Class of 2022- High School Parents

I have a question, and I mean this in the most non snarky, friendly way. Why don't people mention the schools their kids have applied to? I would be very interested in knowing where your kids have gotten accepted, what their first choices are, etc. I notice about half or more people itt, and some on other websites, don't state the school names. There must be a good reason for this.

Another reply saying privacy reasons.
I’m sure this is a very nice group of people, but who knows who could be lurking in the shadows.
Also, my DD18 is very private - she has social media accounts, but barely uses them. So, if she doesn’t want to put private details about herself online, then I will respect that and also not put details about her online.

I think I mentioned a few of my daughter’s choices a few posts back. She has applied to direct entry PA programs and some of these schools are smaller private colleges that I wasn’t sure if anyone knew.

She also applied to a few schools that I wasn’t aware of until I got the acceptance email lol (University of Vermont).

Valparaiso was her top choice and she was accepted to the direct entry PA program with the most merit money. We are almost 100% sure we will commit.

accepted=
UPitt
Marywood College
Appalachian State
Rutgers in state
Montclair State
DeSales
U of NH
King’s College
She applied to all these schools which academically, she felt comfortable with. The direct entry programs were her “Ivy Leagues” lol. She is a good student, very involved in her community , and was pretty set on what she wanted.
No full rides here. Just a decent amount of merit money to bring Valpo down to the equivalent of In state Tuition.
She loves nature, hiking, riding bikes, scenic views: Hello Vermont and App State! But they didn’t have her program of choice and didn’t really offer a lot of merit scholarships.

Valparaiso is great! I have a co worker who went there and loved it. She has a lot to be proud of as she was accepted into some very good schools.

Valparaiso is great! I have a co worker who went there and loved it. She has a lot to be proud of as she was accepted into some very good schools.
Thank you!!
Everyday we learn of more and more Valpo Alumni that absolutely loved going there. She is super excited!

Happy New Year!
Today marks the first day of what will be a VERY big year for most of us. Cheers!

I told DD at midnight that I guess I finally had to accept it is the year she graduates. Even though logically I’ve known it, it still comes as gut punch sometimes. A lot of these “lasts” with all 4 kids living at home. Sigh

———-

on a more practical note, everybody should look at party stores/dollar tree for clearance dated New Years decorations that could work for graduation ones.

I told DD at midnight that I guess I finally had to accept it is the year she graduates. Even though logically I’ve known it, it still comes as gut punch sometimes. A lot of these “lasts” with all 4 kids living at home. Sigh

———-

on a more practical note, everybody should look at party stores/dollar tree for clearance dated New Years decorations that could work for graduation ones.

I completely understand how you feel.
Ringing in 2022 was the realization that my best friend will be leaving for college in 8 months. Instead of happiness, I felt sadness, and it was challenging to not cry. There are great things on the horizon for her, and as sad as I am to see her go, I can hardly wait to see what the future brings her ❤️

Happy New Year Everyone, and I wish your kids nothing but greatness this last semester of their senior year.

In terms of not listing actual school names I think for me in part it is privacy reasons and in part due to small local schools that many people who don't live close enough probably haven't heard of. There is also a bit of say if you write UNH I have to guess U. of New Haven, U. of New Hampshire etc. Then there are people who think if you don't apply to top tier well known schools your student isn't bright etc (not saying in this group).

What a bunch of awesome kids (and parents) for the class of 2022. Congratulations to all of the kids and their acceptances into colleges! Does anyone have a senior that just isn't sure of what they want to do yet? Mine is a 3.97 student who was majorly involved with school and a competitive dancer for 13 years. She applied to 4 colleges and was accepted at all 4 schools with some pretty decent scholarships, but she just isn't sure school is for her (what, seriously). Any other seniors not taking the traditional route of college? Mine is looking at an alternative school (like TAPS in Las Vegas) or trying out for an NFL dance team. If she doesn't get accepted at something like that she wants to look into something where she can travel. I'm not sure how I'm feeling about all of this, especially for most of the last few years all she talked about was doing track at college and majoring in political science. It's such a change. She is an outstanding kid though so I will continue to support her 100%.

What a bunch of awesome kids (and parents) for the class of 2022. Congratulations to all of the kids and their acceptances into colleges! Does anyone have a senior that just isn't sure of what they want to do yet? Mine is a 3.97 student who was majorly involved with school and a competitive dancer for 13 years. She applied to 4 colleges and was accepted at all 4 schools with some pretty decent scholarships, but she just isn't sure school is for her (what, seriously). Any other seniors not taking the traditional route of college? Mine is looking at an alternative school (like TAPS in Las Vegas) or trying out for an NFL dance team. If she doesn't get accepted at something like that she wants to look into something where she can travel. I'm not sure how I'm feeling about all of this, especially for most of the last few years all she talked about was doing track at college and majoring in political science. It's such a change. She is an outstanding kid though so I will continue to support her 100%.

Your daughter sounds a lot like mine. She has great grades and got a really good ACT score, but she just isn't 100% sure of what she wants to do. I think her problem is that no majors are really speaking to her and it seems like more schooling isn't worth it if she doesn't have a major in mind. I have a son who is finishing up his sophomore year in college and he has always known what he wanted to major in (computer science) and is very focused on his schooling and subsequent career. Not only is he focused, he actually has a serious passion for programming and I think that's what she wants too-something she can be passionate about.

We have talked about it and what she decided is that she would go for at least a year and then reevaluate. In my opinion, moving away and attending college is about more than just schooling. It gives kids a chance to start being independent and taking steps toward adulthood. She IS very excited about living on campus and meeting new people and the social aspect of it. So she will spend the first year seeing if anything sticks as far as majors are concerned.

If she decides after a year that college isn't for her, I'm fine with it. Some other options we have discussed are the Disney College Program and studying and/or living abroad.

I wonder if that is something that would work for your daughter? Just say try it for a year and see how it goes and then if she doesn't like it she can try some of the other options you mentioned?

Now is the time, while she is young, to pursue her goals. College will always be there. She should definitely go for an NFL or NBA dance team. That would be great for her. College will always be there! She could also go part time, take some classes while she is dancing. So many possibilities.

I didn't go the traditional route, took my time in graduating, traveled a lot, and ended up working in an IT / digital design start up who went public. It was such a great experience. One experience leads us to the next one. My thoughts are just do something. If you don't like it you can always try something else.

Very anecdotal, but a girl who graduated HS with my oldest in 2016 is now a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. I know she was on the dance team in college also (at U Kentucky). I don't know if it means anything and while I know the parents to talk to them, I'm not sure of any other details. I bring this up just say that going to college doesn't mean giving up a dream of being on an NFL dance team.

I say let her try. College will always be there. My daughter was actually going to audition for professional ballet companies post high school until she changed her mind this year. We would have fully supported (still would) her exploring that option.

Does everyone else get a bunch of unsolicited brochures/post cards/flyers from colleges? I mean, I could understand in state or region schools, but we're getting things from five+ hours away.

Does everyone else get a bunch of unsolicited brochures/post cards/flyers from colleges? I mean, I could understand in state or region schools, but we're getting things from five+ hours away.
Yes! And we’ve been getting mail 2x a week from the same college for weeks!

When I was a high school senior many, many, …, many years ago, I received LOTS of different brochures and other marketing materials from Kalamazoo College. I lived in Georgia, and I had never even heard of it, but the stuff they sent was very well done. I remember researching them and thinking it would be a cool place to go. I was accepted early decision by my first choice, otherwise I probably would have applied to to Kalamazoo among others. It was effective marketing.

Also beware of sneaky emails from schools claiming your student has applied and you need to click the link to finish the application. This fall, I had at least 3 different schools send this type of email — two that I recall the names for were Merrimack College and George Mason. My daughter never applied to any of them, nor did she express any interest in these schools. The first time I received the email, I was shocked because my reaction was “why would she apply somewhere without even telling us?” And why would a school resort to underhanded tactics to boost their application numbers? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Also beware of sneaky emails from schools claiming your student has applied and you need to click the link to finish the application. This fall, I had at least 3 different schools send this type of email — two that I recall the names for were Merrimack College and George Mason. My daughter never applied to any of them, nor did she express any interest in these schools. The first time I received the email, I was shocked because my reaction was “why would she apply somewhere without even telling us?” And why would a school resort to underhanded tactics to boost their application numbers? 🤷🏻‍♀️
They can also see what you click on when looking around their website.

Did the links actually go back to the school or to a phishing site? You'd need to hover over the link and read the target in the bottom of the screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter