Chipotle

Why can't people say this word correctly? Even on the Food Network some people say it wrong. :laughing:

It's pronounced chi-pote-lay :thumbsup2

Not chi-polty
Or chi-pole-tay :rolleyes:

This is my PSA for today.

The spice is not pronounced the same as the restaurant so you might have been hearing the correct pronunciation on The Food Network.

The spice is not pronounced the same as the restaurant so you might have been hearing the correct pronunciation on The Food Network.

chipotle
- 2 dictionary results
chi·pot·le
   [chi-poht-ley; Sp. chee-pawt-le] Show IPA
–noun, plural -les  [-leyz; Sp. -les] Show IPA. Mexican Cookery .
a pungent red pepper, often pickled and eaten as an appetizer or added to meat stews, sauces, etc.

I don't care for the restaurant or the spice so I guess I should pronunce it chip-not-for me.

I should note I was influenced by my high school Spanish teacher, a native of Mexico City who warned us that the only spicy food in Mexico is at restaurants trying to cover up less than fresh ingredients.

chipotle
- 2 dictionary results
chi·pot·le
   [chi-poht-ley; Sp. chee-pawt-le] Show IPA
–noun, plural -les  [-leyz; Sp. -les] Show IPA. Mexican Cookery .
a pungent red pepper, often pickled and eaten as an appetizer or added to meat stews, sauces, etc.

But remember, English is a living language, so all those incorrect pronunciations will be in the dictionary as correct in the next 5 years.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Actually it's holl-ah-pehn-yo. :teacher:

;)
Thanks teach. ;)

I wasn't referring to the restaurant, some people just ran with that. ;) Technically it's a smoked jalapeno.

:laughing:

I call it Hollerin'-pain-yo :laughing: because I fear the burn.
Thats what I was thinking when I tried to spell it phonetically. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter