• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choosing Home Resort for larger family

xtinewashere

Earning My Ears
HI Everyone!

I need help and am debating between 2 resale contacts. I'm torn between either BWV or BRV as a Home resort at the moment and need help deciding between the 2. My ideal home resort is BWV but I can get BRV for a much better price so I am being swayed by that. I am not fussed about 2042 end date.. Hubby is pushing 50 so I have to be realistic about that :/

I love the proximity of BWV so I'll be happy to stay there anytime as a fallback. I like the area and the food options which suit my picky eating kids. I love that I can let the kids wander in this area a bit more and if they prefer to stay in the hotel while us parents could make a short trip to Epcot for a dinner. (kids are 11, 14 and 17 so they're not babies)

Besides eating at Ft. Wilderness a couple of times I have never stayed on-sight. It's a beautiful resort and I like the idea of being close enough to take a boat to MK but the theming does do much for me. We're from Canada so it doesn't so much feel like an escape for us or at least not as tropical feeling as other resorts. I like that it's quiet and a studio can still sleep 5. Points are a little higher to stay here but i heard rooms are getting refurbished which is nice.

Here is my logic- I'm looking for a DVC that I don't have to spend a lot of points for. Hoping to keep our points within 100-150 too so annual dues don't get unreasonable. Realistically I"m looking to go every year staying in a studio or every other year if we splurge on a 1bdrm. I am like the option of a studio which is harder to book for 5 as a decent fallback at the 11th month windows knowing that 1bdrms are easier to find at 7 months. I like BWV but if I can save a good amount for BRV maybe that's the best option?

When thinking about future trips we have a few in mind- we want to stay at AKL, I've like to try OWK for a larger 2 bdrm one day, poly is a dream stay and WL would be fun to try. With that in mind would a home resort be a bit concern in that case? I'm always happy to stay at a home resort with a 5 person occupancy but we want to at least try a few different ones on the next few trips. So with that in mind besides BRV would any other options open up.. for example if I get a cheaper Saratoga Springs contact and just try to book a studio here and there either at BW or WL?

As my kids get older, they all might not want to travel so falling back to studios after another few years after that. In that case I'll have more options which makes something like AKV as a great option for a home resort for the value stuidos.

Am I over thinking this? I guess what I"m asking is that if I should stick to a family of 5 studio home resort option or if saving money is priority right now, perhaps look more into BVR, OKW or AKV where my money will go farther?

Signed Confused DVC Shopper :/ :D

I think you should buy where you want to stay the most. BWV has the best location on property besides BCV (but it’s just too small). The one bedroom at BWV does not sleep 5 unless you bring an air mattress, so studios or 2 bedrooms are your best bet there. My 3 kids are similar in age and they really don’t like being smooshed into a studio anymore and frankly it’s not as fun for us either. I really think 200 points will give you more flexibility with studios getting harder to book everywhere especially if you plan to travel in the fall.

Availability at both BRV and BWV at 7 months starting mid Sept to early January is tough irrespective of size and view type. So buy where you would want to stay applies strongly to this situation

I think you should buy where you want to stay the most. BWV has the best location on property besides BCV (but it’s just too small). The one bedroom at BWV does not sleep 5 unless you bring an air mattress, so studios or 2 bedrooms are your best bet there. My 3 kids are similar in age and they really don’t like being smooshed into a studio anymore and frankly it’s not as fun for us either. I really think 200 points will give you more flexibility with studios getting harder to book everywhere especially if you plan to travel in the fall.
in that case you think aiming towards the larger contract and planning for 1bdrm at Animal Kingdom would be a good option? I think our best 1 bdrm options are AK or OKW and that might be the norm for the next few trips... unless an air mattress can work for BWV.. which just feels like switching to a 5 person 1 bdrm would be better.

I was aiming small because my Husband is on the fence :/ He seems to think we might tired out from Disney...He's the last one that should be thinking this as it's the biggest fan out of the entire family! I thought we could add on one day after our first trip or two.

I do agree that a studio is not a great option for teens and tweens... now with 1bdrms as options I'm sure I'll learn towards that more but I'm looking for the best value in terms of points.

I have kids same ages (17,14,11) and own at BLT and BWV. We initially bought BLT because 1 bedrooms have the extra bathroom and its location. Added on more points there and bought 2 small BWV contracts. We cannot do studios--too much closeness and too much snoring. BWV will give you a lot of point bang for your buck--standard views seem so cheap compared to other resorts. If we do a one-bedroom at BWV, kids have to share a pull-out bed AND we have to bring an air mattress. They have been complaining about that lately, so we are doing 2 studios our next trip to BWV (my oldest will be 18). We had a 2 bedroom at BCV in December and I really think that is going to be our future.

You can always add another contract later if you decide studios aren't for you.

in that case you think aiming towards the larger contract and planning for 1bdrm at Animal Kingdom would be a good option? I think our best 1 bdrm options are AK or OKW and that might be the norm for the next few trips... unless an air mattress can work for BWV.. which just feels like switching to a 5 person 1 bdrm would be better.

I was aiming small because my Husband is on the fence :/ He seems to think we might tired out from Disney...He's the last one that should be thinking this as it's the biggest fan out of the entire family! I thought we could add on one day after our first trip or two.

I do agree that a studio is not a great option for teens and tweens... now with 1bdrms as options I'm sure I'll learn towards that more but I'm looking for the best value in terms of points.
Our family’s top choices are the one bedrooms at BLT and AK kidani because the one bedrooms sleep 5 and have two bathrooms. We love Disney so getting tired of going there is not an issue for us. You might decide later on once the kids are out of the house to take longer studio stay trips. DVC has changed how we vacation at Disney it doesn’t have to be all parks all the time we enjoyed just staying at the resorts too. I actually just got a blow up mattress for our one bedroom stays too just so all the kids have their own bed and it worked great. OKW definitely has the most space but not the second bathroom. Unless you are planning to hold any of the 2042 resorts til the end I wouldn’t buy them because there will be a drop off on resale down the road. We own at boardwalk and love to stay there we just try to get a two bedroom now. When the kids were little we would make an extra “bed” on the floor with the couch cushions. As the resorts transition to the new Murphy pull downs this will no longer be an option as the couch and all its cushions stay in place 😂

Just to stir the pot a bit. Once you stay in a 1bdrm, you will always want to stay in at least a one bedroom villa (or maybe that is just SWMBO). I second the choice of BLT (Walk to MK!) and AK Kidani (It has a savannah!) because of the second full bath and plenty of room for 5.

BWV does not have dedicated 2bdrm villas (can make reservation a challenge) and my DD HATES sleeping on a pull-out couch (we'll be trying the new Murphy bed at SSR).

We have stayed in a 1bdrm Boardwalk View at BWV (a "bonus" of COVID-19) and loved the view. However the walk to the room was so long I was considering renting a scooter (kidding/not kidding).

How easy it is to get a 7 month non-home reservation really depends on when you travel. If you can avoid holidays and spring break, your chances are good at large resorts (BLT, SSR, OKW, AKL, BWV) especially if you have the points for more expensive rooms (like a 1bdrm).

Long way of saying, Add-onitis is a thing.

I've found this to be challenging too. I really wish more of the 1 bedrooms slept five with actual bed space for five (as opposed to the fact that some of them let you sleep five if you bring an air mattress and sheets).

We stayed at a BRV studio last month with our three kids and even though they were little (9, 9 and 5) we found it tight, and the single small bathroom area was a bummer. Really love the studios that have two showers like the Poly/Riviera and wish they were all like that.

From what you've described, Kidani or OKW is probably the best choice to get a 1 bedroom for five with the best point value.

I would pick BWV for the low point standard rooms, Epcot on your backdoor step, skyliner to Hollywood studios, and tons of food options in walking distance. Eating / drinking around the world and wondering back to your room without having to worry about transportation cant be beat.

I would also favor BWV. It is by far our favorite resort, and yeah it expires in 21 years, but that’s the only down side to it. Your kids will be in college within 7 years, you won’t be taking as many family Disney trips as you are now. Then before you know it you will be getting 2 bedrooms since the kids will have significant others. Life comes at you fast.

If your goal is point efficiency and walking to Epcot, BW is an obvious choice — but only if you use the 11 month booking to get BW. It works mathematically because of the chart and how few points it takes.

If you’re flexible on dates or traveling mid-week, there’s also the option of sleep around points. Buy some cheap SSR, sell it in 15 years (or 5 years) when you’re done with it. It will be tough to get a BW studio maybe, but it won’t be hard to get something. And maybe you get lucky and do get a BW studio.

BWV has the location, but our kids will probably push us to stay to SSR or Kidani next visit. They found BWV very uncomfortable sleeping compared to the those other 2 resorts. But using BWV points at SSR or Kidani is a lot easier than the other way around so there you have it...
I would seriously give BLT a look. 2 bathrooms for a 1Br on the monorail line is nothing to sneeze at. It is not just walking to MK, but you have a TON of resorts within easy reach and booking there can be tough.
Secondarily, I would recommend staying in a 1 Br at Kidani early on. Find out if you enjoy the Savanah and the space and the 2 bathrooms, and don't mind the transit time. I love it and missed being there our last trip.

I'd rent points and put off the purchase. You haven't stayed at either resort - haven't really stayed on site at all if I'm reading correctly. And your family is on the verge of big changes - the 17 year old will get their own life quickly (college, job), and the fourteen year old is honestly not far behind. Rent points for each resort for your next two trips, decide which one you like - and that will also take you through the first little bird leaving the nest (or at least stretching their wings).

Don't plan on BWV standard view studios regardless of when you travel - so if that point chart is adding to your thought process, its best to assume you will have a preferred view studio, and then if you get to save some points on a standard, its awesome.

Five in a studio when your kids are older is tough. In fact, I wouldn't own DVC at all to stay in studios. The lack of two real beds is a problem.

I'd rent points and put off the purchase. You haven't stayed at either resort - haven't really stayed on site at all if I'm reading correctly. And your family is on the verge of big changes - the 17 year old will get their own life quickly (college, job), and the fourteen year old is honestly not far behind. Rent points for each resort for your next two trips, decide which one you like - and that will also take you through the first little bird leaving the nest (or at least stretching their wings).

Don't plan on BWV standard view studios regardless of when you travel - so if that point chart is adding to your thought process, its best to assume you will have a preferred view studio, and then if you get to save some points on a standard, its awesome.

Five in a studio when your kids are older is tough. In fact, I wouldn't own DVC at all to stay in studios. The lack of two real beds is a problem.
Thank you.. you're swaying my mind to rent for our next trip and then see. I probably am on the cusp of lots of changes

I would rather stay home then have to share one room and one bathroom with 5 people while on vacation. We always do two bedrooms when all 5 of us go and 1 bedrooms usually when it is just DH and I. Studios are too cramped and we like the full kitchen for beverages and snacks. I even occasionally cook spaghetti for diner if we don't feel like going anywhere and eat by the pool.

We own both BWV and BRV, but spend way more time at BWV. Our kids were about your kids age when we bought 15 years ago. Epcot is now their favorite parka and DHS is second. With banking and borrowing you can pull off a two bedroom at BWV for not too many points. That gives you off years to go someplace else to get a Disney break.

Good luck with your decision.

Is BRV that much cheaper? The point charts should be better at BWV, I think MFs are lower, and you get a better location. BRV is a really nice resort but its not BWV (I own there and RIV).

Have to over time BRV really isn't likely to be much of a savings over BWV.

As mentioned your traveling family is going to shrink over the next 5-10 years, 17 yo to college, summer internships, first job, about that time 14 yo starts college, summer internships, first job. But about the time your youngest is off to college, the older ones may be starting with significant others and grandkids so the traveling family could be growing for the next 10 years. You can always add on.

I would rather stay home then have to share one room and one bathroom with 5 people while on vacation. We always do two bedrooms when all 5 of us go and 1 bedrooms usually when it is just DH and I. Studios are too cramped and we like the full kitchen for beverages and snacks. I even occasionally cook spaghetti for diner if we don't feel like going anywhere and eat by the pool.

We own both BWV and BRV, but spend way more time at BWV. Our kids were about your kids age when we bought 15 years ago. Epcot is now their favorite parka and DHS is second. With banking and borrowing you can pull off a two bedroom at BWV for not too many points. That gives you off years to go someplace else to get a Disney break.

Good luck with your decision.
all very good points.. thank you!

Is BRV that much cheaper? The point charts should be better at BWV, I think MFs are lower, and you get a better location. BRV is a really nice resort but its not BWV (I own there and RIV).

Have to over time BRV really isn't likely to be much of a savings over BWV.
well now you have me thinking.. i'm going to dig out my speadsheets and review again. i'm looking more at the initial investment but should pay attention to the MFs too. I figure I can move outside of my home resort and considering 1 and 2 bedrooms provide more options.. but ya, I should look at the price of the whole contract and the cost of points where I'll likely be staying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter