Christmas Ideas for Teenage Girls?

ashleyasiegel

Mouseketeer
I am in some need of Christmas Ideas for a 16 and 18 year old teenage girl who are both still in high school.

My budget to spend on them is 20-25 each. All they have asked for are gift cards/money which I refuse to give for Christmas as it impersonal.

They have asked for scarves or earrings but I am not sure what to get there as I don't know their individual taste really so I would hate to buy something they don't like.

The 18 year old is going off to college next fall - would a laundry basket with some dorm essentials be okay Christmas gift even though she isn't going to be able to use it for 9 months or should I save that for her graduation?

Thanks for your help!
Ashley

I am in some need of Christmas Ideas for a 16 and 18 year old teenage girl who are both still in high school.

My budget to spend on them is 20-25 each. All they have asked for are gift cards/money which I refuse to give for Christmas as it impersonal.

They have asked for scarves or earrings but I am not sure what to get there as I don't know their individual taste really so I would hate to buy something they don't like.

The 18 year old is going off to college next fall - would a laundry basket with some dorm essentials be okay Christmas gift even though she isn't going to be able to use it for 9 months or should I save that for her graduation?

Thanks for your help!
Ashley

Dorm stuff for graduation.

I'm with you on the gift cards in general, but in this case, if you don't know them well enough to know what they'd like otherwise... :confused3 I'd get them gift cards.

I got my DD16 a 1 1/2" Curling Wand for about $20. It's like a curling iron without a 'cover' that closes over the hair after it's wound on.

Moccasin type slippers with fuzzy insides.

Second HM's idea on the moccain's! Those are very popular here too, some girls wear them as shoes at school! DD wears hers at home and to wander around the neighborhood at friends houses. If you go them at Payless BOGO sale you would have enough leftover to add in a small gift card to them. I know it's impersonal, but it really is what the teenagers want, some of their own money to spend on a treat for themselves! My daughter would squeal in delight over Subway gift cards!! :rotfl:

Yes, gift cards and cash are impersonal but I think that's what I'd do anyway because that's what kids that age tend to want.

My kids are older now but when they were in their teens they would struggle to find gift suggestions to give to relatives who didn't want to do gift cards or cash.

The 'infinity' scarves are popular - if you purchase at American Eagle (or at Target), leave the price tag on - then they can return/exchange if it's not their color/style choice. Teenage girls have such individual tastes - I always leave a tag on (or include a gift receipt) when I purchase something for my daughters.

I had two 14YOs in my car the other day talking about how different Grandma's tastes were than theirs, and how they were sending pics with color choices when G'ma asked what they wanted. Not that you're a grandma, but my point is that they're very specific about what they like.

Don't we all remember getting THAT gift??? Something we couldn't figure out how anyone could like, much less purchase for us???

I'd say whatever you decide, a gift receipt with it would be perfect!

I wouldn't buy the dorm stuff for Christmas, graduation would be fine.

I struggled with the whole gift cards are impersonal thing as well, but I've given in for most of the teens on my list. It's actually easier and that way they get what they want instead of something they will never use. :thumbsup2

Second HM's idea on the moccain's! Those are very popular here too, some girls wear them as shoes at school! DD wears hers at home and to wander around the neighborhood at friends houses. If you go them at Payless BOGO sale you would have enough leftover to add in a small gift card to them. I know it's impersonal, but it really is what the teenagers want, some of their own money to spend on a treat for themselves! My daughter would squeal in delight over Subway gift cards!! :rotfl:

Dd15 got hers at payless - lol! And would be thrilled with a subway gc! I know cash and/or gc's seem impersonal, but they are such appreciated gifts for teens. My sister got my teens movie gc's, which they will love. My dd asked for jewelry, too, but I have no idea what to buy her. She did ask for lotions and perfume.

Skip any dorm stuff and do that for graduation.

Cash/gift cards is the way to go unless you want to contact their mom/guardian, and brainstorm with that person. Buying something that is "popular," has no bearing on whether your gift will be a hit. It could be the cutest most popular item and even fit perfectly and she may hate it or even have it already.

Doesn't it make more sense to just give the gift card? Last year Barnes and Noble had adorable little stuff bears that held the gift card. You could do that.

One year I made my own miniature stuffed bears, doll house sized as my nieces have doll houses. I tied the little bears on to envelopes holding the gift cards.

This year I'm making little counted cross stitch pockets that can later hang on the tree. Inside will go the cash.

Or skip the gift altogether and give them a day of shopping with you. Too far away? Something you could do on your next time together? Never getting together? Go with the gift card.

Gift cards are definitely the way to go with this age group.

I don't like doing gift cards especially myself, but I have a hard time picking out stuff my teen daughter will love, and I'm her mother. One scarf will be totally cool, and another one that to me is indistinguishable from the first is completely horrible.

I've learned that it's not really about me, it's about the gift recipient, and if that's what they really want, why make extra work for myself?

Cash isn't impersonal if it's what they want! My 16 next month wants cash and we are running into grandmas not wanting to do that. She wants to save up for, well anything. Give them cash. Heck, I like a card with cash.

I'm getting my neice (15) and nephew (13) something fun for PJ pants. (I might make them if I'm overly ambitious in the next couple weeks. :lmao:)

Hoping to find some fun ones tuned to their interests. I figure they're only wearing them to bed, so if it bombs, well they're sleeping, right? :)

Check out the company Little Mismatched (they have a store at Downtown Disney as well as online). Company sells tons of really cute, colorful "mismatched" socks that supposedly are all the rage now with preteen & teenage girls.

Love all their stuff... unfortunately I don't have a teenage girl to buy for, lol.

I don't love giving gift cards either (but I do)- they seem too impersonal to me as well.

But for some reason, I have convinced myself that if I gift movie or restaurant gift cards, that is okay, because I am gifting an "experience" or "something fun to do", instead of - "here - go buy yourself something." Crazy, I know.

OT, but I asked a friend what her four year old would like, she replied, a gift card. Really? A four year old asked for a gift card?

Thanks for your help!
Ashley

If you don't really know them well enough to know their individual tastes, then I think a gift card really IS the best way to go. Personally, I wouldn't give dorm supplies at this point in time, she'll have to store them and wait 9 months to use them.

I guess your best bet would be to get them so earrings or scarves and include the gift receipt in case they don't like it. Or just give them the gift card and tlet them go shopping (most 16 and 18 year old girls would LOVE to be able to go shopping!).

I agree - gift cards aren't as personal but you said you don't really know their likes. It's hard when you really want to surprise them and give them a nice gift vs just a gift card. Popular items can be regional so hard to get input on a national board.

I like the idea of "experience" gift cards - $5 to subway, $10 to the movies, $5 to a local ice cream place for a fun night.

What about a movie gift basket? Microwave popcorn, boxes of candy, 2 ltr soda and well, I guess Blockbuster isn't around anymore - does RedBox do gift cards?

Depending on what you want to spend, you could get $5 gift cards to a lot of different places and attach them to a small 10" tree (Target has purple, blue and pink ones) you could also get some new $1 bills and fold them into accordians and attach to the tree. You can also put necklaces, bracelets and earrings on the tree.

I love the movie gift card idea. And it's not impersonal IMO. It's for a specefic activity and to help out so they can have a nice time with friends when they may not have money to go. I think it's a nice thought.
In fact.. I love it when people give us movie gift cards! It's wonderful to have a free date night when we're saving for something else.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter