Class of 2022- High School Parents

Finishing our college tour. It has been a lot of fun! Five nights left. So far we have visited:

UCF (no, too small)
U of Florida (wasn't feeling it)
Florida State (yes, will apply)
Tulane (yes, will apply)
University of Louisiana (not for her)

Next up:
University of Texas, Dallas
I haven’t been to UCF, so I assume the campus itself is too small, certainly not the student body at 72,000!

My son loves Florida and just likes Florida State. We did the official UF tour last week, but I went to grad school there, so we’ve done several unofficial campus visits. He got a tour of FSU when he was in Tallahassee for Boys State. He’s going to do a tour of USF also. Several family members went there.

We’re going to NY next week on vacation and will do campus visits of NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. I think Cornell is his first choice, but he knows he’ll need a serious scholarship to go there, like a ROTC full ride. I went to Cornell, and ROTC was the only way my family could afford it. His SAT and GPA are both outstanding, so we’ll see. I’m not sure he’s sold on the military lifestyle, so UF may end up being the way he goes. It would essentially be free with Bright Futures and Florida Pre-Pay.

I haven’t been to UCF, so I assume the campus itself is too small, certainly not the student body at 72,000!

My son loves Florida and just likes Florida State. We did the official UF tour last week, but I went to grad school there, so we’ve done several unofficial campus visits. He got a tour of FSU when he was in Tallahassee for Boys State. He’s going to do a tour of USF also. Several family members went there.

We’re going to NY next week on vacation and will do campus visits of NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. I think Cornell is his first choice, but he knows he’ll need a serious scholarship to go there, like a ROTC full ride. I went to Cornell, and ROTC was the only way my family could afford it. His SAT and GPA are both outstanding, so we’ll see. I’m not sure he’s sold on the military lifestyle, so UF may end up being the way he goes. It would essentially be free with Bright Futures and Florida Pre-Pay.

Yes, she found the UCF campus a little insular, and wants something a bit integrated into a city. We are in Plano, TX now and I think UT Dallas will be her #1 choice. LOVE Texas already. Our first visit to the state. Tulane is #2 but the cost is frightening at 75k a year.

We still want to see University of Georgia and College of Charleston in SC.

Son #3 graduates this next year.
He wants to go to App State in Boone, NC. He is going to apply for early admission in November, he is so set on App that he says if he doesn't get in, he will go to CC first and transfer.
But I don't foresee him having an issue getting in.
I will keep you posted.

Son #3 graduates this next year.
He wants to go to App State in Boone, NC. He is going to apply for early admission in November, he is so set on App that he says if he doesn't get in, he will go to CC first and transfer.
But I don't foresee him having an issue getting in.
I will keep you posted.
Omg we just toured App State three weeks ago. My daughter is absolutely in love. It is her top
Choice right now. She even bought us App mom and App dad gear😳. The campus is beautiful!
I thought they used common app and that opens this Sunday. Doesn’t it include early admission? I thought November was just the deadline. Correct me if I am wrong because she is also planning on applying for early admission.
Good luck to your son! Go Neers! 🤩

Pro tip: TOUR UCF!

The campus is not small, and is surrounded by an incredible research complex (Siemens, Northrop Grumman, and many others). UCF was founded in partnership with NASA. We have a huge student body, but the campus does not feel overcrowded at all -- it's just purpose-designed and well-planned. It is well NE of Orlando, but both Tallahassee and Gainesville are in the middle of nowhere (and this from a Gator with a 'Nole DD and 2 'Nole DGD's).

Any of the Florida schools will be a "full ride" with prepaid and Bright Futures. Your son may well graduate with money in the bank.

DD's BFF is at USF and I did some grad work there. USF is meh as a campus, but has some good schools. With what he has going for him, I would NOT look below the USF/FIU level -- no FAU, FGCU, etc.

A LOT depends on what your DS wants to do in life.
  • If he's into hospitality, Cornell is probably the best with FIU and UCF close behind.
  • UF has always been outstanding for Engineering, although UCF and FIU are also good.
  • Medical/pre-med -- any of the above. USF has a guaranteed pre-med/Med school opportunity. UF is probably the best, but all of the better Florida schools are excellent for medicine.
  • For other disciplines, you really have to look at the specific programs.

Omg we just toured App State three weeks ago. My daughter is absolutely in love. It is her top
Choice right now. She even bought us App mom and App dad gear😳. The campus is beautiful!
I thought they used common app and that opens this Sunday. Doesn’t it include early admission? I thought November was just the deadline. Correct me if I am wrong because she is also planning on applying for early admission.
Good luck to your son! Go Neers! 🤩

Oh, I have no idea. I haven't looked. Thanks. I will see if I can get him to apply even earlier. Is it rolling admission or will they just hold the admissions until after the nov. deadline?

My son has several App items as well.....he has a sweatshirt, T-shirt, and a lanyard.

Appalachian State used to be nicknamed "The Harvard of the South."
I thought they used common app and that opens this Sunday. ... I thought November was just the deadline.
Most experts advise applying WAY before any deadlines. Some schools wait until after the deadline to make decisions, but others will send acceptances to applicants who obviously meet their criteria. The earlier you know, the earlier you can apply for scholarships, dorms, and all sorts of other stuff. I would certainly NOT wait until October to apply; I'd do it ASAP.

Hello! Another parent with a 2022 graduate here! I can't believe we are at this point already...wasn't she just 3 last yearprincess:?! Anyways, she is struggling with deciding on where she wants to go and what she wants to study. We know she wants to stay within our little state, but just not sure which one. She joined track last year and did awesome as a Junior competing for the first time and while doubling up on two sports at the same time. So she is trying to keep her options open on being able to "walk-on" to a track team. As someone who knew what they wanted to do when they were in like 8th grade, it sometimes frustrates me, but I need to remember that it isn't the same for everyone. She knows what she doesn't want to do (medical or teaching), but needs to figure out what she does want to do. She is a 4.0 student so she has that on her side. There is still time, too. Good luck to all the students going into their senior year in the next few weeks👩‍🎓!

Oh, I have no idea. I haven't looked. Thanks. I will see if I can get him to apply even earlier. Is it rolling admission or will they just hold the admissions until after the nov. deadline?

My son has several App items as well.....he has a sweatshirt, T-shirt, and a lanyard.

I believe they do rolling admissions. I will ask her to email the school Counselor she has been in contact with and make sure.

Appalachian State used to be nicknamed "The Harvard of the South." Most experts advise applying WAY before any deadlines. Some schools wait until after the deadline to make decisions, but others will send acceptances to applicants who obviously meet their criteria. The earlier you know, the earlier you can apply for scholarships, dorms, and all sorts of other stuff. I would certainly NOT wait until October to apply; I'd do it ASAP.
Oh my! I just showed her this post regarding “Harvard of the South” and she got even more excited! 😁
Thank you for the advice! It makes a lot of sense to get all of the other stuff rolling as soon as possible.

I believe they do rolling admissions. I will ask her to email the school Counselor she has been in contact with and make sure.

Oh my! I just showed her this post regarding “Harvard of the South” and she got even more excited! 😁
Thank you for the advice! It makes a lot of sense to get all of the other stuff rolling as soon as possible.

Thank you for telling me about the common app. He will be getting an account today and starting to see what is needed.

Appalachian State used to be nicknamed "The Harvard of the South." Most experts advise applying WAY before any deadlines. Some schools wait until after the deadline to make decisions, but others will send acceptances to applicants who obviously meet their criteria. The earlier you know, the earlier you can apply for scholarships, dorms, and all sorts of other stuff. I would certainly NOT wait until October to apply; I'd do it ASAP.

App state was the Harvard of the South? I thought it was Vanderbilt. There are far more elite/selective colleges down here than App.

App State says they admit 78% of applicants. Vanderbilt accepts 9.1%.

App state was the Harvard of the South? I thought it was Vanderbilt. There are far more elite/selective colleges down here than App.

App State says they admit 78% of applicants. Vanderbilt accepts 9.1%.
I'd always heard App State, but in researching it there have apparently been numerous schools described that way, including Vandy, SMU, Duke, Rice, etc, etc.

I'd always heard App State, but in researching it there have apparently been numerous schools described that way, including Vandy, SMU, Duke, Rice, etc, etc.

I wish he would apply for a few schools, including some reach schools. I think he could get in to NC State, not sure about Chapel Hill. He could probably get in to most of the other NC State schools.

I wish he would apply for a few schools, including some reach schools. I think he could get in to NC State, not sure about Chapel Hill. He could probably get in to most of the other NC State schools.
Our DD's counselor in high school was excellent and she advised the following:
  • Apply for 1-2 safe schools, where you are confident of admission.
  • Apply to schools where you think you have a chance to get in.
  • Apply for at least 1-2 reach schools -- because you just never know!
  • Do NOT waste time, effort, and money applying to schools you would not want to attend.
Another thing that is important is to consider whether the school is a good match. Is it the size college you want? Are sports important to you? What about fraternities and sororities? What about extracurriculars, part-time employment, or internships? How is the college regarded in the fields you might want for a career? Most kids can adapt to any type of environment, but some might be better than others.

Our DD's counselor in high school was excellent and she advised the following:
  • Apply for 1-2 safe schools, where you are confident of admission.
  • Apply to schools where you think you have a chance to get in.
  • Apply for at least 1-2 reach schools -- because you just never know!
  • Do NOT waste time, effort, and money applying to schools you would not want to attend.
Another thing that is important is to consider whether the school is a good match. Is it the size college you want? Are sports important to you? What about fraternities and sororities? What about extracurriculars, part-time employment, or internships? How is the college regarded in the fields you might want for a career? Most kids can adapt to any type of environment, but some might be better than others.

Yes, yes, we are aware of all of that.....I am a school counselor! Sigh.

However, he has no idea what he wants to do, knows he wants a large school, doesn't care about fraternities, doesn't care about sports, so it is really wide open. But he loves snow, and App is about the only school is our state that gets a decent amount of snow and cooler weather.

I did discuss a little more with him last night and he said he would apply to a couple more "just because" so at least I got him to agree to that.

Pro tip: TOUR UCF!

The campus is not small, and is surrounded by an incredible research complex (Siemens, Northrop Grumman, and many others). UCF was founded in partnership with NASA. We have a huge student body, but the campus does not feel overcrowded at all -- it's just purpose-designed and well-planned. It is well NE of Orlando, but both Tallahassee and Gainesville are in the middle of nowhere (and this from a Gator with a 'Nole DD and 2 'Nole DGD's).

Any of the Florida schools will be a "full ride" with prepaid and Bright Futures. Your son may well graduate with money in the bank.

DD's BFF is at USF and I did some grad work there. USF is meh as a campus, but has some good schools. With what he has going for him, I would NOT look below the USF/FIU level -- no FAU, FGCU, etc.

A LOT depends on what your DS wants to do in life.
  • If he's into hospitality, Cornell is probably the best with FIU and UCF close behind.
  • UF has always been outstanding for Engineering, although UCF and FIU are also good.
  • Medical/pre-med -- any of the above. USF has a guaranteed pre-med/Med school opportunity. UF is probably the best, but all of the better Florida schools are excellent for medicine.
  • For other disciplines, you really have to look at the specific programs.
Thanks. We have a large extended family with members who have attended pretty much every Florida university, plus we’ve done a LOT of research, so we understand the various strengths and weaknesses. We know UCF is a good school, but it’s just not on my son’s radar. I could definitely see my daughter being interested in UCF, but fortunately I still have a couple years before we have to figure that out!

We have now toured 2 schools in person and have one more scheduled for this week (in person guided tours have been hard to come by here). Have also done a few virtual tours.

Applications for the CSU & UC systems opened August 1st, so starting that process soon. She’s working on narrowing her list down right now.

Good luck to all in the next few months ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter