• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Childcare for disabled over 12 year old daughter?

JonJ

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We have used the on-site childcare at WDW for our special needs (mentally retarded) daughter in the past. But, last April we were told that they could no longer accept her because of her age (she's well over 12, but looks much younger than her age). She functions at the 4 to 6 year old range and is an "easy sit" with no behavioral problems. She had enjoyed her stays before and plays very well with younger children. Does anyone have any suggestions for evening childcare as my wife and I would like to do some activities alone (like a nice meal out)?
Thank you.
Jon

I have never had the need, but have read a lot (especially on RADP) about a sitting service called Fairy Godmothers. Their telephone is (407) 969-9847 and toll free 877-611-4314. Apparantly they are able to handle special needs children.

My understanding is that all of their people are at least in their 40's, bonded, and well experienced. They will come to your room and bring toys and/or games with them suitable for the child (or children).

If you give them permission to take the child to a park, they will be sure to send someone who has an AP for themselves. I am not sure of the rules if you ask them to take the child to a meal. You are responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses while they are taking care of your child.

I understand that people can ask for a specific sitter by name, especially if the child and that sitter have gotten along well.

From everything I have read over several years about them I understand they are very reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another nod ::yes:: for Fairy Godmothers.
We have not used them (always have had enough hands with us), but I have read the same sorts of good things that Cheshire Figment posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter