• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chili? Love it? Hate it? Beans or no beans?

So the norm is if it is not labeled to include an ingredient... Explain.? ;)
What's to explain? Chili is straight chili. Chili is chili with beans. That's why commercial makers and restaurants make a point on labeling it that way. As this post shows, some people don't expect beans in chili unless it is noted.

I like it with or without beans. Call it what you like.

I only eat homemade, not canned. I didn’t grow up eating it, but learned to make it and vary the recipe depending on what I feel like and/or what ingredients I have on hand. It’s seasonal for me too, as I typically only make it in colder weather.

We make homemade chili and love it. I prefer no beans. My husband is usually the cook so he will make it and once it gets to a certain point, he puts some chili in another pot and adds beans.
Fixings are a must. Sharp cheddar, jalapenos, sour cream, avocado (in season), diced onions, sometimes lettuce, and tomatoes - that's all I can think of right now.

What's to explain? Chili is straight chili. Chili is chili with beans. That's why commercial makers and restaurants make a point on labeling it that way. As this post shows, some people don't expect beans in chili unless it is noted.
So you wouldn't expect meat unless it is noted con carne.?

So you wouldn't expect meat unless it is noted con carne.?
I would expect meat in chili and I would expect the meat to be mentioned in the description. But that really has more to do with all the food allergies/ diet restrictions people have not with it being chili..

I would expect meat in chili and I would expect the meat to be mentioned in the description. But that really has more to do with all the food allergies/ diet restrictions people have not with it being chili..
Because you think more people are allergic to meat than beans??

I live in the Frozen Tundra of the Midwest so Chili is like a warm hug.
I do confess I make it year round, however.

I don't make it really well as it seems to taste different every time I make it but DH & I still love it and always freeze leftovers (which taste even better).
Definitely Kidney Beans and sometimes other kinds of beans, ground beef, spices, onions, cheese, definitely. With Garlic Bread.

When growing up, we wouldn't think of eating chili without macaroni but now, later in life, we like Chili by itself.

Because you think more people are allergic to meat than beans??
Nope. But beans are high in potassium and phosphorus so the 37 million Americans with Kidney Disease may look to avoid beans for health reasons.

Love chili and prefer it without beans and please no chunks of tomatoes...blech!

The real debate if I recall is do you serve it with a peanut butter sandwich on the side? I had never heard of such a thing until the great PB sandwich with chili debate here on the DIS.
YES - NO chunks of tomatoes. I am ok with stewed, but like diced tomatoes or the like? Gag.

I did not grow up with Pb sandwiches with chili (always buttered saltines), but after hearing about it, I tried it and...YUM! I love dipping it in.

That said, for years prior to that, I was eating toast with pb with eggs with ketchup on them on top...so, tomato + PB was already a fave of mine.

Nope. But beans are high in potassium and phosphorus so the 37 million Americans with Kidney Disease may look to avoid beans for health reasons.
We can definitely agree on that...

I wonder why some bother to inform people about adding meat to their chili.?

Prefer no beans, but can do beans.

CANNOT do cheese on top, although I absolutely love cheese.
It just seems to kill the flavor of the chili. Takes away the spice.
I DO like chopped raw onions on top…

our chili recipe with 1 1/2 lb of meat calls for 1/6 cup of chili powder plus a tablespoon mixed in at the end and 1/6 cup of fresh brewed espresso, that sucker can't be tamed by merely cheese lol.
OMG, i have to try this next time... Have you tried different styles, or different ways, like cold brew, or even just grounds steeped in a cheesecloth or anything?

Last edited:
OMG, i have to try this next time... Have you tried different styles, or different ways, like cold brew, or even just steeped in a cheesecloth or anything?
We used to use a normal coffee brewer then switched to a k-cup with a reusable pod so we could still use our own coffee. Then several years ago we switched to a pour over. Then last year switched to an actual espresso machine. It's more pronounced with the espresso machine.

In the early days we'd use regular but a bold dark roast coffee pre-ground, then we switched several years back to an actual espresso blend, freshly ground with the pour over, then last year switched more finely but still freshly ground and still espresso blend for the espresso machine. It's also more pronounced this way.

My husband did the chili last year for his work's chili contest and aside from the chili powder taking people off guard (who were expecting just some and more jalapenos and our recipe doesn't have jalapenos) the espresso was the stand out "whoa was not expecting that" ingredient. Some liked it some didn't but we've had this at least 9 years now (that's at least when I printed the recipe) and it's the only chili that I really really enjoy. Espresso (or just really strong coffee) isn't an ingredient I've found people use at all in their chili recipes. I wouldn't say it overpowers or anything but it's an added flavor that catches ya off guard the first time, and at least for us has really grown on us.

I like Chili when the weather is cold - I think I've had it with beans and without so makes no difference to me; but it must be served with cornbread.

We can definitely agree on that...

I wonder why some bother to inform people about adding meat to their chili.?
Well, it may be good marketing......"loaded with beef" might spark a few sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter