Child turned 10 on trip - ticket ?

becalubob

DIS Veteran
My son turned 10 today. We spent the day at MK.. Had no issues this morning... We left to swim and came back at supper... cast member asked his age, I said today was his tenth birthday...(hes very tall fir his age), she said hes showing as a child, I explained yes, we arrived yesterday when he was 9, and when I bought my package, the cm also knew this info... She said I needed to go to guest services and "straighten this out"... I thought that if a child turns 10 during the stay, they still are a disney aged child for the remainder of the trip... Am I wrong? Should I take his birth certificate with tomorrow? Do I need to upgrade him to an adult? Tomorrows our last day at the parks...this would be a real bummer if I need to waste time tomorrow dinking around with this. TIA

You won't find anyone here who disagrees with you. The CM who spoke to you was not properly informed. Sorry you had to hear wrong info. I know it's frustrating. If your child starts his WDW trip as a child age 9, and turns 10 during the trip, Disney considers him as a child age 9 for the length of your trip. You can purchase an adult ticket for him next visit to WDW.

My son turned 10 today. We spent the day at MK.. Had no issues this morning... We left to swim and came back at supper... cast member asked his age, I said today was his tenth birthday...(hes very tall fir his age), she said hes showing as a child, I explained yes, we arrived yesterday when he was 9, and when I bought my package, the cm also knew this info... She said I needed to go to guest services and "straighten this out"... I thought that if a child turns 10 during the stay, they still are a disney aged child for the remainder of the trip... Am I wrong? Should I take his birth certificate with tomorrow? Do I need to upgrade him to an adult? Tomorrows our last day at the parks...this would be a real bummer if I need to waste time tomorrow dinking around with this. TIA

There is no need to worry about this. The CM (as far as you explained, anyway) was not exactly wrong in her opinion.

You and the child absolutely CAN go to Guest Relations (or any ticket booth) and get the 10 yr old an "adult" ticket.
It will be at NO CHARGE. No birth certificate necessary.

However, there is no NEED to do this. It is just something that CAN be done.

This is a process that NEEDS to be done in the case of a (former) child
who is now much visibly older returning to WDW with a partially-used non-expiring ticket
A trip to Guest Relations for a free exchange for an adult ticket is in order.

He must be very tall then because my5'3" 11.5yr old enters every week on a child's AP. No one ever asks her age nor do they stop her from entering with it. My 10yr old DS also enters on a child's AP.
It is what was issued to them at the ticket counter. Their ages are linked correctly in the system and show properly in MDE as well. For whatever reason the system has no issue with the age conflict. Now the AP prices are the same across the board so it doesnt save any money but the CM should not have stopped you all.
And it is unlikely to happen again.

Good to know.
Disney is pretty clear when you are booking your packages asking the age of the child at the BEGINNING of the trip. It is a pretty clean (and customer friendly) policy.

I am going in August and my son will turn 3 while we are there (I purposely planned it that way to take advantage of him being free one last trip).

I am assuming I won't get any hassle either .. especially since the difference between not needing a ticket and needing a ticket is significant.

Good to know.
Disney is pretty clear when you are booking your packages asking the age of the child at the BEGINNING of the trip. It is a pretty clean (and customer friendly) policy.

I am going in August and my son will turn 3 while we are there (I purposely planned it that way to take advantage of him being free one last trip).

I am assuming I won't get any hassle either .. especially since the difference between not needing a ticket and needing a ticket is significant.

We do the same thing, going down just before one of the kids hit 3. We were absolutely planning on skipping this year but our youngest is turning 3 at the end of the year so it gave us an excuse to go in Nov.

He must be very tall then because my5'3" 11.5yr old enters every week on a child's AP. No one ever asks her age nor do they stop her from entering with it. My 10yr old DS also enters on a child's AP.

Probably because the know there's no real such thing as a child AP anymore. Same price = same thing.

I, personally, would go to Guest Relations and get it sorted, because I know my son would feel more comfortable with it.

Disney does not penalize children for growing older. If you have a partially used child's ticket, and the child is now 10 or older, you may exchange the child's ticket for an adult ticket with the same remaining entitlements and no charge.

The child for which this is being done must be present at the ticket window when this is being done. The age difference must be reasonable! For example, if the child appears to still be a pre-teen, and the ticket is two or more years old they should be no problem. However, if the child appears to be 16 and the ticket is only a year old this will not be done.

This applies whether the ticket is MYW or pre-MYW.

However, if the ticket has never been used, the ticket may only be upgraded to a ticket with at least the same entitlements and the guest must pay the difference.

This may be done at any park (including water parks or TTC) Ticket Booth or Guest Relations Office

For more information, follow the link in my signature to Post #9.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter