Christmas Resort/Lounge Crawl

Monk6552

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going the first weekend of December for my first time visiting during the holidays. We're planning to do MVMCP on Friday night and then trying to figure out Saturday and Sunday. We definitely want to do Epcot festival of the holidays - but where also thinking of doing a Christmas resort/lounge crawl. We're staying at Gran Destino - so no great/obvious transportation options there.

What resorts would you recommend for a good lounge crawl that would also be particularly festive for the holidays? Thinking we would probably do this whatever portion of Saturday we aren't at Epcot. Definitely want to see fireworks at Epcot that night....so don't know if that means the lounge/resort crawl would need to be first half of the day or it's reasonable that we could start at Epcot then leave and do a resort crawl, and then head back to epcot at night. Am I being too ambitious!? All advice appreciated!

If you want to stay near close to EP, I suggest Belle Vue Lounge at BWI. I love that place! Also, there's the Martha's Vineyard Lounge over at the BC, and the Ale & Compass & Crew's Cup Lounge at the YC. All open at 4:00 which many of the lounges do and close at midnight. There are some beautiful decorations in the Yacht & Beach Club and Boardwalk lobbies. If you do the crawl after the park closes you will need a transportation option to get back to GDT if you don't have a car.

Ahh lounge opening time is a good point - thanks for flagging that. We've stayed at Yacht so we've done that area to some extent. Would taking the monorail from Epcot and doing the monorail resorts be doable do you think? or is that too long of a journey (to then go back to Epcot before fireworks)?

Yeah, the monorail resorts are definitely on the list. It's doable. Also, remember that there are security checks at the monorail resorts so you have to go thru those after getting off at each monorail stop. Tambu Lounge is open all day so you could start there, Trader Sam's at 3:00, and Enchanted Rose opens at 3:30 so better hours at those resorts. There's also Steakhouse 71 Lounge that opens at noon. Those lounges opening a bit earlier will definitely help. Remember that you will have to switch monorails at the TTC or you could walk from TTC to the Poly.

Last edited:

Ahh lounge opening time is a good point - thanks for flagging that. We've stayed at Yacht so we've done that area to some extent. Would taking the monorail from Epcot and doing the monorail resorts be doable do you think? or is that too long of a journey (to then go back to Epcot before fireworks)?
I’m always a fan of a lounge crawl, but there’s definitely plenty to do/see during the holidays during the day too. If you’re not familiar with the giant gingerbread displays, they are amazing. Each location typically has a shop with goodies for purchase as well, but those usually close between 4-6?

So definitely could be worth an afternoon to hit resorts you’re interested in, grab a hot cocoa and gingerbread, then shift to a festival cocktail before back for fireworks. Also, here’s a self guided tour from 2022 of the various resort decor. While you definitely don’t have to do all of it, could give you an idea of what you want to prioritize.

I’m always a fan of a lounge crawl, but there’s definitely plenty to do/see during the holidays during the day too. If you’re not familiar with the giant gingerbread displays, they are amazing. Each location typically has a shop with goodies for purchase as well, but those usually close between 4-6?

So definitely could be worth an afternoon to hit resorts you’re interested in, grab a hot cocoa and gingerbread, then shift to a festival cocktail before back for fireworks. Also, here’s a self guided tour from 2022 of the various resort decor. While you definitely don’t have to do all of it, could give you an idea of what you want to prioritize.
Thank you this is so helpful!! Definitely looking to see the Christmas decor too so this is helpful to prioritize which ones to see. I’m thinking of maybe doing Epcot in the morningish and then taking monorail to the resorts over near magic kingdom and then maybe looping back near dinner time. Just need to figure out if that’s too much. Last time I took my husband from rope drop to park close….and he was not happy about it! Trying to find a better balance.

Monorail crawl for resort lounges and incredible holiday decor, gives you the most with the minimal amount of travel. This way you can continue on the monorail either back to Epcot or MK.

Going at Christmas this year as well. Love this idea. I think we will go for the monorail crawl!!!

Hubby and tried a lounge crawl! Posted our experience below. Stymied a bit by not having a game plan but still had so much fun. If I were to do it again would probably start at Polynesian (Trader Sam’s is small but fun, have to wait in line to get added to a list), monorail to GF and then to Contemporary. I think those would be amazing at Christmas!

Post in thread 'Resort lounge crawl ideas?'
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-lounge-crawl-ideas.3916952/post-64763795

The gingerbread carousel at Beach Club is among those stunning gingerbread creations not to be overlooked. Each horse is decorated to convey a theme. When we last were at WDW for the holidays, it was Little Mermaid with an Ursula horse, an Ariel one, etc. Gorgeous. The carousel slowly goes round and round so you can easily spot details and appreciate the artistry.

Something you may not know is there for the holidays is the electric train layout in Yacht Club's lobby. It's a snowy village with villagers iceskating, bringing home the Christmas tree, and so forth. Do look for the section of Disney characters that'll be tucked away somewhere. So cute! If your DH is a train fancier, he'll love this! Even if not, it's still worth seeing for how cleverly it's done.

It's the little known gems like these that can be more appealing than the monorail resort decorations most Disneygoers are aware of, I think.

The gingerbread carousel at Beach Club is among those stunning gingerbread creations not to be overlooked. Each horse is decorated to convey a theme. When we last were at WDW for the holidays, it was Little Mermaid with an Ursula horse, an Ariel one, etc. Gorgeous. The carousel slowly goes round and round so you can easily spot details and appreciate the artistry.
Absolutely agree, the carousel is always my favorite. My family did a holiday trip a few years ago and saved a non-park day specifically to resort hop and see all the decorations.

If I was OP, I'd probably take the bus to MK on Friday before the party and hit one monorail resort. Then if doing Festival of the Holidays on Saturday, wander over to Yacht and Beach from Epcot to see that at some point. OR plan a completely dedicated resort day. Hopping to various resorts always takes longer than expected, I just would hate to overcommit.

Absolutely agree, the carousel is always my favorite. My family did a holiday trip a few years ago and saved a non-park day specifically to resort hop and see all the decorations.

If I was OP, I'd probably take the bus to MK on Friday before the party and hit one monorail resort. Then if doing Festival of the Holidays on Saturday, wander over to Yacht and Beach from Epcot to see that at some point. OR plan a completely dedicated resort day. Hopping to various resorts always takes longer than expected, I just would hate to overcommit.
that's a great point that we could hit a resort before the party - not sure why I didn't think of that!

I love a monorail crawl…next trip we are trying a skyliner crawl but at Christmas, it is hard to beat the monorail resorts. Put your name in for Trader Sams at 2pm and go explore Polynesian…you can get a dole whip! And you may be on the list to get in when it opens at 3…I have gone over later and usually get in within about an hour but i am not trying for happy hour times…then hit the enchanted rose at grand Floridian, check out the gingerbread house and market.. and hit Cali Grill bar or another at contemporary…if you have time boat to wilderness lodge for territory lounge….it is also very cool at Christmas…

If you could only do one Monorail resort pre party - what would you recommend? I guess if I'm following - only Tambu lounge and Steakhouse 71 lounge would be open with enough time to visit (I think a 3 PM open might be too tight)? Any recommendations between Poly or Contemporary?

If you could only do one Monorail resort pre party - what would you recommend? I guess if I'm following - only Tambu lounge and Steakhouse 71 lounge would be open with enough time to visit (I think a 3 PM open might be too tight)? Any recommendations between Poly or Contemporary?
The GF Gingerbread House and tree/lobby decorations are the best for the monorail resorts IMHO. You could get a drink at the pool bar and then walk or monorail to MK. Contemporary has a gingerbread display (not as impressive as GF) and you could walk to MK easily. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter