Classic Philosophy Question

Because I have set up a camera focused on the table and the table doesn't turn blue when there is no consciousness involved.

OK, try this one: how do you know that things exist that are not being watched? Perhaps your video recordings are a manifestation of a faked unconsciousness?

The same way that we aren't sure whether or not our universe is simply a big computer simulation like in The Matrix or Free Guy.

That table in your living room... how do you know it doesn't turn blue when you turn your back on it?

I'm at the age where I really don't care what color it turns if it does. I took a class in Philosophy my Freshman year in college (early 70's); spent many late nights discussing things like that. It was a lot of fun but now........again, for me it doesn't matter. But discuss it if you will. :)

And when you're done with that question answer me this one.......when that tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is around; does it make a sound???

I'm at the age where I really don't care what color it turns if it does. I took a class in Philosophy my Freshman year in college (early 70's); spent many late nights discussing things like that. It was a lot of fun but now........again, for me it doesn't matter. But discuss it if you will. :)

And when you're done with that question answer me this one.......when that tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is around; does it make a sound???
Which leads on to:-

If a man says something and there isn't a woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

ford family

Which leads on to:-

If a man says something and there isn't a woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

ford family

Which leads to :

If a woman says something and there isn't a man there to hear her, is she still wrong?

Because the same light is refracting on it whether my mind is involved or not and it's refracting and absorbing light that determines what we see as color. For that matter another person or creature may not see the table as the same shade of color that I do. Color is an opinion more than a fact, individual to the rods and cones perceiving it... It's too early for this, I haven't had my coffee yet.

This is just reminding me that I wish to see as a mantis shrimp does...

This reminds me of the story about a Philosophy class. The professor handed out the test that contained one question - "Why?" After the question was answered, the students were then free to leave.

The students were slight taken aback but soon began writing their answers based upon what they'd been taught. One student, however, thought for a moment, wrote out his answer, and left. He was the only student to received an A. His answer? "Because."

This reminds me of the story about a Philosophy class. The professor handed out the test that contained one question - "Why?" After the question was answered, the students were then free to leave.

The students were slight taken aback but soon began writing their answers based upon what they'd been taught. One student, however, thought for a moment, wrote out his answer, and left. He was the only student to received an A. His answer? "Because."
That story has circulated for decades.

What difference does it make if it does? If my perception of it is always a brown leather ottoman when I'm actually perceiving it, what do I care what it is or isn't at any other time? :confused3

No, it doesn't. It makes sound waves but unless they are processed by ears there is no sound. Thank you Dr Takai who taught my philosophy class mumblemumble years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter