Choice Between Two Nikon DSLR Cameras

Eaglefan9727

Mouseketeer
Hi Fellow Forum Members,

My name is Randy and I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera which would either be a Nikon 3300 or a Nikon 3200. I have been doing photography for a number of years and for the last 7 to 8 years of those years. I have been shooting with a Sony DSC-H20 point and shoot camera that is 10MP with a 10x zoom on the camera. However, I am ready to move up to a DSLR camera at this time, But I am looking for some info and advice from other DSLR photographers.

At this time, I have about $600 to spend and I am planning to get a bundle package when I buy my first DSLR camera. The two bundle packages that I am looking at are as follows:

1) Nikon 3200 24.2 MP CMOS sensor, AF-S DX 18-55 mm lens with a AF-S DX 55-200 mm lens.

Price of bundle $599.98 at Best Buy

2) Nikon 3300 24.2 MP CMOS sensor, AF-S DX 18-55 mm lens with a AF-S DX 55-200 mm lens

Price of bundle $599.99 at BJ's Wholesale Club

I am not that knowledgeable with DSLR camera, But I am guessing that the only difference between those two bundles are the cameras itself. If so, Can you tell me what the difference is between the two cameras?

The type of photography that I do are railroads, amusement parks, landscapes, nature, and animals. However About 90 percent of my photography is railroads. I don't consider myself to be a great photographer, But I am decent enough. In the past, I had one of my railroad photographs featured in a national trains magazine.

What am I looking for in my first DSLR camera? I am looking for a DSLR camera that I can shoot panoramic shots with. Also, I am looking for a camera or I should say a lens that will still give me that or close to a 10x zoom that I have on my current point and shoot camera.

In the future, I am only planning to buy one extra lens for the DSLR camera that will give me the best zoom option that I can get for under $250. If anyone has any suggestions for the best lens. It would be appreciated.

Like I said above, I am not that knowledgeable with DSLR cameras, So any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope to hear from other DSLR owners who can give me some good helpful information.

Thanks again,
Randy

Last edited:
For starters.... Nokia makes phones.... Nikon makes DSLR cameras.
Nokia also makes a great tire.

Sorry about saying Nokia instead of Nikon. I edited the topic and post and now. It says Nikon instead of Nokia.

With the brand now clarified.... The D3%00 is Nikon's series of entry DSLR's. The next step up would be the D7200 with higher performance (focus points, AF motor, frame rates, etc...). I say get the D3300 now and grow with your skills.

With regards to lenses.... it depends on your budget and how far you want to advance your skills.
  • the 18-55/55-200mm combo is popular if you are on a budget
  • for the Point 'n Shoot users addicted to zoom. Consider the 18-200mm that gives you 11x. Nikon also offers a 18-300mm that gives you something like 16x. While I love superzooms for the following. Do understand there is distortion (pin cushion, barrelling, softness). The built in flash may give an unwanted shadow for the lens size. You need to consider an external flash.
    • wide range by conveniently just twisting your wrist
    • no lens swaps to keep your DSLR sensor cleaner
    • one lens takes up less camera bag space than two lenses
  • more advanced photographers get the 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm. All lenses are f/2.8. These lenses minimize the distortion and allow for more light. They are big and cost about $2000 EACH.
  • for those that want NO distortion and larger aperatures. Prime lenses are another option. While the 50mm is affordable, other lenses do add up in cost.

The D3300 is newer and just all around, slightly better than the D3200. So for the same price, I'd get the D3300.

Now, you said you want to invest in the "best zoom" option. What do you mean by best zoom? Longest? Like a 70-300? You mentioned panoramas, so do you mean widest zoom? Like a 10-24? Or do you mean the biggest range you can find in a single lens, like a 18-270? Do you mean the best optical quality in a zoom lens? In which case, in your budget, it would be the Tamron 17-50/2.8. So not sure what you mean by best zoom: best IQ, longest, biggest range, widest, etc.

I think you mean the longest zoom.... In which case I would skip the kits that include the 55-200.

I'd buy the D3300 with the 18-55, someplace online, so you can save by not paying any sales tax. (and find free shipping as well). For example, BuyDig has the D3300 + 18-55 for under $500.
The kits you are looking at, is the 55-200 the one with VR, or without VR? You really want VR on a lens like that. Truthfully, it's a pretty cheap lens regardless of whether it is the one with or without VR. I would skip both entirely.
Instead, I'd get the Tamron 70-300 usd, which is a very very good long zoom lens. There is currently a rebate available on it, making it $400:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...94358&sr=8-1&keywords=Tamron+70-300+usd+nikon

So I'd get the Nikon D3300 + 18-55 + Tamron 70-300 usd, for a little under $900 total. Then you are covered from 18-300. (you won't miss the tiny gap from 56-69). And the Tamron 70-300 is light years better than the 55-200.

Thanks for the replies.

Havoc - When I talk about zoom. I want to be able to get 10x the zoom like I was able to get on my point and shoot camera.

There is a deal for the Nikon D5200 with two lenses for $595 (Talls Camera Bellevue, WA) has it. I am sure others do as well...

Thanks for the replies.

Havoc - When I talk about zoom. I want to be able to get 10x the zoom like I was able to get on my point and shoot camera.

So 10x in one lens? In other words, 24mm-240mm is 10X, but so is 10mm-100mm, and so is 30mm-300mm. Those are all 10x lenses.
Or, do you mean your old P&S reached about 250mm, so you want a total kit that also reaches about 250mm?

If you paired the 18-55 with a 55-200, your effective total would be 27mm-300mm, total kit. So slightly more than 10x.
If pairing the 18-55 with the 70-300, your total reach would range from 27mm to 450mm, so the total would be about 17x.

There are "all in one" lenses like the Tamron 18-270 ($450) and the newer Tamron 16-300 ($650) -- They are more expensive than, AND INFERIOR to, simply pairing the 18-55 with the 70-300. You are paying more for the convenience of "all in one," but getting inferior optical quality at a higher price.

OK....Like I said previously, I am not that knowledgeable on DSLR cameras, So I am guessing you are saying that one of the lenses in the package will get me to 10x zooming like the point and shoot camera that I am coming from. If that is the case. That is all I wanted to know.

Lets put it this way. With the two lenses that comes with the package. Would I be able to get good to decent detailed shots of the moon? The reason why I ask is, Because I am going to a air show in May that has the Blue Angels and I am interested in getting good detailed close up shots when they are in the air.

Last edited:
OK....Like I said previously, I am not that knowledgeable on DSLR cameras, So I am guessing you are saying that one of the lenses in the package will get me to 10x zooming like the point and shoot camera that I am coming from. If that is the case. That is all I wanted to know.

Lets put it this way. With the two lenses that comes with the package. Would I be able to get good to decent detailed shots of the moon? The reason why I ask is, Because I am going to a air show in May that has the Blue Angels and I am interested in getting good detailed close up shots when they are in the air.

Depends how far away you are. I'd go a bit longer for something like that... I'd go with at least a 300mm lens. That's why I suggested skipping the 55-200, and instead getting the Tamron 70-300. But yes, even with the 55-200... you may need to crop a bit, but you may be able to get what you're after.

Here is a moon shot of mine with a 300mm:

untitled-338.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

300mm and a X2 teleconverter, for 600mm:

daymoon-2.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

I was just using the moon as a sample shot. I know with my point and shoot camera. Shooting the moon was not even close to what I wanted, But I had no desire to even have a moon shot to begin with. My main photography is railroading and I just want to make sure that I can shoot from a decent distance of maybe a half mile or slightly above at the most and still get a good shot of it which my point and shoot camera does.

What is the difference between the one lens you posted a link above and the one lenz in this link
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300m...d=1426220895&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+75mm-300mm

BTW, I really like that first shot of yours.

Last edited:
I was just using the moon as a sample shot. I know with my point and shoot camera. Shooting the moon was not even close to what I wanted, But I had no desire to even have a moon shot to begin with. My main photography is railroading and I just want to make sure that I can shoot from a decent distance of maybe a half mile or slightly above at the most and still get a good shot of it which my point and shoot camera does.

What is the difference between the one lens you posted a link above and the one lenz in this link
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300m...d=1426220895&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+75mm-300mm

BTW, I really like that first shot of yours.

The lens I posted has stabilization. Without it, you need to shoot at very high shutter speeds to prevent camera shake blur. And the lens I posted is simply known to produce higher image quality.

OK thanks. I will probably end up getting the bundle package this weekend when my wife and I go to Bj's Warehouse. As for any extra lenses. It will most likely be a while before I get any other lenses for the camera. If I can shoot some close up shots of railroads from 100 to 300 yards away with either lens that comes with the package. And if my pictures come out slightly better than they do on the point and shoot camera. I will be happy with it.

Here are 5 shots that were taken from my point and shoot camera. The last shot was taken at 10x zoom. All the other shots weren't taken even close to 10x zoom. All I want with the DSLR camera is better quality shots like you see posted with the excellent detail in the shots like you see in the Nikon picture thread and still get be able to reach what I can do with the point and shoot cameras. Even if it is in the auto mode as 95 percent of my shots are taken in auto mode with the point and shoot camera.

The first three shots were taken maybe at 15 to 30 yards away
The fourth shot was taken about 75 to 100 yards away
The last shot was taken about 200 to 250 yards away which is rare for me to take pictures at that distance, But I do it from time to time.

Last edited:
Over the past year I have tried to stay away from the "what camera to buy" threads. It is such a subjective topic that leads to arguments. Saying that, some of your statements lead me to believe you are looking for better quality images than you are currently getting with your point & shoot. You have chosen one of Nikon's entry level cameras with consumer "kit" lenses. You also state that you want images like those you see on the Nikon picture thread.

First, not all Nikon cameras are created equal. Many times you are seeing images created with higher end camera bodies and lenses. Which leads to the second part, that many of the photographers are high end enthusiast and professionals. You should be able to get better quality with a DSLR in auto, however you may have to do a little work to understand how to make the type of images you are looking for. Many of the images you are looking at are not straight from the camera but have had some post processing.

Its all about your expectations. Many times I have heard the complaint that "I spent a lot of money on this camera and it doesn't take any better pictures than my little camera!" A DSLR is a wonderful tool, but just manage your early expectations until you learn how to use it and learn its limitations.

I understand that most of them have post processing such as photoshop and lightroom. At some point down the line, I plan to get photoshop or lightroom to do my own post processing on pictures. I know that I will have some learning to understand the camera better. The day that I plan to buy the camera which could be tomorrow if the local BJ's has it in stock. I am planning to buy the "Dummies For The Nikon 3300" book as well at Barnes and Norbles. Lets put it this way, If I can get even some added quality to the shots right out of the camera on automatic until I learn it. I will be very happy with it.

Its good to learn your equipment and another book I would recommend is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. IMHO it is the best at explaining the photographic triangle of shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

Hi Eaglefan9727!
I'm currently growing my photography skills from beginner to enthusiast and growing my equipment with it. I've been shooting DSLR's for about 10 years now but just recently started to challenge my abilities. I started with a beginner Canon Rebel back then and have grown to a prosumer camera now and am considering making the jump to full frame soon. So the 3300 will probably serve you well to get started as you learn all the jargon that goes along with it. When I left point and shoot, I shot almost exclusively in P mode (which gave me a little control over the process) and in jpeg. After 9 years, I'm comfortable shooting almost exclusively in Manual mode and only import Raw images now. Those are things that a point and shoot normally can't do well.

Definitely get the book that Gianna'sPapa recommended. It will help you understand how to shoot pictures. It is a great book that is easy to understand.

Good luck with your decision to get a DSLR. If you challenge yourself to learn, you will definitely produce better pictures than you ever could with a point and shoot.

Oh, one last bit of advice that has really helped me, check out Flickr. You can see some excellent pictures there and very often the type of camera the person used along with their settings will be there. The settings "recipes" will help you replicate their results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter