Cinco de Mayo solo trip: Salsa, Tequila and NUTS? UPDATED 6-10

The trip started when I found out for some reason I had points that were about to expire if I didn't use them before June. Forget that.

Definitely forget that. :moped:

From there I have no idea. Will play this totally by ear and see where the winds take me.

Like it.

This thread will either die quickly......

Whatever. :stir:

The rest can beg. I just shake my head at this ridiculous modesty.

Totally draining. :rotfl:

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Priceless. :rotfl2::lmao: :rotfl2:

Hot. I mean Animal Kindom in August hot.

Poor you. :rolleyes1 Yes sarcasm. It's in my passport. I don't know how it snuck into yours. Maybe your ancestors were traitors. :rotfl2:;)

Taunted a few Tweens that were obnoxious. Got ugly and they had to drag the father off to jail. OK not really. Did say something to the kids and when they continued picking on this much smaller kid, told his father to control them or I would take care of it. They left in a huff. Or maybe It was a minute and a huff.

Too bad no video. Truly.

I know this is boring without pictures.

Whatever part deux.

Raining right now. Planned on the MK tonight but will try to get into Jiko instead. Spent the morning at Epcot. Did the Culinary tour for Jiko and Boma. Pretty interesting and free food. Can't beat that at Disney.

Nice CJ! Can't wait to hear about all about it.

Have you visited your elan yet?

Yours is one of the few TRs that I would read even without pictures

Bang on Alison. :thumbsup2 And he knows it.

Alison, hope things change for the better soon. :love:

CJ, I have a very important question for you. ;) Ready? Please tell me that you can get Ernie and the boys in the room now. Please tell me that TNT is one of the extra channels added. I know you have more exciting things to do but check for me. I would make some snarky remark about tomorrow night but I'm so sad about my beloved - the love of my life - my Baron - that I'm in a very foul mood. He's just my guy. And I wonder if that's it for him career wise. Sighing.

Would love a report on your Jiko experience. I will be solo at Kidani in a few days and would like to hear about how it went for you. I don't really like sit down restaurants as a solo.

Woo hoo! Yet another wonderful cj9200 report. Will miss your photo's and your lovely daughter too but just enjoy reading about your adventure. Did you get your haircut yet?? Dh did this a couple of weeks ago and just loved it. No pixie dust for him though, just a very nice cut.

Have fun!!!

Cyndi

So glad you didn't let those points expire. That's sacrilage in our DVC world. Have a wonderful solo trip and keep the updates coming.

Tough to answer everyone from an IPad so time sensitive replies first.

Would love a report on your Jiko experience. I will be solo at Kidani in a few days and would like to hear about how it went for you. I don't really like sit down restaurants as a solo.

Same here. Jiko is great for solo dinners. Ask for the cooking table. Had great conversations with the people sitting next to me and the chefs preparing stuff.

We are staying at AKL in 2.5 weeks! Can you tell me about the Culinary tour? Is it offered daily? Where do I find out about the time/sign up? Thanks! It'll be hot, and I'll be 6 months pregnant, so that sounds like a diversion I could really enjoy. :)

Not an E ticket but interesting. You are led by someone from Africa and they tell you about the restaurant. I was interested in their life and country back home. We were fed soup, zebra domes and the taste of Africa breads with dipping sauces. I enjoyed it. They do it everyday at 4:00. No reservation needed, you just show up at Boma. Congrats on the soon to be Disney fanatic.

Not an E ticket but interesting. You are led by someone from Africa and they tell you about the restaurant. I was interested in their life and country back home. We were fed soup, zebra domes and the taste of Africa breads with dipping sauces. I enjoyed it. They do it everyday at 4:00. No reservation needed, you just show up at Boma. Congrats on the soon to be Disney fanatic.

Thanks so much! I think that time will work well - right after my afternoon nap/pool time. :thumbsup2 We've never eaten at either restaurant, so it'll be great to see them and sample.

I hope the vacation continues to go well. Can't wait to read more.

This morning at the Studios. Was going to eat at 50's but the skies were not looking friendly. Made it back the resort just before the rain hit. Right now it is pouring. No idea what to do next. Hopefully it will soon be out of here.

The culinary tour for Jiko sounds interesting...never was there at the right time to do that before.
Hope the rain clears out soon :)

Guess I got moved to the new place. Looks good.

Last night at AKL and the trip. Spent the morning at DHS and had lunch at 50's. Was going to the MK but was talked out of it by a bartender with a vodka and tonic. Enjoyed the pool bar and and the pool the rest of the afternoon/evening. In deference to DD cramming for finals, I skipped Wall-E which is her favorite Disney movie that was showing tonight.

Whoa! Didn't even notice they had a new TR section! I'll have to check this often for TRs from you, DVCMike and LisaViolet, my fave TR writers! There are a few others, but I know one just sold his points and others, I will catch here as well.

I just hope that someday y'all can read TRs from me again after two canceled trips I'm feelin' pretty bummed and are lovin' yours.

It helps those of us who are stranded at home to live vicariously through reading the adventures of others :)

Duck Soup!

You are correct

CJ, I have a very important question for you. ;) Ready? Please tell me that you can get Ernie and the boys in the room now. Please tell me that TNT is one of the extra channels added. I know you have more exciting things to do but check for me. I would make some snarky remark about tomorrow night but I'm so sad about my beloved - the love of my life - my Baron - that I'm in a very foul mood. He's just my guy. And I wonder if that's it for him career wise. Sighing.

If I remember correctly, TNT was one of the added channels. The expanded selection was great but I could not get all of them. For some reason, at each resort different channels would not have a signal. At AKV, it was the local stations. Weird.

Just getting to downloading pictures. Things were hectic since I got back. Hope to post a few tomorrow.

You gave the trip report a "Nuts" title! Now it's official :)

Thanks for giving me credit on the trivia question. It is one of the videos in my DH's oldies collection-after I conferred with him for the answer, we then made popcorn, curled up on the sofa, and watched it again that night.

We are all looking forward to pictures-too bad that the weather wasn't the greatest during your stay, but it sounds like you managed to make the best of it. Looking forward to hearing about the Jiko/Boma tour!

Now to a more traditional report.

Decided to think about flying this time instead of driving. Found a $125 round trip from Miami on American. Why not? Woke up about 5:00 am to finish packing and get ready for the shuttle pick-up at 6:00. Didn’t really sleep much of the night but that is typical before I leave on a trip.

A bonus was when I checked in online that night, American graciously upgraded me to First. The frequent flyer gods were smiling.

Shuttle was on time and I was the only fare he had so it was straight to the airport. The driver was chatty and I was tired but I tried to keep the conversation going. Problem was that he talked in a whisper and I had to keep guessing what he was saying and respond or ask him to repeat it. All the while thinking can’t we go faster? Arrived at the airport, tipped him and I think he said thanks. Couldn’t really hear him.

I may have mentioned that I HATE MIAMI INTERNATIONAL. It has to be one worst airports in the entire world including Third World countries. They spent over a billion dollars improving it and it is even more of a pain to get to the gate. A few days after I got back, one of the trams that takes you out to one of the spurs derailed.

monorail-derail.jpg

Here is Channel 4’s story on the accident
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/13/mia-people-mover-derails-two-hurt/

Finally got to the gate and still had over an hour of waiting before boarding. It seemed forever before these sweet words were spoken, “We are now boarding our First Class passengers.” No sooner than I sat down, the Flight Attendant asked if I wanted water or juice. To bad I am not going to be able to score this on the flight to Hawaii.

Door closed and we began to pull from the gate. And we were ON TIME.
IMG_3977.jpg

My flying companion, Harvey the Pooka.
IMG_3975.jpg

Knew it was too good to be true. As we were backing up, the power went off. This is fun. The emergency lights pop on and the Pilot comes on the intercom. “We lost our auxiliary power supply and will have to return to the gate.”

This is what it looks like when the power is off and the emergency lights are on
IMG_3978.jpg

After a not so short of a wait, we were towed back to the gate. Another tractor was hooked up and the power was restored.
IMG_3979.jpg

We were about 5th on the runway but they eventually got us out of there. A pic from the air of the new Marlin’s Ballpark. Notice the roof is open.
IMG_3986.jpg

I have a 20 game season ticket package and the place is pretty cool. A few from the inside on Opening Day.
IMG_3857.jpg

The ugly home run thing
IMG_3856.jpg

Center field and the Miami skyline
IMG_3878.jpg

The skyline from the air
IMG_3988.jpg

Meanwhile the Flight Attendant was by again and asked me if I needed anything. Let me see. Vacation, flying in First, early morning. “Yes, I think a Bloody Mary would do.” She soon returned with this.
IMG_3989.jpg

It was only about a 35 minute flight so we went up to cruising altitude and immediately started descending. A bright sunny day.
IMG_3994.jpg

Almost there
IMG_3996.jpg

On the ground it was time to catch a bus on Magical Express. I took this years ago when it first started and things have changed. Much more formalized now. Back then, you could practically just walk on the designated bus.

Now you have to check in. They print out a pass with your name and resort destination.
IMG_3999.jpg

From there you queue up in a designated line. Of course the Pop line was empty meaning I just missed a bus. It was at least 20 minutes until we were allowed to board.
IMG_4000.jpg

Sat on the bus for another 15 minutes as they waited for more people to show up. Unfortunately, a family with two obnoxious kids were right in front of me. They were bouncing off the walls, jumping in their chairs and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Too bad I left the duct tape at home.

After what seemed forever, we were off. The driver thought he was a comedian (he wasn’t) and did a 10 minute set before the film started. He did have Pooh as his navigator.
IMG_4001.jpg

Sitting next to me on the ride was a dad with his wife and 3 YO daughter on the other side of the aisle. They were from Boston and the girl was on her first Disney trip. Once the movie started, she was mesmerized. “Mickey!” Adorable.

After taking a lot longer than it would have taken if I was driving the bus we made our first stop. Caribbean Beach. Then to my place for the night, Pop. Thank god.

Total travel time was about 6 hours from my door to the entrance at Pop. It normally takes 4 hours to drive. Would I fly again? Probably not for a while. ME took about an hour and a half so that ate up a lot of time. But I did get to sit in a comfy seat and enjoy a Bloody Mary on the flight. So all was not terrible.

Up Next Pop and Tequila

So I arrived at Pop around noon. Was a bit tired and hoped my room was ready. Check in was only a short wait and the CM let me know it was ready. YES! Assigned in the 70’s section. Got the map and off I go.

Haven’t stayed at Pop for a while and it took me forever to find the room. Many wrong turns later I open the door and here I am. Normally I get lost driving around Disney, this time it was walking.

Room number 7218
IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

The Turbo Toilet
IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

The room was clean and everything worked. The bed looked inviting so I plopped down on it. Nothing to do this afternoon with the exception of the Touring Plans meet at 4:00. The idea now was to grab a few winks and then head to Epcot. So I closed my eyes and...... nothing. The mind wouldn’t turn off so propped the pillows up and turned on the Must Sees.

Left the room a little after 1:00 with the thought of touring the World Showcase until the meet started at 4:00. Travel time wasn’t bad and soon began the Bataan Death March to Epcot’s entrance. With the one entrance area through security it is a hike to get from the buses to the entrance. Had my camera checked for illicit items and headed over to Guest Services.

Why Guest Services you ask? When I was in New York to check out colleges with the Princess, my wallet was stolen. As an aside, try getting on a plane without any ID. Not recommended. Guess what was in the wallet. Yep, my AP.

While standing in line Anthony, a Guest Services CM came over to ask what I needed. Explained the situation and handed over my Passport (hadn’t replaced the Diver’s License yet) and gave him my address. He asked me to have a seat and went in the back. Came out after a few minutes and explained they found the pass in the computer but he said it expired in February. Considering I could barely get around last February let alone go to a park, I thought that was odd. Told him so and he went to check again and voila it does not expire until December.

Armed with my newly minted AP, I entered Epcot. Was coming back here later in the trip so glanced at the pretty flowers of the Flower and Garden Festival and made my way to the UK pavilion.

It was ridiculously hot and wanted to go to the Rose and Crown for a libation. Still had problems walking long distances (it is getting better) so a couple of breaks later I pushed my way in the R&C. Sardines had more room than we did in there. Two deep at the bar and not a chair at a table to be found. Finally got the Barmaids attention and ordered a Vodka tonic and a glass of ice water. Wasn’t any cooler in here than outside so took my drinks out to the garden area of the UK pavilion.

Spent a good deal of time sitting there people gazing while sipping my drinks (Sorry, no pics). Decided to stroll over to the Mexico side to wait for the meet. Walked by the new outdoor Cantina. I liked to old version and this was the first time seeing the new incarnation.

The new menu looked interesting
IMG_4026.jpg

The place was packed
IMG_4027.jpg

I can imagine with the expanded seating this would be a prime viewing location for Illuminations
IMG_4028.jpg

Did I mention it was hot? My main quest right then and there was to seek out air conditioning. Went over to Norway look into the shops (And no not to check out the Norwegian female CMs). Stumbled onto the Stave Church. Never went in ther before but with the promise of cool air decided to check it out.
IMG_4033.jpg

It was smaller than I imagined but interesting nonetheless.

An earlier times version of Fed (Dis Dad forum joke)
IMG_4029.jpg

He is actually this guy. Don’t ask me to type it here. Can I buy a vowel?
IMG_4030.jpg

Some interesting artifacts
IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

And add your own caption for who this is here (Barry, Tim, Norm?)
IMG_4035.jpg

About time to head to Cava de Tequila. Good way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Cava is an interesting place. Take out bar with a few tables set up. Guess what, the place was even more crowded than Rose and Crown. Tequila and Cinco popular? Who would have thought that? Saw someone with a Touring Plans shirt looking at a list. Turned out to be Scarlet one of the Touring Plans contributors. Gave her my name and she introduced me to a few of the people hanging out.

Went to get a cocktail and the line was well out the door. Saw Len Testa way ahead of me. Scarlet told me he was buying shots for the group but I needed something with Ice. On the way to the bar, they had a menu outside with a long list of drinks and different tequila shots. Finally got inside and ordered a classic margarita. Found out this was the biggest day of the year for them. They even opened up an hour earlier today.

So went back to the group that was huddled in one corner outside the bar. First real meet with a larger group of Disney Geeks. There were many kindred soles there and it was fun getting to know some of them. Len must had bought 20-30 shots for the group. Needless to say, many of us were feeling little pain as time wore on. Even though I only finished half of my margarita.

Unfortunately, the batteries on the camera died out and this is the only shot I was able to grab.
IMG_4036.jpg

Feeling good it was time to get something to eat. Was going to stop at Sunshine Seasons but instead stumbled back to the bus to Pop. Was a bit hungry so got a roast beef and blue cheese sandwich to take back to the room. Also got a couple of batteries.

It was close to the Kentucky Derby’s start so I stopped at the poolside bar for one last V&T and to see the race. Nice little bar and the pool was hopping.
IMG_4050.jpg

Should have known that “I’ll have Another” would win the Derby.
IMG_4051.jpg

Dropped the food at the room (this time I only made a couple of wrong turns) and decided to take a walk around the water. The sun was setting behind the Art of Animation resort so I snapped a few pictures.

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

Back to the room to eat dinner and crash. The sandwich was very good and a nice sized portion. The only thing it was missing was a horseradish sauce. Reasonably Disney priced at $9 something. The macaroni salad it came with was just OK.
IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

So travel day and the first night at the World was in the books. A good day all around. Upgraded to first, the room was ready at check in, and the meet was fun.

Up next: Checking in at AKV. AKA Kidani or Jambo? Did I guess right? I bet you can already answer that.

Ah, the Stave church! We have fond memories of the place, as it is a cool place to explore while waiting for an Akershus ADR. Also, it has more appeal to DS than the impending dinner with princesses! :rotfl:

Very nice beginning to the report! I love the cool air in the Stave church and it is usually quiet in there because most people don't even bother to venture in.

The Cantina is where I had that margarita that nearly had me fallling down by the time I got to the other side of WS. It was delicious, but very, very strong...especially on a day of intense heat.

I never saw that troll before-I can think of several people to name him after :laughing:

We interrupt this trip report to announce that one month from today I will be waking up at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona, Hawaii. Just booked our helicopter tour of the volcanos and waterfalls of the Big Island. A few days diving at Kona then a week at Aluani. Can't wait.

We interrupt this trip report to announce that one month from today I will be waking up at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona, Hawaii. Just booked our helicopter tour of the volcanos and waterfalls of the Big Island. A few days diving at Kona then a week at Aluani. Can't wait.

HOLY COW! We love the Big Island. And your resort will be close to downtown Kona so you won't have to fight parking problems--you can just walk. Have a blast! Wish I were going too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter