can't beat that 3-minute walk to the park either!

We've already made reservations there for our November trip. :)

Candy Cane Inn....very clean and good breakfast (lots of choices). Management is good, always responsive. It is a well kept family run place. (and if you aren't up for the easy 10 minute walk....free shuttle.....but the walk is easy, same side of Harbor as the park)

We stayed at Park Vue a couple weeks ago. My hubby was an executive housekeeper for a luxury brand many moons ago. When we check into a room he does a full inspection. (I can't stand it) I mean headboards off the wall kind of inspection. I normally just give him the room to himself while he goes a little nuts. He was against staying at Park View because he doesn't stay at "grubby, little motels". This is a pain at Disneyland because it severely limits our hotel choices.

Well - aside from a little dirt behind the bathroom door this was one of the CLEANEST rooms he'd ever encountered. We've stayed at 5 star hotels and he always seems to find something. He was beyond impressed and after fighting with me about staying here he left them a 5 star review on Trip Advisor. If my picky hubby declared it clean you can take that to the bank!! ;)

Over the last couple years it seems housekeeping at BWPPI has gone downhill. It's not gross, just not as clean as I have come to expect over many years of staying there. For instance, on our trip this month, over our 2 full days only the beds were made so-so, trash was removed, and *some* of the dirty towels in the bathtub were removed each day. :confused3

For us the benefit to BWPPI is that it's the devil I know. :rotfl: It costs more than some of the other motels, but we save at least $40 a day by not ending up at River Belle Terrace for a time- and money-sucking breakfast. (IMO the breakfast at BWPPI isn't great but the kids love it and DH eats enough that we don't have to stop til lunch in the parks.) I'd be happy to stay anywhere close with a smaller (or no) breakfast though if I felt more comfortable about cleanliness; it will probably all even out.

I'd love to know if anyone has been impressed recently over the cleanliness of any of the walking-distance motels.

I would particularly love info about the cleanliness of the old buildings at Ramada Maingate At the Park because I just booked 3 separate trips there for Aug, Sept, Oct. because they were cheap, just in case I decide against BWPPI.

We stayed at the Ramada Maingate a couple of weeks ago. While the rooms are initially nice and clean, maid service is terrible. There are no maid signs at all, the only way to signal you're out of the room is to take the Do Not Disturb sign off. When my DH asked a maid for towels she flat out said no.:scared1: So I asked another one and she said ten minutes. Never showed so I called the front desk to ask for some. When we got back we had two bath towels and about ten hand towels for a family of five. In a four night stay they finally "cleaned" the room on day three and LEFT NO TOWELS! All they really did was make the beds and empty the trash. My kids had knocked the shower cap etc off the back of the toilet (it's curved so it kept happening every time someone used the restroom, I gave up picking them up) and the stuff was still there on the floor. So given your description of your experience I'd say you wouldn't be happy.

That said, I'm a former maid, worked in a major hotel here in Vegas for seven and a half years so I tend to give the maids a break. It's damn hard work cleaning up after other people. I go out of my way to prep the room, cleaning up, putting all personal stuff away and gathering things into neat little piles so all they have to do is sweep in and sweep out. We had to clean every room top to bottom, change sheets, scrub bathroom dust and vacuum everyday in every room. I do not expect that level of service but I do expect at least some service and TOWELS! I personally think I just got a lazy maid (have worked with more than a few in my day) and other than the actual service, I found the rooms very clean so I will most likely give them a second chance.

In the last 18 months we have stayed in.

Anabella Hotel - we were fairly happy and the rooms were fairly clean.

Camelot Inn - We stayed here and were very happy, the room was clean and the bed comfy.

Castle Inn and Suites - We were here in March and the new rooms are nice. The were super clean and maybe a little too clean as you could really smell the bleach in the bathroom.

We are trying the tropicana next in September.

Yes to this! :thumbsup2 We've stayed in both. The Camelot is closer but the Castle has a slightly more whimsical facade. Neither have breakfast though but McDonalds is right across the parking lot from the Camelot and you can see the fireworks from the pool deck. I'd probably vote Camelot for those reasons but they were both very, very clean.

ETA: The service at the Castle Inn was extremely prompt and professional - better than many 4* corporate properties we've been to.

Thanks to all! This is very helpful information!

We stayed at Park Vue a couple weeks ago. My hubby was an executive housekeeper for a luxury brand many moons ago. When we check into a room he does a full inspection. (I can't stand it) I mean headboards off the wall kind of inspection. I normally just give him the room to himself while he goes a little nuts. He was against staying at Park View because he doesn't stay at "grubby, little motels". This is a pain at Disneyland because it severely limits our hotel choices.

Well - aside from a little dirt behind the bathroom door this was one of the CLEANEST rooms he'd ever encountered. We've stayed at 5 star hotels and he always seems to find something. He was beyond impressed and after fighting with me about staying here he left them a 5 star review on Trip Advisor. If my picky hubby declared it clean you can take that to the bank!! ;)

I crossed Park Vue off my list long ago because of bad reports, but your experience is winning me over!

My mom has no issues there, she stays there every time she goes. I have stayed there a couple times and have no complaints
Are you referring to BWPPI or Ramada Maingate At the Park?

We stayed at the Ramada Maingate a couple of weeks ago. While the rooms are initially nice and clean, maid service is terrible. There are no maid signs at all, the only way to signal you're out of the room is to take the Do Not Disturb sign off. When my DH asked a maid for towels she flat out said no.:scared1: So I asked another one and she said ten minutes. Never showed so I called the front desk to ask for some. When we got back we had two bath towels and about ten hand towels for a family of five. In a four night stay they finally "cleaned" the room on day three and LEFT NO TOWELS! All they really did was make the beds and empty the trash. My kids had knocked the shower cap etc off the back of the toilet (it's curved so it kept happening every time someone used the restroom, I gave up picking them up) and the stuff was still there on the floor. So given your description of your experience I'd say you wouldn't be happy.

That said, I'm a former maid, worked in a major hotel here in Vegas for seven and a half years so I tend to give the maids a break. It's damn hard work cleaning up after other people. I go out of my way to prep the room, cleaning up, putting all personal stuff away and gathering things into neat little piles so all they have to do is sweep in and sweep out. We had to clean every room top to bottom, change sheets, scrub bathroom dust and vacuum everyday in every room. I do not expect that level of service but I do expect at least some service and TOWELS! I personally think I just got a lazy maid (have worked with more than a few in my day) and other than the actual service, I found the rooms very clean so I will most likely give them a second chance.

That sounds about the same as our recent visits to BWPPI. I'm surprised about the towel hoarding though! We go through towels and washcloths like crazy so I'm always asking for more - I am happy to report that at BWPPI they [housekeepers and office staff] always hand them over without a fight!

ETA: I will check out Desert Inn and Camelot prices. We do like HoJo and Castle Inn, but with the new pricing on both and no breakfast, the extra couple minutes' walk weighs heavily. Castle Inn is very clean now but we were much happier with it when we were paying $60/night last year. Same with HoJo - I don't think we've stayed there since they stopped the Entertainment Card rate because our dates haven't matched up with their promos.

We just came back from staying at Hojos and I was really impressed by housekeeping there. The kids and I went through a lot of towels, which were always replaced, and all of their stuffed animals, etc., were arranged in adorable ways on the beds. :-)

The room, including the floor, looked very clean when we walked in, and thereafter--the kind of clean where I didn't give a second thought to the kids walking barefoot everywhere or playing on the floor. It was our first time at Hojos, but it definitely won't be our last! :)

We must have been very unlucky because our room at PVI was a long way from clean. Including dark marks that looked like mould around the bath, rubbish from a previous guest left in the wardrobe and a squished spider on the wall near the air conditioner.
We also had trouble getting towels and were told a few times that we would have to wait for them to come out of the wash.

We found Hojos to be very clean.
The carpet at The Fairfield Inn was filthy.

We are trying Desert Inn next because I have heard good things about it and the big rooms give us space to spread out.

We are currently at the Candy Cane Inn and have been very happy. The rooms are bright, clean and the maid service was fine. We arrived very late out first night and they had a clean pack n play already set up in the room. I would definitely stay here again.

We've stayed at Park Vue Inn twice now, and Desert Inn and Suites once (second and third stays coming up soon).

PVI was seriously, impressively clean when we were there... Passed my "white sock test" without a problem! Rooms cleaned from top to bottom daily, fresh (BIG!) towels, beds made (often with cute things, like DD's doll snuggled up under the blanket, or reading a book), toothpaste cleaned from the sinks, etc. We check the rooms from top to bottom and have never seen any evidence of bed bugs, or others! In fact, the only time we've had an issue with PVI's cleanliness was our second trip, when we were in the Jacuzzi suite. The carpets needed to be shampooed. We figured they may only shampoo them after "y" number of uses, and we must have been use "x". The floors weren't "bad", but our socks were a little dingy according to DH. If money wasn't an object as much as it is, I would totally do Park Vue every stay!

DI&S is nice, but, after our one stay in a regular 2Q room, it felt like we had stayed at a Motel 6 or such. But at $70/night, I can deal with a Motel 6 feel across the street from the parks ;) The floors are clean enough, but the beds were hard, the pillows were hard, and the towels were not big enough to cover my size-18 body (and they were scratchy!). But, it's $70/night across the street from Disneyland, you get what you pay for, and all I wanted was a place to lay my head for a few hours :)

We are currently at the Candy Cane Inn and have been very happy. The rooms are bright, clean and the maid service was fine. We arrived very late out first night and they had a clean pack n play already set up in the room. I would definitely stay here again.
I would love to try out CCI but I can never find a price under $150, even with the big $10 discount they give to APs. That puts it pretty close to might-as-well-stay-onsite territory for us! We don't do in between - it's super cheap or super expensive! Is there any way to find CCI rooms at a discount? Do they not even offer AAA discount?

We've stayed at Park Vue Inn twice now, and Desert Inn and Suites once (second and third stays coming up soon).

PVI was seriously, impressively clean when we were there... Passed my "white sock test" without a problem! Rooms cleaned from top to bottom daily, fresh (BIG!) towels, beds made (often with cute things, like DD's doll snuggled up under the blanket, or reading a book), toothpaste cleaned from the sinks, etc. We check the rooms from top to bottom and have never seen any evidence of bed bugs, or others! In fact, the only time we've had an issue with PVI's cleanliness was our second trip, when we were in the Jacuzzi suite. The carpets needed to be shampooed. We figured they may only shampoo them after "y" number of uses, and we must have been use "x". The floors weren't "bad", but our socks were a little dingy according to DH. If money wasn't an object as much as it is, I would totally do Park Vue every stay!

DI&S is nice, but, after our one stay in a regular 2Q room, it felt like we had stayed at a Motel 6 or such. But at $70/night, I can deal with a Motel 6 feel across the street from the parks ;) The floors are clean enough, but the beds were hard, the pillows were hard, and the towels were not big enough to cover my size-18 body (and they were scratchy!). But, it's $70/night across the street from Disneyland, you get what you pay for, and all I wanted was a place to lay my head for a few hours :)
Thanks, great comparison! Where do you find the $70 prices for DI&S?

We must have been very unlucky because our room at PVI was a long way from clean. Including dark marks that looked like mould around the bath, rubbish from a previous guest left in the wardrobe and a squished spider on the wall near the air conditioner.
We also had trouble getting towels and were told a few times that we would have to wait for them to come out of the wash.

We found Hojos to be very clean.
The carpet at The Fairfield Inn was filthy.

We are trying Desert Inn next because I have heard good things about it and the big rooms give us space to spread out.

Thanks - when did you stay at PVI?

Yes, Candy Cane Inn does offer AAA discounts....and once you stay there they give a coupon for another discount if you stay again within one year. Have not found their prices even close to on-site prices.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter