• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Games

Phil Cirrone

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
Anyone games ideas for a large family around twenty people to play on Christmas or Christmas eve.

Lisa

Guess What's On My Head! It's like Twenty Questions, kinda. Everyone tapes a Christmas image on their head and go around in a circle asking about what's on their head.

We play Right/Left - you read a story and every time you hear the words right or left you pass a gift - whoever has it at the end keeps it. I have a Christmas version.

We also have a "white elephant" gift exchange.

We have played Christmas Trivia in the past as well.

HTH :goodvibes

Christmas Trivia is that a game I can buy?
We play Right/Left - you read a story and every time you hear the words right or left you pass a gift - whoever has it at the end keeps it. I have a Christmas version.

We also have a "white elephant" gift exchange.

We have played Christmas Trivia in the past as well.

HTH :goodvibes

Bunco comes to mind first. Good clean dice fun, easy.

If you like cards, you can do a "tournament".

If you gamble you can add Texas Hold Em tournament.

Bingo

ETA.... With "Trivia" I would do it "Trivia Night" style. You have teams and categories of questions. That would be fun.

Then of course you have outdoor games (not sure where are) like horseshoes, washers, and "golf". Oh editing to see you are in NY, so probably not going to have anything "outdoors". :)

Good Luck! We love games.

Christmas Trivia is that a game I can buy?

No, sorry. I made up a list of Christmas trivia questions (about movies, cartoons, traditions, etc.) and put them in random numbered order. I held the answer sheet and we went around the room - each person would draw a number out of a bowl then try to answer that numbered question. If you miss, you're out. I was surprised how long it actually took (how much people knew) and was glad I made up plenty of questions. It got down to a battle between my brother and his wife. :laughing:

The right/left game was a hit, too.

I remember as a kid playing Win Lose or Draw (Pictionary)...my Dad would borrow an easel from work.

If you have a table big enough for all of you then LCR (Left Center Right) dice game is super easy even for kiddos and fun with a crowd. (Can purchase at Amazon.)

Also, my SIL and I both pinned this idea on Pinterest and are collecting items to put in it for our family's celebration:

http://imacubmasterwhatnow.blogspot.com/2012/03/tape-ball.html

"For those of you who have never heard of tape ball you take tape, I used masking and duct tape on the inside and clear packaging tape on the outside. It really is simple make a ball of tape with prizes taped inside, small toys and candy. (When we do this for holidays we put in money, giant pairs of underwear that sort of thing). Have everyone who is playing get in a big circle, one player gets the tape ball and the player in front of them a pair of dice. The player with the ball removes tape as fast as they can and anything they dislodge is theirs to keep. The player with the dice is trying to roll doubles as quickly as they can so they get a turn. As soon as they get doubles they pass the dice to the person next to them and then they get the tape ball."

I bought some Christmas trivia cards at Dollar Tree last year. They had both a "mainstream" version and a Bible version. I haven't looked this year, but you might be able to find something like that again.

My family played a version of "headbands" when I was a kid, too. We would each have a name of a famous person taped on our back, and then we ask other people yes/no questions until we could guess who we were. It's great, because the kids could be Mickey Mouse, while the adults could be movie stars, politicians, or even book characters.

We don't do organized games because everyone pretty much hates them.

What we do is have several jigsaw puzzles lying around, and we give everyone small toys as stocking stuffers; we have things like Hotwheel car races, slinky stair-climbing tricks, rubber-band airplane contests, tiddlywinks matches, jacks challenges, yo-yo challenges, and string-puzzle competitions. It's wonderful for getting adults to act like kids again, and it lets kids see their parents and grandparents demonstrate skill with a toy that they probably don't know much about.

i haven't ever played this with my own family, but have done it with friends and it is called telephone pictionary.

The gist is this:
Using any paper you'd like,cut it into squares big enough to draw and write. You really won't want less than 6 people to make it fun, therefore 6 squares/person.

You come up with a theme (Christmas is easy!) and the person writes a statement. Then, once people are done, they pass to their left (clockwise) and the person will attempt to draw what was written (using a stopwatch or timer) then they pass again to the left. the new person will write what they think was drawn. it continues in that patten until the original statement gets back to them. Then, everyone shares. :) Very fun game, IMO.

here is another good explanation from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_B9thvVso

Last year my extended family played a Christmas version of the baby shower candy game. We had about 12-15 different candy/ candy bars on the table for all to see. Then we gave out clues such as "Meet me under the mistletoe" (Hershey "kisses") or "These elves did not make the cut" (Mike and Ike) or "Santa has this" (Jelly Belly). Who ever guessed correctly won the candy. It was a huge hit with both the grownup and kids.

Our family tradition Christmas Game we call "Twas the Night Before Christmas."

Have on hand at least one gift for each person attending....and mom always had a few more, so some people ended up with two. They were a mixture of nice things, jokey things and some traditions that always got a laugh....like toilet paper wrapped in such a way that it looked like something else all wrapped up. The gifts are in the center of the room.

Type and print out the story, then cut it all up into phrases....for example "Twas the night before Christmas" and "Not a creature was stirring". When the narrator (Usually Mom in our family) comes to that phrase in the story the person with that phrase takes a gift from the center of the room. They do NOT open it. When there are no more gifts in the center of the room and your phrase comes up and you need a gift you may steal from someone else. Remember, they are all still wrapped at this point. This is where it gets fun....to see what particular gifts are the ones getting taken back and forth.

At the end of the game, if there are players without a gift...find a way to even it out. We usually go youngest to oldest of those without gifts take one from someone who has more than one, to ensure that every player has at least one gift. Then they are opened and the laughs begin. It is funny to see what the most stolen gift contains, and it is always something different each year.

We have been playing this game on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember, and now my siblings play it at their family parties and with their friends.

Linda

Apples to Apples is always my go-to game for large family events. Everyone always has fun and it's simple to play and easy to clean up. In fact, the more people you have playing, the better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter