Chosen for Nani in live-action Lilo and Stitch, but should she have been?

I don't think we can have it both ways. If we're trying to include more actors of color by casting them in roles that were previously played only by lighter-skinned actors, then we're saying (rightly, I believe) that acting is about the acting, not the looks.

We can't then turn around and deny someone a part because she doesn't look ethnic enough if she truly did the best read for the role. Maybe the one who got it just has something in her personality that screams "Nani" and makes her really believable?

This is my thought too. IMO “colorblind” casting has to go both ways.

I don’t view these live action versions as remakes but as retelling of the story. I enjoy them for what they are. The only one I didn’t enjoy as a whole was Lion King and only because they added too much filler and made the movie too long.

View attachment 755607

Sydney Agudong, part Hawaiian, born and raised on Kauai will play Nani.

Nani's dark skin is such an important factor in why she struggles to get a good job and to provide a livable home for Lilo.

I say no, bad choice. She has none of the distinctive features of an indigenous Hawaiian as do animated Nani and Lilo, also a factor. Had she those, makeup might be tolerable for me.
When you look at pictures of her that are more natural, less makeup, she looks like she can fit the part just fine. We also don't know how the story will go ~ they often alter them. Perhaps her reasoning for not getting work will be something else. I looked at this photo of her family and honestly couldn't figure out which was her. Naturally she looks very different.

sydney-agudong-family.webp

And the live action Snow White is going to be played by a Latina. That one has left me scratching my head.

It doesn't matter as long as she fits the role. SNOW WHITE skin coloring set off by dark hair and eyes. Those are the most important parts of who she was. I think she has not only those qualities but the bone structure of Snow White. Leaked photos look good.

dfhji0l-934e5298-0b94-498c-9bb9-98104f580cf6.jpg

When you look at pictures of her that are more natural, less makeup, she looks like she can fit the part just fine. We also don't know how the story will go ~ they often alter them. Perhaps her reasoning for not getting work will be something else. I looked at this photo of her family and honestly couldn't figure out which was her. Naturally she looks very different.

Makeup to enhance that slight Nani slant on her eyes might work for me, but otherwise, no. Compare noses with what presumably is her father. HE (minus the face fur) looks more like Nani!

A few prosthetics on the sides of her nose might make her Nani-enough for me. A good makeup artist can do some stunning alterations of that sort. I wasn't so bad at building prostheses back in college theatre. Lotta fun trying to make an actor look like a well-known animated character.

But, comparing her with Nani here? She's gonna need some makeup help.
1682434667076.jpeg

Makeup to enhance that slight Nani slant on her eyes might work for me, but otherwise, no. Compare noses with what presumably is her father. HE (minus the face fur) looks more like Nani!

A few prosthetics on the sides of her nose might make her Nani-enough for me. A good makeup artist can do some stunning alterations of that sort. I wasn't so bad at building prostheses back in college theatre. Lotta fun trying to make an actor look like a well-known animated character.

But, comparing her with Nani here? She's gonna need some makeup help.
View attachment 756055
I think Hawaiians have lots of different looks, and we have no idea how this movie will handle the lack of job situation??? And we are going from cartoon to live action ~ bound to be some changes.

So I'm guessing that Ariel is bad casting as well, not even close other than red hair?

It doesn't matter as long as she fits the role. SNOW WHITE skin coloring set off by dark hair and eyes. Those are the most important parts of who she was. I think she has not only those qualities but the bone structure of Snow White. Leaked photos look good.

Snow White above is an excellent reason on how I could care the above actress's ethnicitiy if they for me, fit what I want to see and that is what is in my head based off of the cartoon. Maybe she is not "white as now" as a real person, but above she looks 99.9% like the character though the cartoon has freakish wide eyes.

I think she is perfect for the role. We already know there is talent there but the features, hair, eyes and coloring are just right in my opinion. Not sure who would have been a better fit for this role from the current crop of actresses in that age range.

As far as the Latina comment previously, I’m Hispanic and I have dressed as Snow White for quite a few Halloween parties. She was always my favorite Disney princess because she looked like me!

Snow White above is an excellent reason on how I could care the above actress's ethnicitiy if they for me, fit what I want to see and that is what is in my head based off of the cartoon. Maybe she is not "white as now" as a real person, but above she looks 99.9% like the character though the cartoon has freakish wide eyes.
I think they took a Snow White cartoon and manipulated it to be in same position she was in. Perhaps the eyes were off a bit. She has all the components, and they have costumed her perfectly.

I've seen lots of photos of her that she is very snow "white" so I imagine with lighting it works. I mean I am full Euro (mostly Irish/English) and she is lighter than I am. Overall I don't think it matters about skin color but in this particular part she is called Snow White because her skin is so light, like snow. There is a happy medium it can work.

newFile.jpg

Rachel_Zegler_Ketchup-Big.jpg

I think she is perfect for the role. We already know there is talent there but the features, hair, eyes and coloring are just right in my opinion. Not sure who would have been a better fit for this role from the current crop of actresses in that age range.

As far as the Latina comment previously, I’m Hispanic and I have dressed as Snow White for quite a few Halloween parties. She was always my favorite Disney princess because she looked like me!

YES! One thing I think is important when going from Cartoons to Human is bone structure. Snow White has a unique look and I think Rachel has the perfect bone structure. I think it's a great casting.

And regarding Ariel, I think the most important component was red hair, and she has it. But if you look at Ariel's bone structure (it's bold) and nose shape ~ Hailey has the perfect structure, nose and lips. Love this casting too!

You are right. I know the story uses the "white as snow" description, but she wasn't actually drawn that way.

141128-brothers-grimm-translation-tease_lvejqo

One might chalk it up to color timing isuses, but really, she isn't pale. She does have a pretty serious blush going on at all times. Rachel Zegler totally works. She is talented and lovely! I might prefer darker hair than in the photo, but that may not be how it will appear on screen either.

I think they took a Snow White cartoon and manipulated it to be in same position she was in. Perhaps the eyes were off a bit. She has all the components, and they have costumed her perfectly.

I've seen lots of photos of her that she is very snow "white" so I imagine with lighting it works. I mean I am full Euro (mostly Irish/English) and she is lighter than I am. Overall I don't think it matters about skin color but in this particular part she is called Snow White because her skin is so light, like snow. There is a happy medium it can work.

newFile.jpg

Rachel_Zegler_Ketchup-Big.jpg

YES! One thing I think is important when going from Cartoons to Human is bone structure. Snow White has a unique look and I think Rachel has the perfect bone structure. I think it's a great casting.

And regarding Ariel, I think the most important component was red hair, and she has it. But if you look at Ariel's bone structure (it's bold) and nose shape ~ Hailey has the perfect structure, nose and lips. Love this casting too!
Rachel Zegler is also half Polish, which might be where she got the paler skin.

Ariel is a fictional mermaid from a fictional place, so I don't think skin color or ethnicity really matter.

Rachel Zegler is also half Polish, which might be where she got the paler skin.

Ariel is a fictional mermaid from a fictional place, so I don't think skin color or ethnicity really matter.

I do wish they had done Ariel's hair as a brighter, poppier red color, but I'm generally fine with it. She does look the part, especially in the face.

So I'm guessing that Ariel is bad casting as well, not even close other than red hair?
You may not have read my followup post in part saying this:

Doesn't matter to me in the least if an Asian Indian or darkskinned Black woman plays Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, etc. These are fictional characters in mythical contexts. Their appearance isn't closely linked to the plot. They can look like whatever the director wants, perhaps to make a point akin to Santa Claus does not have to be white or Jesus was highly unlikely to have looked like the blue-eyed, fairskinned white guy in popular images.

Tiana? I'd have major issues if Scarlett Johansson were cast in the role. Tiana's appearance and her ethnicity are very strongly entwined, somewhat like Nani's.

See post #14 above for full context.

ETA: I certainly agree that Stitch, etc. are hardly realistic characters, but Nani and Lilo are portrayed like real-life humans in a very relatable relationship with struggles to be a workable family in their circumstances.

Stitch and the other imaginary elements don't drive the plot as much as Ariel's wanting to be human or Aurora's Maleficent-imposed sleep.

Last edited:
You may not have read my followup post in part saying this:

Doesn't matter to me in the least if an Asian Indian or darkskinned Black woman plays Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, etc. These are fictional characters in mythical contexts. Their appearance isn't closely linked to the plot. They can look like whatever the director wants, perhaps to make a point akin to Santa Claus does not have to be white or Jesus was highly unlikely to have looked like the blue-eyed, fairskinned white guy in popular images.

Tiana? I'd have major issues if Scarlett Johansson were cast in the role. Tiana's appearance and her ethnicity are very strongly entwined, somewhat like Nani's.

See post #14 above for full context.

ETA: I certainly agree that Stitch, etc. are hardly realistic characters, but Nani and Lilo are portrayed like real-life humans in a very relatable relationship with struggles to be a workable family in their circumstances.

Stitch and the other imaginary elements don't drive the plot as much as Ariel's wanting to be human or Aurora's Maleficent-imposed sleep.
I just don't think it can work one way and not the other. And there are ALIENS in this movie so overall it's a mythical story.

The actress is Hawaiian and I see no reason why she can't play an indigenous woman. She might not be "Hawaiian enough" for some but I think she is. Her skin tone is fine, she looks more like the part than most actresses would. Cartoons are exaggerated features usually so I don't know who they would find that would look exactly like her anyway.

sydney-nani.jpg

I agree with you on Tiana as it's a more historical based movie, including the voodoo.

I do wish they had done Ariel's hair as a brighter, poppier red color, but I'm generally fine with it. She does look the part, especially in the face.
I also was hoping for more vibrant red but you know from all the trailers I've seen ... the movie in the water is dark. It's nothing like the vibrant mermaid life in the animated. I'll be curious if it becomes more vibrant when she is out of the water. But it works underwater, too bright and she'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I also was hoping for more vibrant red but you know from all the trailers I've seen ... the movie in the water is dark. It's nothing like the vibrant mermaid life in the animated. I'll be curious if it becomes more vibrant when she is out of the water. But it works underwater, too bright and she'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah - I guess I would've brightened up the entire thing. I know it's more realistic to have it darker under the water, but it is less aesthetically pleasing.

OP, you said ...
Nani's dark skin is such an important factor in why she struggles to get a good job and to provide a livable home for Lilo.
I have to say, I never got that from the movies at all (and I own DVD's of all of them, because one of my kids was obsessed with Stitch). Is there something in the dialogue or action that makes that clear somewhere? If there is, my apologies because I managed to miss it.

My impression is that Nani struggles for the same reasons as would any teenaged big sister trying to raise a young sibling alone and keep a home together after their parents' deaths. She is very young, has no real assets other than a somewhat run-down house, doesn't have a lot of marketable job skills, and also doesn't have a reliable baby-sitter to keep Lilo out of trouble while she is at work. I don't think the other kids ostracize Lilo because she's full Hawaiian, but because they see her as just plain odd. (I remember other very Hawaiian-looking girls in the hula class who were accepted just fine, and Nani's friend David seems to have no trouble getting and keeping jobs; perhaps because he doesn't have a perpetually-in-trouble younger sibling to raise?)

You may not realize this if you don't have a connection to the Autistic community, but Lilo tends to be hugely popular with autistic kids (and even adults) because they identify with her. Auties don't tend to see her ethnicity at all; they just see her as one of their neurodiverse tribe. I don't know if Disney intended that implication, but she has been adopted as one of their own. Does that mean that Disney had an obligation to cast someone on the ASD Spectrum in the role? I'm guessing that most people would say no.

I suppose that if you're part of an ethnic minority portrayed in a film and see a struggle like Nani's, you would project factors like skin color or characteristic facial features into the struggle as well even if those factors are not discussed or specifically portrayed, and that's perfectly understandable. However, I'm not sure it's really fair to fault the studio over not casting based on an appearance factor that doesn't appear to be explicitly included as a critical plot point.

I agree that there are times when so-called colorblind casting goes a bit too far; we recently attended a touring performance of Les Miserables in which Young Cosette was played by a black actress while Adult Cosette was played by a blond, blue-eyed white actress, which truly strained suspension of disbelief. However, I'm not sure this is one of those times. Disney did clearly make an effort to cast an actor who had an ethnic connection to the character and some experience of the setting. The casting call announcements included the following verbiage: "We encourage submissions of diverse actors, including actors who are of Native Hawaiian/Polynesian/Māori descent."

Yeah - I guess I would've brightened up the entire thing. I know it's more realistic to have it darker under the water, but it is less aesthetically pleasing.
I think if they can add a mermaid to the underwater scene (the height of fiction) they could brighten the place up without feeling the need to be "realistic".

Way too many of these live action movies have turned out too dark. Disney movies are supposed to be bright and beautiful (at least in places).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter