Christine McCarthy should be fired

I don't like her much and hope she is ushered out as Iger reorganizes the company. I do think the comment was in poor taste but was probably an attempt to be a joke - she probably realized that is sounded bad the moment she said it. My bigger concern is her association with McKinsey and bringing them in to make changes. She seems cut from the same Chapek, cost-cutter mold, and I don't like that style.

Last edited:
Should they fire Epcot management and Imagineering for removing the dividers on the seats in Ratatouille and admitting it was because of the size (weight) of the average visitor?

I don't know this person you speak of, but as someone who overeats and gains weight, this is not even remotely offensive to me at all. Is it a glossy, feel-good statement? Nope. But it's the truth. Really, someone should be TERMINATED over a statement like this? I weep for the world.
A lot of healthcare workers would lose their jobs if that was the case.

I'm sorry, but saying this is a fire-able offense is offensive to me in and of itself.
It is true, and the truth hurts sometimes. 75% ..., yes 75% of Americans over the age of 20 are overweight or Obese (including myself).

If America was in better shape, everything would be better for everyone Including Disney. Less in park emergencies, less use of scooters so less crowding, on and on and on.

I realize some people have medical conditions that can cause weight issues, but that is less than 1% of the population.

For me, people can choose to be and do whatever they want, but at times there can be consequences and blowback due to those choices. Losing your job because you implied that lots of Americans are overweight would be just as egregious as losing your job because you are overweight.

saying this is a fire-able offense
There were a lot of calls for her to be let go when it happened. Most centered around unprofessionalism. It did garner negative press a lot when it happened because it's in a nutshell reflective of how Disney's the corporation is viewed by people. Same as the "unfavorable mix" comment that was said about AP holders.

I think people try and look at this like "well duh she's not saying anything that ain't true" but remember the point of the discussion during the earnings was about looking at profits and that was an added comment that might have been reflective of what she may have been personally thinking but was not about the increase in profits. An executive would want to stick to that.

And let's also be honest that if a grocery store worker or server said that to a customer that had to put back something or opted to order something else "that would probably be best for your waistline" they would be let go extremely fast. Hmmm..now that would be an interesting thread to create on the Community Board...a long time from now when this conversation about her comments here have been forgotten when people can give their unclouded opinons...now that's an :idea:

I realize some people have medical conditions that can cause weight issues, but that is less than 1% of the population.

For me, people can choose to be and do whatever they want, but at times there can be consequences and blowback due to those choices. Losing your job because you implied that lots of Americans are overweight would be just as egregious as losing your job because you are overweight.
One percent? Oh no. Diabetes is one of many medical conditions that can cause weight issues. When the body has too much blood sugar, it converts it to fat and stores it.

Over half of all adults in the US a pre now diabetic or pre-diabetic. Approximately 12% are diagnosed diabetic. About 24% of the US adult population are pre-diabetics do not know they are pre-diabetic.

At least one reason for this is the American food supply is loaded with processed foods, over-milled white flour and unbelievable amounts of sugars in just about anything that comes in a package. Our food supply is contaminated with many types of sugar.

It is not just about unhealthy lifestyle choices or failing to be a jogger or a gym rat. They are finding family genetics plays a much bigger role than previously thought. If not creating diabetes directly, it creates a predisposition. It is also a consequence of aging.

There are many other conditions as well like metabolic syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing syndrome, hypothyroidism, menopause, depression, insomnia, use of some medications and more. But a big, big part of the cause of Americans being overweight or obese is the grossly contaminated food supply. That itself is contributing to the extremely high rates of diabetes. So, it really is important to discourage fat shaming. People who do that often just believe the fat person is just a food glutton or makes poor choices. That is the equivalent of accusing a person with Alzheimer’s of being unintelligent or not paying attention. It is cruel and useless social behavior.

One percent? Oh no. Diabetes is one of many medical conditions that can cause weight issues. When the body has too much blood sugar, it converts it to fat and stores it.

Over half of all adults in the US a pre now diabetic or pre-diabetic. Approximately 12% are diagnosed diabetic. About 24% of the US adult population are pre-diabetics do not know they are pre-diabetic.

At least one reason for this is the American food supply is loaded with processed foods, over-milled white flour and unbelievable amounts of sugars in just about anything that comes in a package. Our food supply is contaminated with many types of sugar.

It is not just about unhealthy lifestyle choices or failing to be a jogger or a gym rat. They are finding family genetics plays a much bigger role than previously thought. If not creating diabetes directly, it creates a predisposition. It is also a consequence of aging.

There are many other conditions as well like metabolic syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing syndrome, hypothyroidism, menopause, depression, insomnia, use of some medications and more. But a big, big part of the cause of Americans being overweight or obese is the grossly contaminated food supply. That itself is contributing to the extremely high rates of diabetes. So, it really is important to discourage fat shaming. People who do that often just believe the fat person is just a food glutton or makes poor choices. That is the equivalent of accusing a person with Alzheimer’s of being unintelligent or not paying attention. It is cruel and useless social behavior.
So cutting portion sizes would help NO one? She didn't say it would help everyone. I am diabetic (diagnosed almost 18 months ago). Cutting portion sizes WOULD help me. I don't see it as "body shaming". Or are we at the point that if one person (or some small number of people) is offended, we should all be offended?

Correct, and I fit into that mold. My family on my fathers side are all diabetic. I was pre-diabetic as of a few years ago. You are correct in that our foods are loaded with processed crap and sugar, which was a major contributing factor to my diagnosis. I tried to cut this and cut that, adjust this and adjust that but my A1C levels stayed the same year after year. The doctor kept telling me to change my diet or it will get worse. It wasn't until this year, I finally made the right changes..... reduced as much processed foods and added sugars. Within a couple of months my numbers dropped. At my last follow up, my numbers were at the cusp of the pre-diabetic levels, just .1 less and I was no longer considered "pre-diabetic". I'm willing to bet I'm far below that now since we've continued our dietary changes. What made me look deeper and change? Fat shaming. Comments from family and even from myself was enough (plus the doctors warnings and family history). Many people have the ability to make that choice, just like I did. Many choose not to and blame the weight issues on things like you mentioned. Diabetes doesn't always cause weight issues, weight issues often lead to diabetes. *not saying ALL or EVERYONE, but many....far too many.

I was able to drop (so far) 25+ pounds and stabilize my A1C, triglycerides, as well as a few other "concern" areas according to my doctor. I don't run (unless being chased) nor am I a gym rat (I don't go to the gym period). Healthy choices are exactly that, choices. One will choose to do better or not. Choices have consequences and sometimes those consequences are bad (or worse).

Should they fire Epcot management and Imagineering for removing the dividers on the seats in Ratatouille and admitting it was because of the size (weight) of the average visitor?

American car manufacturers have increased the size (width) of the vehicles cabin and seats over the years to accommodate the populations increased waistlines. Should all those engineers also be fired? *not directed at you, just adding to your reply

So cutting portion sizes would help NO one? She didn't say it would help everyone. I am diabetic (diagnosed almost 18 months ago). Cutting portion sizes WOULD help me. I don't see it as "body shaming". Or are we at the point that if one person (or some small number of people) is offended, we should all be offended?
For you, it is a personal decision; diabetic or not. If it is more than you need, share a portion, take a leftover bag or just do not eat it all. I never opined that just eating less would help no one.

If they cut portion sizes they should also cut the price.

I was not responding to TeamRiley’s being offended. Being offended is a personal reaction. He does not need my validation to know his own feelings.

It was his statement that 1% of overweight or obesity in the USA was impacted by a medical issue. My point was the percent of the population impacted by medical issues and/or food supply contamination is so much greater that it becomes important to not presume the cause of an overweight person’s condition is solely due to poor lifestyle choices.

Ms McCarthy stepped in it when she made that statement. I am sure she wishes she had not said that.

Tax Guy. Yay! Good for you! Bravo! Takes a lot of work and never letting up to achieve your results. I have even gone to grinding my own grain and making all the dough we use. I bake several times a week for my family. I make my own pizza sauce, ketchup, green sauce etc so I can control sugars. Eating less, using protein for balance etc. But it is a very different life than the hurried, average American life. But really proud of you. Genuinely so.

Correct, and I fit into that mold. My family on my fathers side are all diabetic. I was pre-diabetic as of a few years ago. You are correct in that our foods are loaded with processed crap and sugar, which was a major contributing factor to my diagnosis. I tried to cut this and cut that, adjust this and adjust that but my A1C levels stayed the same year after year. The doctor kept telling me to change my diet or it will get worse. It wasn't until this year, I finally made the right changes..... reduced as much processed foods and added sugars. Within a couple of months my numbers dropped. At my last follow up, my numbers were at the cusp of the pre-diabetic levels, just .1 less and I was no longer considered "pre-diabetic". I'm willing to bet I'm far below that now since we've continued our dietary changes. What made me look deeper and change? Fat shaming. Comments from family and even from myself was enough (plus the doctors warnings and family history). Many people have the ability to make that choice, just like I did. Many choose not to and blame the weight issues on things like you mentioned. Diabetes doesn't always cause weight issues, weight issues often lead to diabetes. *not saying ALL or EVERYONE, but many....far too many.

I was able to drop (so far) 25+ pounds and stabilize my A1C, triglycerides, as well as a few other "concern" areas according to my doctor. I don't run (unless being chased) nor am I a gym rat (I don't go to the gym period). Healthy choices are exactly that, choices. One will choose to do better or not. Choices have consequences and sometimes those consequences are bad (or worse).
Congratulations. Making those changes can be very hard. Made harder on many people both rural and in cities who don't have easy access to healthy food.

https://www.bayer.com/en/us/understanding-americas-rural-and-urban-food-deserts

American car manufacturers have increased the size (width) of the vehicles cabin and seats over the years to accommodate the populations increased waistlines. Should all those engineers also be fired? *not directed at you, just adding to your reply
Reality there. There is truth to it. The numbers I cited show it. I have been wondering if the frequency of ride breakdowns has anything to do with the reality that guests weigh more these days.

For you, it is a personal decision; diabetic or not. If it is more than you need, share a portion, take a leftover bag or just do not eat it all. I never opined that just eating less would help no one.
Yea, I've all but given up on that choice. I did great for about a year, like @TAX GUY, lost weight (about 20-25#), got my A1C numbers down right about the breaking point for pre-diabetes, and I've since lost motivation. I've put on ~15# and my A1C and daily numbers have increased greatly. But I just can't make the choice to get "healthy" again. I don't have the willpower or motivation.
If they cut portion sizes they should also cut the price.
That's a business decision. If the price (for ANY item) you feel is too high for what you get, here's a "choice"... don't buy it. People have been complaining for YEARS about Disney ticket prices. When's the last time you've gone to a park and it's not crowded? Therefore the prices aren't "too high". The same thing with food.
I was not responding to TeamRiley’s being offended. Being offended is a personal reaction. He does not need my validation to know his own feelings.

It was his statement that 1% of overweight or obesity in the USA was impacted by a medical issue. My point was the percent of the population impacted by medical issues and/or food supply contamination is so much greater that it becomes important to not presume the cause of an overweight person’s condition is solely due to poor lifestyle choices.
Was weight gain caused by a medical issue or did the weight gain cause a medical issue?
Ms McCarthy stepped in it when she made that statement. I am sure she wishes she had not said that.
Possibly. Or she may be thinking "can people NOT get offended so easily"?

And let's also be honest that if a grocery store worker or server said that to a customer that had to put back something or opted to order something else "that would probably be best for your waistline" they would be let go extremely fast.
Your comparison is flawed. If she said that to a specific patron at Disney, she should have probably been in trouble. She did not.

Let me re-phrase to clarify. Only about 1% of people suffer from medical conditions that cause obesity that they have absolutely no control over.

Congratulations. Making those changes can be very hard. Made harder on many people both rural and in cities who don't have easy access to healthy food.

https://www.bayer.com/en/us/understanding-americas-rural-and-urban-food-deserts
Absolutely. Gone are the days I could grab something convenient so I could spend more time working.

Now my grocery shopping is outer edge of the store — mostly in produce. I am so grateful I have the access and funds to do that.

Restaurant choices are harder than people think too.

Last edited:
Your comparison is flawed. If she said that to a specific patron at Disney, she should have probably been in trouble. She did not.
It's only flawed in your opinion as you're not relating to my point. It's about professionalism (which was in my comment). Regardless of whether any one person may think xyz y'all know when to keep it out of being actually said. If you want generalized let's say your local grocery store said it to mean all of their shoppers or a restaurant corporation when they discussed how they could increase their profits.

It's on point and reasonable for an executive to discuss how reducing portion sizes may affect profits and take that with the odds of how well received that would be by their consumers. Adding in non-relevant and inflammatory remarks however is not. My example was that the accountability in everyday life would be much more likely to be swift. I'm not even responding to whether I think she should or shouldn't have severe ramifications but I am being realistic that in everyday life the more lowly employees (be that a franchised owner, store manager or even employee) would have severe consequences. You do not have to say it to a specific person for it to be unprofessional and know better than to say something like that. The server represents the company same as the grocery store clerk. Same as she is a representative of the company.

It's about professionalism (which was in my comment).
I wish you were right. Professionalism, just like Style, Class, and Dressing up to go to a nice dinner, are dead in this world. And you can see them impact of that everywhere. Like I said, I wish you were right, but those days are gone.

Yea, I've all but given up on that choice. I did great for about a year, like @TAX GUY, lost weight (about 20-25#), got my A1C numbers down right about the breaking point for pre-diabetes, and I've since lost motivation. I've put on ~15# and my A1C and daily numbers have increased greatly. But I just can't make the choice to get "healthy" again. I don't have the willpower or motivation.

That's a business decision. If the price (for ANY item) you feel is too high for what you get, here's a "choice"... don't buy it. People have been complaining for YEARS about Disney ticket prices. When's the last time you've gone to a park and it's not crowded? Therefore the prices aren't "too high". The same thing with food.

Was weight gain caused by a medical issue or did the weight gain cause a medical issue?

Possibly. Or she may be thinking "can people NOT get offended so easily"?
I’m sorry, Sam. It is a rodeo like trying to quit smoking. Gotta get back in there and try again. The problem is this a tougher battle than smoking cessation. We cannot cold turkey quit food. So I understand the deep frustration. For some it is harder too. We are individuals, not machines where the input of the same effort is always the same result. If I look at a chocolate chip, I gain a pound!

Yes, pricing is a business decision. So be upfront in saving costs by reducing portion size and stop there. The spillover to guest waistlines was ill considered.

Weight gain and diabetes contribute to each other in a vicious circle. It is not one came first. The onset of diabetes probably converts sugars to fat. Then the weight gain contributes to diabetes. But it starts with high blood sugar being converted to fat. There could be a genetic predisposition there.

Yes! About not being offended so easily. But some awareness and learning things so we can be gentle with others whose path is not our own is good too. Not so judgmental is all. Our world of Barbie dolls and air-brushed models is not always teaching good lessons.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter