Christmas Shopping Today!

We all love to get ornaments, so in July, when we were at a Christmas shop, each "kid" picked one out. Plus, I get my DD20 an angel ornament every year--she has an angelic name, and I make super fancy ornaments--about 6 a year, and give one to DD28 every year (sometimes to the other kids, too, but always her, since she lives so far away).

My theory is, when the kids move out, they'll have a nice "starter" set of sentimental ornaments. It's a good theory, but aside from the oldest, no kids are budging...

in my 20's i dated a young man whose grandmother gave every grand an ornament every year b/c she said when they got their own places she did'nt want any of them to use the excuse of not having any/it being too expensive to decorate for christmas. i liked that idea so i started it with my kids with their first christmas. the ornaments either reflect a trip we've taken, a significant life event (ds got an animal house toga ornament when he started college :rotfl: ) or something they are currently interested in (youngest ds is in to the muppets so i get the new one each year, oldest is hooked on bluey this year so i got a customized one).
Do you know when the Kenough hoodies are shipping? My son bought one and has no clue when it’s arriving.

just looked-my order confirmation from mattel says it ships on or before 9/29/23.
I bought an advent calendar for my son in August when I saw it in a store.

we went to a cracker barrel about a month after last christmas and while waiting to be seated i was browsing their store's christmas clearance. stuff was 80% offo_O. pretty slim pickings but i glanced up on a high shelf and saw 2 BIG advent calendars-the disney storybook and the marvel storybook. i asked if those were included in the sale and if so could someone get them down. they were so i snagged both for less than $10 and look forward to pulling them out this year.

We have 12 stocking to fill. I usually buy stuff and put them away and then forget what I did with them. 🤣 This year, I started putting little things in a shoe box and not just such here and there in a drawer.
Now I am a cheap person, but when I see ads on tv for something for $35 with a note, "this would be a great stocking stuffing", I'm shocked. Perhaps in that was the one thing in stocking. As it is, I spend about $15 per person. Few real things, like chapsticks, hand lotion, little flashlights, and then candy, chips, nuts. Hard not to buy the same over and over. And will kid one be jealous that that kid 2 got better stuff. Yeah, I stress over stupid stuff.

At our church, the kids church has a "store". You get tickets for knowing bible verse, behavior, etc. Then you can buy stuff at the store. I bought a lot of little things, flash lights, planes, those sticky things that walk down the wall, punch ballons, etc. So got 1 doz of something, and kept two. ( I paid for all the stuff, no stealing of church funds occurred here)

Our grown kids, we stopped buying gifts for them about 5 years ago. Just ran out of ideas.

Grandkids, either send me the link for a gift or I'll send you a check. Half the time, DD will say get XYZ and I have no idea what she is talking about. Last few years we bought them season passes to hershey and a few extra gifts. I think hershey has gotten old. Not going as much.
I’m down to only two stockings but only had 5 at the most. I don’t fill them anymore for DD and her DH and DGS because they host Christmas at their house. I’ve always spent way too much so I can’t imagine 12.

I have a small gift list so no need to start early. Plus, my kids are adults with job money so I’ll be pushing them to get an idea come November. I keep it to one or two gifts for DD, DSIL, and DGS because they get an almost overwhelming number of gifts between both sides of their family. I get more things for DS since he only gets
Gifts from us. He doesn’t buy himself much so he typically will give me one idea of a want and then I get necessities like sneakers, work clothes, new sheets, fancy pillows etc…

Last edited:
None. But I buy mainly for DH. I do buy some Giftcards for my Sister & BIL.Also my niece, nephew & soon to be niece-in-law. There are a couple of children in our extended family we buy a small gift for but nothing that requires buying in September, Unless I see something on a vacation .

I started buying a few weeks ago and have things hidden.

I really need to figure out better Advent gifts than candy (no-one here loves it) and socks (everyone here now has a bazillion thanks to me) so any ideas for small trinkets is much appreciated. It is tough to find so many small things, maybe I should get a bunch of small denomination digital gifts cards I can print out? If anyone knows ones that have low dollar amounts I'd love to hear.

I did start to pick up Hanukkah gifts for my niece and nephew and am just about done, last year I put a small item in a goody bag a day with numbered stickers like I did for my family for Advent and it worked. Discovered my niece loves hair baubles which I love picking out so that is a win & my baby nephew is getting baby stuff like bath toys and one of those cups that keeps Cheerios from going all over the place.

We seem to have settled on gifting Godiva chocolates which are Halal around Thanksgiving for the people we care about who practice Islam, still not sure of the timing but I'm following their lead and so this seems ok. At any rate I can ship these or pick them up at Costco which has a nice selection.

I *was* going to start this first weekend in November, but I'm now in the process of paying my aunt back for this new computer I had to buy. She told me not to worry about paying her in December so I could shop for Christmas. I don't have tons of people to buy for so that's good.

My Godson is getting a Nintendo Switch from Santa, so I'll get him a couple of games. I went and bought some yarn yesterday to make someone a gift. Other than that, I'm not sure what to buy for everyone else.

Long ago all us siblings (on my husbands side as well except his folks - can't get them on board with it) & my Mom & Dad agreed to stop exchanging gifts, and we don't do gifts for any nephews/nieces over 18. It makes for a much more relaxing holiday for us. We have one niece and one nephew still under 18, so the niece will get a gift (legos? I'm not sure) and the nephew will get cash.
We have two grown sons, one DIL & one about to be a DIL. My husband wanted to do one more WDW trip with the 'kids' before life takes over for them, so that is their gift this year. We leave later in January. The only thing each of the 4 kids are getting is a stocking with a few odds & ends and a Disney gift card. Let me tell you - I never felt fussed over shopping or any of the hussle & bustle although I do sometimes have problems coming up with good gift ideas - there is something relaxing knowing I'm going into this season and I can sit back and just enjoy it all without a lot of the fuss.
Well - the dogs will probably get a LOT of gifts this year so I can get my holiday shopping fix in ::yes::

I *was* going to start this first weekend in November, but I'm now in the process of paying my aunt back for this new computer I had to buy. She told me not to worry about paying her in December so I could shop for Christmas. I don't have tons of people to buy for so that's good.

My Godson is getting a Nintendo Switch from Santa, so I'll get him a couple of games. I went and bought some yarn yesterday to make someone a gift. Other than that, I'm not sure what to buy for everyone else.
We often like edible gift for people, liquor if they drink, and fancy cheese or chocolate if they don't.

Put my husband's smokeless firepit in a save cart on Amazon. We have 4 grandchildren and like to spend the same amount on each one:
1. Grandson, A., wants 350-400 sneakers - he's 10 yrs old. Hesitating because I hope he changes his mind but he probably won't.
2. Grandson, H, will get a very nice art set and gift cards for his games.
3. Grandson, R., not sure yet but likely game gift cards and something his dad suggests.
4. Our only granddaughter, G., and the sister to our 3rd grandson- she loves anything girly and Barbie.
We're taking R. and G. to Disney World in a couple of weeks because their parents have been stationed in S Korea for the next 4 years. They will leave in early December. If they see something they like at WDW, we'll get that.
We're taking A and H to WDW in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter