• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Trip Pros and Cons

Santa left a note for our son on Christmas Eve that because he knew he was on vacation at WDW, Santa thought it might be better to leave most of his presents at home rather than bring them to WDW. When we got home, presents were under the tree there. He got one or two smaller presents on Christmas morning at WDW.

We did this last year (2019) and it was possibly my favorite trip to date! It's just me and my husband so we drove down with presents already wrapped and a little tree (we got it at Target and just added some lights and a star to the top). Set up our presents around the tree and brought wrapping paper/supplies with us since we knew we could get more presents when we were there! It was so much fun to sneakily wrap presents on the other side of the bed after we'd bought and hidden them from the other during the day. We didn't do too much decoration in the room, mostly just the tree and presents, but I love seeing people's rooms with lights and things in the window! It was a magical time to be there for sure! We ate at the normal places we usually do, nowhere special.

For Christmas Day we did have a one bedroom at SSR from the 24th, checking out on the 27th, (we were at POFQ for the week before) so we made Christmas breakfast in the room after buying some supplies at Trader Joe's and supplemented our eggs and cinnamon rolls with some bacon and potatoes from QS. We did a dessert party on Christmas Eve which, while it wasn't amazing desserts, it had really great appetizers and it was so nice to have a guaranteed spot to sit. I didn't feel like it was too crowded, surprisingly! I think we went to EPCOT for Christmas and had lunch at Rose + Crown, just meandering around the park. It was such a relaxing, fun trip. On the way back home since we were driving we stopped at Mall at Millennia and did a little post-Christmas shopping for some extra souvenirs and had a leisurely drive back home!

As someone who has been the "leader" for a group of 10 before, I will caution that big groups move at a snail's pace. Its a difficult feat to get all 10 people on the same page when people have different wants, different travel habits, different morning routines, etc. We went as a group of 10 during late August one year which is a relatively slow time, but I considered it a success if we made it to the parks by 10am each day. My advice is to manage expectations accordingly, leave room for flexibility in your plans, and be ok with throwing plans out the window. Especially in the current environment, unforeseen things will come up and its difficult to manage a group that large amidst the biggest crowds of the year.

If it were me, I'd want a lowkey Christmas day. Sleep in, open some presents that you can pack (if you can fly Southwest, each person can bring up to two checked bags for free), go for a swim (weather permitting) and book a good TS meal for Christmas dinner. MK will reach capacity on Christmas day and even though it sounds magical, navigating through crowds as a group of 10 will not be. You'd also need to get there around park opening, which will likely be early, to ensure you're in before capacity is reached. Just something to keep in mind.

As someone who has been the "leader" for a group of 10 before, I will caution that big groups move at a snail's pace. Its a difficult feat to get all 10 people on the same page when people have different wants, different travel habits, different morning routines, etc

lol - I was the the ‘leader’ of a group of 12 last July. NEVER AGAIN. I’m glad some people/groups/families can do it, but not here. WDW is only for the four of us from now on!

We're done a few Christmas trips. Only one of them included actual Christmas Day. Two have included Christmas Eve. I've been the leader of multi-family trips, multi-generation trips, and children-bring-a-friend trips.

It's hard to actually list pros and cons because your family and your experience will be unique to you. So I will list what worked for us and didn't work for us and why I think it did(not) work.

I prefer to drive because I like my packing options and getting around outside WDW options. Note that we have food allergies, so the ability to have grocery staples with which we are comfortable is important to us.
I prefer to have extended family time separate from park time because tastes and abilities vary so widely among us. I want to maximize family time with extended family and I want to maximize park time at the parks - diverse attraction and food tastes prevent the two being combined.
Some of us naturally walk faster and are actually uncomfortable plodding along. Larger groups and larger crowds require a slower pace. If absolutely everyone in your crew is comfortable moving slowly in large crowds and adjusting pace to the slowest member, then you'll do fine.
Christmas crowds, even the week before Christmas, require you to realize you will see many many less attractions - getting everywhere, even through the bathroom, will take much longer than you expect. Seriously, expect to get half of a regular trip done.
Table service reservations are a quicker meal that counter service when the parks are crowded, but require your crew to want to eat at the same location and time. Liberty Tree Tavern had a turkey and dressing meal (year round) that matched our idea of Christmas, we also requested to be seated near the snow-fall view within Be our Guest and ordered not much because we had a later dessert party. In Epcot, the holiday food booths are festive for snacks if you find shorter lines or have someone in line while everyone else listens to a nearby storyteller. The German TS restaurant has live music that includes holiday tunes during the holidays. FYI reservations are harder to get in Epcot because so many of them are set aside as Candlelight Processional packages.
If moseying around the decorations in resorts, parks, and Disney Springs with your family is your primary goal, you will have an awesome time.
We, as others have mentioned, declared the trip to be Christmas with few other gifts - one easy to transport gift to open at WDW on Christmas, a souvenir budget, and the couple gifts to open when we got home. Note we don't normally have a souvenir budget - you buy what you can afford to buy with your own money on a non-Christmas trip, so a souvenir budget was a gift.
We have decorated two different rooms for Christmas in different years. We bought pack-flat garlands and a few lighted decorations. We also had clings and magnetic decorations - also mostly flat for packing. We found spiral trees that are basically flat until you extend them up into trees. If you are handy with ribbon, you can take large ribbon off of the spool and pack it small to wrap your door in a fantastic fluffy bow when you arrive. We bought one of the Disney gingerbread house/carousel/whatever kits and put it together at the beginning of the trip, we had a hands-off policy for a couple days to admire our creation, then it was munch away.
Christmas in the park strategy for us was locked-down uber-planned. We had 2-3 table service/party reservations in the park on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to ensure us a reserved spot to escape crowds and to be fed and to use a bathroom without insane CS or bathroom waits. IDK if they'll have FPs again this year (I hope so, but don't count on it) but we also planned mornings without FPs and afternoons with FPs when lines are usually longer - we did not leave the parks for fear of them reaching capacity. At least one of our FPs was for the Christmas Parade and we also had Fireworks Dessert Party to guarantee a spot for that. We love the storytellers at Epcot so that was where we spent Christmas Day - again with the same FP and Table Service plan. We did not do the Candlelight Processional dining package because we had seen it repeatedly in years past and we were only the immediate family that year. Instead we staked out a table across the walkway from CP and ordered CS in the American Pavilion so we could listen to the CP as we enjoyed our meal. We could NOT see the CP - people will stand at the back of CP, so don't count on having a view, but we could hear it and that was fine with us. The CP package has been worth it for us in the past for guaranteed seating, but it is still first-come first-served within that "reserved" area, so requires you to spend an hour in line to get a good seat. YMMV.

This year we have reservations but are leaving WDW the week before Christmas - college children have different schedules now. I'm grateful that I won't get there at the height of the crowds, don't have to worry about transporting presents or in-room decorations. Whether FPs or not, we still plan to make dining reservations to ensure a comfortable scheduled spot to eat every day in the park. Park reservations causes this to be a bit less flexible than in years past. Current reservations open for everyone at 60 days unless things change between now and December - this will also make getting reservations more difficult, so have a plan and make those rezzies ASAP. You will also have the lack of flexibility that comes with having to accommodate a large group. Disney is magical with holiday decorations and shows - if you realize you'll see and do much less, set some group ground-rules, and have similar tastes among your group - you will have an awesome Christmas to remember!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter