• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cinderella Castle Makeover (March through Summer 2020)

We're heading out there in early Sept for the Halloween parties. They should have the majority of the scolding down by then, you think?

It really is disappointing - going this July with 4 little ones (two of which will be their first time) but we knew when we planned our trip for this year we were taking a chance on major rehabs etc in prep for the 50th. Epcot was announced and we'll see what that ends up looking like, but this was unexpected.

Obviously there will be scaffolding etc that unfortunately will mean the iconic picture in front of the castle will be out of the question. Maybe the imagineers will have some type of automatic photoshop adjustment to it? (Kidding - sort of. It certainly would be possible)

We managed to get a reservation for the dinner in the Castle - now I'm very happy we did that since if the castle outside looks less than magical, we'll at least be seeing the inside for the first time.

It really is disappointing - going this July with 4 little ones (two of which will be their first time) but we knew when we planned our trip for this year we were taking a chance on major rehabs etc in prep for the 50th. Epcot was announced and we'll see what that ends up looking like, but this was unexpected.

Obviously there will be scaffolding etc that unfortunately will mean the iconic picture in front of the castle will be out of the question. Maybe the imagineers will have some type of automatic photoshop adjustment to it? (Kidding - sort of. It certainly would be possible)

We managed to get a reservation for the dinner in the Castle - now I'm very happy we did that since if the castle outside looks less than magical, we'll at least be seeing the inside for the first time.
You can get a picture of an empty main street with the castle at the Disney photopass location at Disney Springs

I imagine a lot of work will be done overnight and they will work in sections so we may not see the whole castle covered at once. That said if we do they likely will have a photo scrim. They have been good about that as of late.

I’m not familiar with DL’s evening show - is there a material castle projection part of it? They had scaffolding/scrims up for their recent castle painting. Obviously a much smaller castle over there. (Sorry DL peeps!)

HEA has such an integral projection component on the castle (not to mention lasers and fireworks shot from/all around it) - it seems like major scaffolding/scrims would require some modification of the show. That alone probably suggests more overnight work than anything. TBD, of course.

This is SUPER disappointing. It will spoil the magic for sure - ruin, no, spoil yes. Some only going to Disney once in a lifetime, or this may be their first trip, and I feel so bad for those people because the castle is THAT iconic. I get that it probably needs refurbishment from time to time, but they will put scrims up like they did in Disneyland. They should work on it after hours and take down the scaffolding during the day. Will it take longer, yes, but that would preserve the magic. We have been going as a family since 2013 and there always is some eyesore - I am just done after our June trip. I worked there in the 90's and things like this were done after park hours, not sure why they changed that? We are going with my daughter's dance team and a lot of 1st timers, and it's awful that this will be their first memory of the castle. Most won't be going again next year during the 50th, so who cares.

EDIT: and my heart just sank when I realized my daughter's excitement of dancing down Main Street in front for the castle might be a little diminished now with scrims in the background. :(

Last edited:

Some only going to Disney once in a lifetime, or this may be their first trip, and I feel so bad for those people because the castle is THAT iconic.

I have to agree. When you factor in what a huge expense the trip is - for many people it requires years of saving and anticipation - I'd say it's not an exaggeration to say this COULD ruin that aspect of it.

But maybe we're all overreacting. Perhaps they will manage it hide it well.

The strange thing to me - the more I think about it - is they say it's to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the movie. Well, that's March 4. So to celebrate that anniversary they are going to have scaffolding up over the castle in March through the summer? Maybe they should have started sooner to get it DONE in time for the anniversary?

Sorry - just venting a bit. We were at Disney back when they started the birthday cake renovation but we had been there a couple times before then anyway. I remember being disappointed then though - and then we were back for the 25th and we among those who thought it ruined the look. At least this change will be an improvement rather than a major reimagining of it

The new design doesn’t look different enough from the old one for me to care, but I am pretty annoyed at their timing. Normally, one of the upsides of going in the summer and paying peak prices is that they have already done the refurbishment work in the cheaper-ticket season. Now not just this but Spaceship earth is closing this summer?

I'm still far from convinced that the whole castle will be covered up. There has been no reason to believe that. DLand's was covered because they had to replace the entire roof and there were moat issues. They had redo brick work and sidewalks... this is just paint and some touret accents. Not the same thing

Before getting all upset I think it would be best to just wait and see what happens. They may cover the whole thing, they may cover half of the castle at a time or they may just not cover anything at all.
Unfortunately thousands of people are always affected when Disney does any type of refurb, it's just a fact

Disney Photopass just posted this on their Facebook page, now this could be the right hand not telling the left what it's doing OR it may be that there will be no scaffolding OR it could mean work won't start until after April 19th
HERE'S WHERE YOU CAN FIND ALL FOUR NEW NIGHTTIME MAGIC SHOTS⤵️
As a part of our 15th Anniversary celebration, we rolled out a set of neon Magic Shots available after the sun sets from now until April 19, 2020!
1. At the end of Main Street, U.S.A. at Magic Kingdom Park
2. At the main entrance of Epcot
3. In front of the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
4. On Sunset Boulevard at Disney's Hollywood Studios #DisneyPhotoPass

Regardless of what Disney does or when they do it, someone is going to be unhappy with something they do, even if its improving something for later, someone is always going to be effected and not be happy. Epcot is finally getting a MUCH needed overhaul, one that had to be done. And everyone complained and complained about how sterile the park had become. Yet now that they are doing the work, many of those same people are complaining about all the work being done and how bad Epcot looks, not to mention the new dual rope drop due to the work. These are major projects that cant just be done at night or on a whim. They require time and yes it provides inconvenience. 2020 was already not a good year to plan on going even with the new attractions opening. Everyone knew major prep was going to start for the 50th. Does make it tough on those who are going.

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of this & got nervous :rotfl2:
1997-02-cakestle.jpg
I still have nightmares about that thing! Shudder.

I’m not familiar with DL’s evening show - is there a material castle projection part of it? They had scaffolding/scrims up for their recent castle painting. Obviously a much smaller castle over there. (Sorry DL peeps!)

HEA has such an integral projection component on the castle (not to mention lasers and fireworks shot from/all around it) - it seems like major scaffolding/scrims would require some modification of the show. That alone probably suggests more overnight work than anything. TBD, of course.
They do project in their castle but they also project on their Main Street buildings which when the castle was behind scrims made it less of a "miss". They also project onto IASW and a section of Rivers of America.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter