China June 28 - July 10, 2009

2GirlsMama

Happy Wife and Mom
This is my first time posting. We just booked the China trip beginning June 28, 2009. This will be our third trip to China, but our first ABD trip. I am hoping to connect with other travelers.

Hi 2GirlsMama, my DD18 and I will be on the trip just prior to yours. Our trip is from June 14-26. We are very excited! If you search the threads you will find a couple of trip reports from families that went last summer.

Hi Briar Rose!
I might have some good news for you, we tried to book the June 14 trip, and our travel agent said there was no availability for our family of four, so your trip must be either full, or mostly full. Our girls are excited about the pandas and the Mulan type of stick fighting.

We have been to China twice, but never to Guilin, Chengdu or Shanghai. My DH said he is so excited about the trip and constantly reading about China that he fears "postpardum depression" after our trip. It is a frequent topic of discussion at our house!

Thank you for your response. After all the discussion of cancellations, I am glad it sounds like your trip is a GO!! :cool1:

We are looking forward to the pandas too. This will be our first trip to China. I had promised my DD a trip to TDL and HKDL for her graduation. I was not comfortable touring China on our own, so when we found the tour ABD offered it seemed perfect for us. I looked into other tour companies, but the ABD itinerary fit us the best, plus the dates worked out great. She graduates on June 5 and we have to be back for a wedding on June 27. We are going to TDL for 5 days prior to our China tour.

Right now I am studying DLP because we are going there for 1 DAY next month with my DD's French class. I don't know how we are going to do all the things I want to do there in 1 day!

I have purchased tour guides for China and TDL so I will be studying those as soon as our trip to Paris is over. I'll probably take them and begin marking pages on the way back from the March trip.

I guess since you have been before, you know what immunizations to get. I talked with my doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said an updated tetanus and Hep B series should be all I need. My DD is up-to-date on both of those.

I am taking a computer with me on the trip and hope to do reports while we are in Japan and China. I'll let you know if I'm able to do it.

We haven't been in China since July of 2002, but one thing I remember is how completely tired I was, and how completely HARD the beds were. I read some of the trip reviews, but didn't see any mention of the really hard beds. Can someone who has recently been to China comment?

It could be that we weren't staying in first class hotels, but I remember almost crying when we went to bed because I was so uncomfortable. I really enjoy a comfortable bed.:cloud9:

I hope you have a fantastic time in Paris! I got to go on a trip with my high school class (MANY years ago) and it was fantastic.

I hope you and your daughter share a great trip! I can't wait to read anything you post from China. We got to go to Japan a few years ago, but we only sat on the run way! ENJOY!

We went to China last summer--great time to be there, with the last minute prep for the Olympics etc. Our guides (Dusty and Daisy) were absolutely great and everyday went out of their way to accommodate everyone. (Our trip was changed due to the earthquakes--more time in Bejing). Every hotel was very western in accommodations--beds soft, bathrooms etc. When we would venture out, the guides would alert us to western bathrooms to use (instead of the norm--essentially holes in the floor), and would advise re food and water. This is why we keep coming back--everything has been reviewed, tested--traveling with the Disney touch is very comfortable, and while it seems pricey is actually a pretty good deal when you look at what it provided (top hotels, most meal, two guides, lots of extras and surprises--and local guides for all of the major sites, with head of line privileges etc). Have a great time!!!

Thanks, We love ABD!
I have been dreading those really hard beds since we booked the trip! We keep looking at panda videos on "Youtube". I am so excited about being so close to them. The first trip to China the panda exibit at the Zoo was closed. The second trip I only got to see the panda's hind end! (And I was still excited about that!) Funny when you return home from China people aren't that interested in seeing photos of a panda's rear end....:rotfl:

My DD and I watched a Samantha Brown special last Sunday on China. There were 4 episodes I think and one was on Chengdu. Samantha went to visit the pandas and for an extra price you get to go behind the scenes and actually hold one of the bears! I hope we have this option.

Briar Rose,
We decided to learn a little Chinese before our trip. I just got a book called Chinese in 10 Minutes A Day. It is a workbook and a CD. It is fun because it has stickers to label things and sheets for us to complete. Our oldest daughter is interested, but our younger daughter could care less! I thought you and your daughter might want to check it out.

I am really getting excited about the trip!

That sounds like a great idea! I wish we had the time, but we wouldn't even be able to start until about a week before the trip. My DD is a senior in high school and very involved. Between exams, competitions, and trips (we leave for Paris, London and Edinburgh tomorrow with her French class), we just won't be able to fit it in. I am learning a few key phrases and we already have a card with the sentence "I am allergic to fish." printed in several languages.

I can't believe how quickly the time is going by! It will be June before I know it!

I hope you enjoy your trip to Europe! But even more, I hope you enjoy spending time with your daughter and her friends. This is a special time in her life. It says a lot that she wants to share it with you! Have a fantastic time!

We are back and what a wonderful trip! We brought sunshine everywhere we went! The day at DLP was fabulous. We knew we were limited on what we could do so we hit the big rides. I can't wait to go back again. We are discussing May of 2010 because both of my girls will be in college and they will be out my mid-May.

I had planned on reading up on China on my way back from the trip, but I was just too tired! Our final trip payment has been made and I decided to purchase trip insurance since this is such a huge expense. I chose a different insurance company, one that I had used before. I was pleased with the way they handled my claim so decided to go back with them.

I am going to go get our visas in person the first part of April. How are you handling getting yours?

I am so glad you had a great trip! Spending quality time with your daughter is the best way to spend vacation.

We are going to use the service recommended by ABD for our visas. We are paid in full, too! I hope that means our trips are a go. I haven't heard anyone saying their vacation was cancelled.

Three months....HOORAY!!

Hey you guys - so I'm confused. I thought someone on the dis was with us on the July 12-24 china trip?????

great info on the visa service - if you did go to get them in houston - can one person pick up everyones?? the service sounds like a really good idea.

any plans for our "time on our own"?

so glad you enjoyed DLP.

Hi Lisa, I don't remember anyone else being on the July trip. Everyone who posts seems to be on a different date.

I looked at a service here in Dallas that will get the Visas for us, but it was going to cost $90 per Visa in addition to the regular Visa fees. Since my DD21 lives in College Station, I decided to go down to her place and spend the night. I will get up early and be at the Chinese Consulate when they open which I believe is 9am. If we can get our applications in early in the day, I can pay a small expedite fee and they will be ready in the early afternoon of the same day. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully everything will work out. Yes, I can pick them up for both me and my daughter. The paperwork just has to be in order.

I haven't planned our "on our own" time yet. I seem to have too many trips scheduled between now and then! I am headed out to Corpus Christi with the high school band and then Reno with my bowling team, both trips are in April. We would definitely like to visit the barbecue place in Beijing owned by the Texan. The restaurant was featured during the Olympics. I need to try to find out the exact location. I think our guides can probably direct us to some interesting stuff also. I have a book on China. I need to sit down and read it!

We are still planning on visiting TDL. We are booked at the Mira Costa. I have been working a little on TDL since we want to see everything and make sure we eat at all of the restaurants we want to try. I think I can call 60 days out to make the ressies. I haven't been able to get back to trip planning since our return from Europe last week. It has taken me a week to catch up on household stuff!

I think I will give the visa task to my mother!
Once I decided to finally do the trip, i bought the China Eyewitness travel guide - it's more on the sites and history and not so much on hotels and restaurants.
Am about to call DVC - want to use points for TDL - availability will be the decision maker on whether we add it on or not. spent most of the day yesterday looking at flights - actually not as bad as i thought.
my plan at this point is getting to Beijing a day before, staying in Hongkong that last day - then to Tokyo for 3 days and then home.
Sounds like you have a ton of fun planned this month!

We went to China last June with ABD--and it was great! (Dusty and Daisy were the guides). Because of the earthquake, and because we also flew in early, we had a nice long stay in Bejing--pre-Olympics, so the place was abuzz! We found the air quality to be so-so (not as bad as we feared--we even brought masks), but reminded me of LA on a bad day. We used the subways a couple of times--English has been added, so it was pretty easy to get around--but the taxi cabs are very inexpensive. Just have your guides or hotel write where you want to go on a hotel card so there won't be any misunderstandings. If you are at the same hotel in Bejing (Penninsula), you are a short walk to the night market, to a subway station and to a very large and nice indoor shopping mall (very swank--and you walk down a large outdoor shopping mall to get there). Not a lot of peddlers on the street (at least, pre-Olympics)--but the shop-keepers are very persisitent; as are people wanting to take your photo if you have blonde hair--but they are nice about it. As for water--Disney gives you lots of bottled water, and we got extra from them to use to brush our teeth etc. Bottled water served in restaurants, too--and the guides will let you know of any food items to watch out for (there was, for example, a chicken scare while we were there, so we avoided it). I like traveling with Disney as it provides a comfort zone--still plenty of adventure, but reliable guides too! Have a great time! (Oh--and the guides do their best to locate western toilets--never pass one up!)

Thanks We Love ABD! I think I remember the mall you are describing from our last trip. There was a musical instrument store and our guide was trying to get DH to buy a GONG!:eek: Just what we need at our house, two kids, two dogs and a GONG!

I remember the same thing about the blonde hair. I am really looking forward to going with ABD and having details handled for me so I can just enjoy my family and the other people on the trip.

The other vivid detail I remember is how many people there were and how they get much closer into personal space than Americans tend to stand. If you remember anything else about the trip, I sure would love to hear about it. I really appreciate you taking the time to share. I love to think about our trip.

I have been considering riding the Metro while we are in Beijing. It seems like it is an easy and quick way to get from one place to another. There are a couple of sights we would like to go see on our free time. Have any of those that have been to Beijing ridden the subway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter