• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choice between spirit or frontier

Cshel85

Mouseketeer
Booking flights would you pick one airline over another Spirit vs Frontier. Flying out of PHL

Lots of older threads on this topic. One's opinion of them seems to relate to whether they had more good/bad experiences. Where I used to live, Spirit was constantly on the local news with irate passengers stuck somewhere with no good way to get home. If there was a mechanical issue or weather delay, they don't have a lot of extra planes to take up the slack. It might be a few days before another plane becomes available.

I love Frontier when flying out of their hub in Denver, but anywhere else has been a bit more stressful. They do not have enough bag check stations at MCO and it is always a sh*t show getting bags checked. Other than that, and then weighing the costs of the extras you need, I do like Frontier.

One thing to consider is how many flights a day they have. If your flight gets canceled and there are no more flights after yours, you are stuck - possibly for days.

We usually fly American out of PHL because they have so many flights if ours were to get canceled.

I’ve never flown Spirit, but have flown Frontier a couple of times without issue.

Maybe check out Spirit and Frontier arrivals and departures for a few days to see if they mostly take off on time, etc.

I would book whichever has a bigger presence at your airport. More likely to have another option if things go badly.

I've flown Spirit quite a bit and never had more than a few hours delay, which happens with all airlines.

I would walk all the way to Florida before flying Frontier!

After a 4 hour delay of sitting at the gate, flight was cancelled citing mechanical issues.
Options were to fly three days later (on a 5 day Disney trip) or get a refund.
BUT they would not refund the return ticket because that had not yet been cancelled!

We got burned by Spirit years ago and will never fly them again.
We had a group of 16 flying our of MSP. 2 months before our flight, they cancelled the flight. Said, here's your money back, good luck finding a flight. They were of NO help rebooking. We have had this happen with other airlines and instead of refunding the money, they got us booked on another airline.

I would pick Frontier over Spirit, but they are both bad options in my opinion. I would rather fly one of the big 5, it's usually not that much more by the time you pick a seat, have a carryon and check a bag. I looked and flying Spirit from my home airport to Sanford is $25 more than Southwest once you include those things.

I would pick Frontier over Spirit, but they are both bad options in my opinion. I would rather fly one of the big 5, it's usually not that much more by the time you pick a seat, have a carryon and check a bag. I looked and flying Spirit from my home airport to Sanford is $25 more than Southwest once you include those things.
The opposite side of your, VALID, point.... An educated flyer who doesn’t care where he sits and needs minimal luggage can save $$$. I'll start a thread when I return home. AP Tron preview.

It might depend on your airport. I’ve heard better experiences with Spirit at my airport than Frontier, but from reading the other responses it clearly varies.

The opposite side of your, VALID, point.... An educated flyer who doesn’t care where he sits and needs minimal luggage can save $$$. I'll start a thread when I return home. AP Tron preview.
Absolutely true. I've considered it for a weekend trip with the wife where we could pack in a backpack each, and had no real important plans. Once the kids are a little bigger we'll probably try again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter