Christmas Arches

nicola

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell<br><font color=gre
I have just read in another thread that the Christmas arches will not be there this year. I really hope that this is not true as the lights and everything down Main Street were one of the main reasons why I wanted to go for Christmas season. Why would they do this? Can anyone confirm this?

Well I have found the answer to my own question on a couple of other websites. It does appear that they are doing away with the Christmas arches this year :sad1: They are apparently working on a new concept for lighting in Main Street USA. While this may be welcomed for some veterans I am very upset about it. The arches are beautiful and really set the Christmas season apart from the other months of the year. I am not happy as I am never going to see them now only in other people's photos where they really look so beautiful. IMHO replacing the arches with some fireworks that last for 10 minutes or so is not going to cut it. Oh this is such upsetting news for me :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

I will commiserate with you Nicola, the arches look so beautiful in everyone's photos and we were so looking forward to seeing them.:sad1::sad1::sad1:

Elaine, I will be very interested to see what they come up with as a replacement for lighting in Main Street. I will try to keep an open mind but am dubious at present :rolleyes2 . I don't understand why they felt the need to change the arches as they are so beautiful just the way they are.

The problem with the arches is the amount of time it takes to set them up. Between Halloween and Xmas season there was no time to set them up so they had to be installed prior to Halloween. They would stick some witches on them to "hide" the xmas theme but they were still very visible and looked very silly with the macabre theming. I did love them at xmas as well but I never liked them during halloween. I hope they will come up with something that will enhance both seasonal event.

Let's hope so. If it is something equally as beautiful I will be happy. The arches always look so "christmassy" in the photos I have seen.

The arches may look great all lit up, but personally I don't think they look so hot during the day time. Also, without the arches you will get a much better view of the castle looking up Main Street.

You all sound so positive. I can see that the arches would not look good at Halloween :crazy: . I definitely agree with you there Morgan but what could they come up with that would be AS nice for Christmas evenings? I just can't help but think that Main Street is going to look lifeless and a lot less Christmassy without the arches. I will however try to work on being more open minded and positive about it. It's just that we will have spent soo much money this time having splurged to stay at DLH and its the first time we've been at Christmas. I hope the removal of the arches does not make Main Street look less Christmassy in the evenings. If anyone hears anymore news or rumours :listen: etc.. on what the plans are for Main Street lighting at Christmas could they please post about it. Thanks everyone.

I suppose the nice thing about Disney is that they are always challenging and changing - things never get stale.

I do totally empathise with you though Nicola - it is not nice when you really look forward to something to thejn realise it won't be there :(

Hopefully the replacement will be equally beautiful! I have to agree with Becky here though - from the photos I've seen they looked most odd in the daytime (of which there is more thasn night time).

Thanks guys, You really are starting to make me feel a tiny bit better about it. Sorry for being such a moan!!

Bexx said:
without the arches you will get a much better view of the castle looking up Main Street.
I have to agree with this - the arches were very pretty at night but the Castle is magnificent with all its Christmas fairy lights and you really couldn't see it for the arches until you got right to the hub. And I also agree that they looked pretty silly during Halloween. I hope they think of something equally pretty though.

Nicola,

There are many beautiful decorations during the Christmas season besides the arches. The shop windows are a work of art - each and every one is magnificent. Lovely big garlands are everywhere - the huge tree next to the Castle is wonderful etc. I'm sure the arches will be replaced with something equally lovely - so don't worry! I was stressing about the refurbishments being made at the Newport Bay this week before I got there - I hardly noticed anything amiss at all. Faint smell of paint and some of reception was blocked off - but apart from that nothing.

Joanne

Thank you Joanne, You make it sound wonderful!! I am a real sucker for Christmas. At the moment my DD2 has Mickey's Once Apon a Christmas DVD on. It is my all time favourite and of course I am watching it with her while I catch up on the weekly ironing. For everyone who has never seen this DVD it is a real treasure :goodvibes I hope that they do come up with something beautiful to replace the arches but I am sure the park will be lovely regardless.

The arches were fine during Halloween. Getting the orange paintover by the Pumpkin Men compromised the story.

But I'm glad they won't return. Most of the time they would get broken. And the large floats like the Sleeping Beauty float had to stop the moving Dragon, which looked quite silly. I'm pretty sure they'll come up with something amazing, like they did last year with the castle. Remember, DLRP may be low in money, but not in creativity... :goodvibes

Hi,

I´m just back from DLRP and a CM-friend confirmed that there will be no arches this year. The reason is that it is very expensive to fix them. They will need a big crane at least for 3 days, and as Holz tries to cut the costs....no arches this year.

Greets Renate

It will be interesting to see what replaces them but I was always very fond of the lighting ceremony every evening during Christmas season where they would turn them all off and then, starting with the arch nearest Central Plaza, they all light up one by one until they reach the castle which also lights up level by level until it reaches the top - spectacular to watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter