Class of 2021 Parents

I’m very worried about how the class of 2021 will be competing against the class of 2020 for college acceptances. I’m also worried about colleges being test optional. Dd had to drop chamber singers because it is at the same time as AP macroeconomics (she might end up majoring in economics). Chambers is weighted and an easy A (all 5 of my kids were in it). She is taking 4 AP classes and 3 other academic classes. This should be a disaster if it’s online. Ds actually got his GPA up above a 3.8 (With some screaming on my end about missing assignments).

Club soccer is supposed to start next week with skills and drills. Ds has really slacked off and will be dying, dd is in great shape. I hope they get their last season of varsity soccer, because it’s my last season. I’ve been watching kids play soccer for almost 20 years.

Last week we got instructions on how to order a senior ad for the 2021 yearbook. And then today got notice that 2020 yearbooks are ready for pick up next week!

So, by now we should've had two additional campus tours under our belts, but nothing but virtual tours (which we've also done) are available right now *sigh*. I hate that my DS hasn't been able to visit campuses, and who knows if/when he will.

What a sucky, sucky time for '20 and '21 grads.
It really is and it doesn't look like this year will be any better for either class. I don't know how my daughter can choose a school if she hasn't seen it. Virtually doesn't really show you how large a school is or get a feel for the area. There is so much uncertainty for the upcoming year. We received an email from the school asking the kids to email teachers for recommendations since they won't be able to ask in person. Normally yearbook photos are in July but it doesn't look like that is happening either. My DD has yet to take the SAT's, they have been cancelled each time. Hoping for September! Does anyone belong to Grown and Flown parents on Facebook? It's a great supportive group! They also created a new group for the class of 2021 because of all the changes that are coming their way

I’m very worried about how the class of 2021 will be competing against the class of 2020 for college acceptances. I’m also worried about colleges being test optional. Dd had to drop chamber singers because it is at the same time as AP macroeconomics (she might end up majoring in economics). Chambers is weighted and an easy A (all 5 of my kids were in it). She is taking 4 AP classes and 3 other academic classes. This should be a disaster if it’s online. Ds actually got his GPA up above a 3.8 (With some screaming on my end about missing assignments).

Club soccer is supposed to start next week with skills and drills. Ds has really slacked off and will be dying, dd is in great shape. I hope they get their last season of varsity soccer, because it’s my last season. I’ve been watching kids play soccer for almost 20 years.

I hadn't even thought about the '20/'21 classes competing for college acceptance (great, something else to worry about, lol), but I'm pretty sure my DS will be applying to a good/reputable "safe" school for the automatic merit money, so he should be okay. I would imagine even if some schools are test optional as far as admittance, that those who have taken the tests, especially with decent scores, might have some sort of edge. And while they may get in even without test scores, they probably won't have the same scholarship opportunities available to them, I wouldn't think.

We also had a schedule conflict -- it was between AP Music Theory and French III Honors. He ultimately decided to go with French III which saves me money on an AP exam at least (especially since he's taking dual enrollment Calc II in the fall and Calc III in the spring -- a state grant covers most of it, but not all of it).

DS is also considering majoring in economics and will be taking AP Econ as well.

I hear ya on the last season of soccer being your last season... That's what it's like for band (concert and marching) for me. It makes me pretty sad that it won't be a normal year.

Last week we got instructions on how to order a senior ad for the 2021 yearbook. And then today got notice that 2020 yearbooks are ready for pick up next week!

We had pick up for HS yearbooks last week and MS this week and the school year ended a month ago for us. The printing companies were evidently shut down during the quarantine.

It really is and it doesn't look like this year will be any better for either class. I don't know how my daughter can choose a school if she hasn't seen it. Virtually doesn't really show you how large a school is or get a feel for the area. There is so much uncertainty for the upcoming year. We received an email from the school asking the kids to email teachers for recommendations since they won't be able to ask in person. Normally yearbook photos are in July but it doesn't look like that is happening either. My DD has yet to take the SAT's, they have been cancelled each time. Hoping for September! Does anyone belong to Grown and Flown parents on Facebook? It's a great supportive group! They also created a new group for the class of 2021 because of all the changes that are coming their way

I agree. We've been on 3 college tours (2 last summer just because we were FL with some time to kill) and 1 here locally last fall. The one I think he'll wind up at, though, he's yet to see in person. We were supposed to tour it in April, and of course that was canceled.

I wonder when the senior yearbook photos are here... I really don't know and haven't heard anything, but I'm pretty sure it's in the summer like yours.

I cannot tell you how glad I am that DS already has the ACT behind him. The uncertainty and cancellations of the SAT and ACT would be pretty stressful.

DD just graduated class of 20. DS was a sophomore this past year but decided at Christmas time to take 2 classes this summer so he can graduate early. So he is now class of 21. We are now kind of in rush mode with him. With DD we spent her junior year taking the ACT a few times, visiting colleges and by senior year she was pretty much done with all that and settled. With DS we have completely skipped his junior year and are trying to figure out how to get college visits and ACT done with everything shut down. Luckily he did take the ACT once this year in Feb before everything closed. He got a decent score as DD did her first time. But she improved to a great score. I’m hoping he’ll have the opportunity to take it a couple of times, to improve his score. I feel bad for both of them, what crappy years for both of them to graduate.

DD just graduated class of 20. DS was a sophomore this past year but decided at Christmas time to take 2 classes this summer so he can graduate early. So he is now class of 21. We are now kind of in rush mode with him. With DD we spent her junior year taking the ACT a few times, visiting colleges and by senior year she was pretty much done with all that and settled. With DS we have completely skipped his junior year and are trying to figure out how to get college visits and ACT done with everything shut down. Luckily he did take the ACT once this year in Feb before everything closed. He got a decent score as DD did her first time. But she improved to a great score. I’m hoping he’ll have the opportunity to take it a couple of times, to improve his score. I feel bad for both of them, what crappy years for both of them to graduate.
Their SAT/ACT scores are solid, they’ll get in to the schools they are applying to, but we were counting on automatic merit for OOS schools (1500/34). They’re signed up for October, but who knows. Ds will probably just stay in state, but Dd really doesn’t have any interest in any in state college. She’s been researching colleges and majors, and eliminating those who don’t give great scholarships. A lot of d3 track coaches have been contacting her, before this asking her to visit overnight over the summer with the teams.

Daughter completed her first college application for Missouri State. KU application opens up on July 1 and Mizzou on August 1 so those will be the next ones on our list. She is applying to SIUC as well, but I haven't looked to see when the application opens. We still had three schools to visit before Covid put a huge stop sign in front of us. Murray State, Indiana State and Truman University are the ones we didn't get to yet. We have done the virtual tours, but you don't get the same feel for the school as actually stepping on the campus. At this point, we are just gonna apply to the schools and cross our fingers that we can visit before we have to make a final decision.

Band camp is supposed to start on July 1. Normally she would have already been doing camp, but they pushed it back some. We haven't heard what the school district plans are for fall classes yet. They sent out a survey to parents and supposedly have a task force put together to make decisions. DD was signed up for June ACT, but her location decided not to hold it so she pushed the test off to July. Now we don't know if the location she picked for July is going to stay open. We have our fingers crossed that they do. She would really like to get two more tries in on the test before deciding on a final score to send for merit aid. We have just been sending her highest at his point in the process.

Well, I guess most of our kids are "done" with junior year- it was officially over Friday- we're on Maryland- so later than a lot of other districts. We did a bunch of college tours last summer and fall- so DD knows mostly what she likes/dislikes. However a few weeks ago- we drove to George Mason just to look around. I'm so glad we did, she decided it's way too big and she doesn't like the big schools. That just tells me how important college visits are- it was in her top 5 too. We do have a small college visit(not virtual) to another school in Maryland this week- we have to wear masks and only 1 person besides student allowed. We'll see what she thinks.
At this point, she will be getting ready to apply to her choice schools, and is starting to apply for scholarships this summer.
Can't believe they are SENIORS!!!!

I really don’t do any Pinterest-y things, but I love the idea of the last first day of school photo. So just a reminder to jump online and find that photo of their first day of school to get it printed and framed so they can hold it on their last first day of school for the photo!

I really don’t do any Pinterest-y things, but I love the idea of the last first day of school photo. So just a reminder to jump online and find that photo of their first day of school to get it printed and framed so they can hold it on their last first day of school for the photo!
I did that a couple years ago when my daughter started her senior year!

The Last First Day by mom2rtk, on Flickr

@mom2rtk Thank you for providing a visual! Love it!

ETA: My rising senior started school in Hawaii, so in his first day of school photo he’s wearing a kukui nut lei. It’s just the cheap kind from an ABC store, so we still have it. He will definitely be wearing it for his last first day photo too!

Last edited:
@mom2rtk Thank you for providing a visual! Love it!

ETA: My rising senior started school in Hawaii, so in his first day of school photo he’s wearing a kukui nut lei. It’s just the cheap kind from an ABC store, so we still have it. He will definitely be wearing it for his last first day photo too!
That's awesome! I hope you'll share when you get the new photo!

Well, I guess most of our kids are "done" with junior year- it was officially over Friday- we're on Maryland- so later than a lot of other districts. We did a bunch of college tours last summer and fall- so DD knows mostly what she likes/dislikes. However a few weeks ago- we drove to George Mason just to look around. I'm so glad we did, she decided it's way too big and she doesn't like the big schools. That just tells me how important college visits are- it was in her top 5 too. We do have a small college visit(not virtual) to another school in Maryland this week- we have to wear masks and only 1 person besides student allowed. We'll see what she thinks.
At this point, she will be getting ready to apply to her choice schools, and is starting to apply for scholarships this summer.
Can't believe they are SENIORS!!!!
Yeah, that's definitely a shock. I would give anything for them to have a normal Senior year at this point. After all, the grades don't really count at this point and it's all about the experience - but that is SOO important! My son is settling on a major right now and that's great, but I really wish he could tour the AZ schools. UA is his backup plan and I think it's a great one - but he hasn't seen it. We had a trip planned to see UA, ASU and NAU in March but COVID killed that plan. Could he end up at a school he's never stepped foot on? That seems like a really bad idea.

Yeah, that's definitely a shock. I would give anything for them to have a normal Senior year at this point. After all, the grades don't really count at this point and it's all about the experience - but that is SOO important! My son is settling on a major right now and that's great, but I really wish he could tour the AZ schools. UA is his backup plan and I think it's a great one - but he hasn't seen it. We had a trip planned to see UA, ASU and NAU in March but COVID killed that plan. Could he end up at a school he's never stepped foot on? That seems like a really bad idea.
The worst part is not knowing how ANYTHING will go. I hate being unprepared. DD is definitely going to a Maryland school, so at least we're not dealing with out of state visits and all. She knows her major, and her top school, and really the top 5, she will just see what they offer.

How did your kids do on their AP exams?

DS did good on 3 out of the 4 that he took, but had one pretty big disappointment -- AP Lang -- he hated the prompt and didn't feel he did well -- he was right. It's disheartening since he did so well in the class.

How are your seniors coping with the unknowns if this upcoming school year?

How did your kids do on their AP exams?

DS did good on 3 out of the 4 that he took, but had one pretty big disappointment -- AP Lang -- he hated the prompt and didn't feel he did well -- he was right. It's disheartening since he did so well in the class.

How are your seniors coping with the unknowns if this upcoming school year?
They did as I predicted, dd 5 on calc, 4 on Spanish, ds 3 UPUSH, 2 on calc. He’s a smart kid, but pretty lazy, likes to phone it in. He managed to only get 2 B+’s on his report cards (89’s, one class he tanked an exam early on that an A mi us was out of the equation). We haven’t talked about the upcoming year. Soccer practices have started up, I’m guessing they will shut down sports when kids test positive.

I think ds might’ve scored a life guarding job at a country club for August. Like reffing, perfect for him, he gets to sit instead of standing. Hopefully he can get some games in before everything shuts down.

So my DD's school district just posted that they will be fully virtual learning the full 1st semester. I feel so upset, I mean I understand, just upsetting.

Last edited:
AP scores were 3, 4, and 5. He was pretty happy with it.

Soccer practice has begun one day a week but he doesn’t hold out much hope that they’ll actually have a season. We’re all pretty realistic about stuff around here, so though they are starting classes in person, my kids know not to plan on finishing in person. We set the tone in our household that though things have been cancelled and there are disappointments, there are still things to look forward to! My kids have been hanging out with their friends and having an almost normal summer. My senior got a job last month at an axe throwing facility. I was not hip enough to know that axe throwing is now a thing, but it is. We’re heading over there tonight to try it out!

AP scores were 3, 4, and 5. He was pretty happy with it.

Soccer practice has begun one day a week but he doesn’t hold out much hope that they’ll actually have a season. We’re all pretty realistic about stuff around here, so though they are starting classes in person, my kids know not to plan on finishing in person. We set the tone in our household that though things have been cancelled and there are disappointments, there are still things to look forward to! My kids have been hanging out with their friends and having an almost normal summer. My senior got a job last month at an axe throwing facility. I was not hip enough to know that axe throwing is now a thing, but it is. We’re heading over there tonight to try it out!
Had a great night out axe throwing last year with my girlfriends! We have a few of them local.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter