Child pulled into water by alligator near Grand Floridian

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWIMMING
Swimming_Slovenia_Lake_1b.jpg

WADING

wadingpool21.jpg

I would not get in the water with either warning, but there is a pretty obvious difference. It's worth noting that people have been wading in those waters for decades and there has been no issue like this AFAIK.

With a sign saying no swimming why would anyone think wading would be just fine??? IT means don't get in the water.

Who puts a 2-year old in a man-made lake in Florida?! What moron does that??

I'll use myself as an example, I'm very smart, I never considered this as a threat.

15 years ago, Caribbean Beach Resort, we're bored with the pool, it's late in the day, a few yards away there is a white sandy beach, my wife and I are in a hammock, we've got our 2 year old with us, just lounging after a long day in the sun. We're on the swings, we're on the slides, he's in a bathing suit, we're playing with a pail and shovel they gave us from a kids meal, he's running around, he's excited. He goes down to the water, he's splashing right at the shore line, he's in no less than 1" of water, I'm standing there with him, I'm not giving it a second thought.

Why? First, I'm not from Florida. Second, there are no signs with big pictures of alligators on them. Third, I'm at Disney World. So they must be protecting us because we're not from this region, there are no signs with big pictures of alligators on them, and we're at Disney World, the last place on Earth we should feel threatened.

Alligator threats are common sense if you live in the South. It's not something we run into in the Northeast. If there is a legitimate threat of being attacked by a wild animal lurking in the water, there shouldn't be an inviting beach with a playground on it. At a family resort. Designed for children. By imagineers.

Last edited:
Signs are only there to try and remove liability. A gator doesn't see a sign about gators in the lake and suddenly decide he doesn't want to eat that kid on the shore.
Hopefully they are also there to encourage correct (human) behavior.

Swimming: The sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs.
Limbs: Arms and/or legs.
Propelling: Drive, push, or cause to move in a particular direction, typically forward.

So, swimming is the activity of moving oneself through water using your legs. Sounds like wading is a kind of swimming.

Hopefully they are also there to encourage correct (human) behavior.

Correct behavior meaning never going on a beach or near a body of water ever? Again it is possible (although lower probability) to be attacked by a gator not in the water.

Swimming: The sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs.
Limbs: Arms and/or legs.
Propelling: Drive, push, or cause to move in a particular direction, typically forward.

So, swimming is the activity of moving oneself through water using your legs. Sounds like wading is a kind of swimming.
no-swimming-no-wading-firstsign.jpg

There are many signs that indicate both no swimming or wading. There is a reason why.

These posts are all very interesting and enlightening into how people think about the water areas surrounding Disney property.

I grew up in Miami. I'm well aware of gators, no matter how small, or big, being able to kill in an instant.

My sister and I have always been horrified at the parents and kids who are near the water's edge or actually in the water, even with the signs.

Our horror comes from the fact that, and we have stated this many times to each other, it is only a matter of time until a gator gets a child. We just mentioned this in April, as we witnessed parents and children in the water. We told a cast member about this when we witnessed it. I don't know if she mentioned anything to the guests.

I say all of this for a reason: I assume most of the people ignoring the warnings are not from the South and have zero experience with gator habitats, nor would they. My sisters and I are thinking one way about the sign and most guests are thinking another.

Yes, I know that "no swimming" or "stay out of the water" means just that. But the amount of FEAR tied to that warning is very different for tourists than it is for me. I can understand why many would get close to the waters edge or wade in it.

I will bet money that there will be fencing of some sort now erected near all beach areas.

I don't see how Disney will not have to resort to this.

Having grown up in Miami for a bit, I agree totally with you. A perimeter will have to be set up, of some kind. An alligator sign would take away the family environment perhaps, but it MIGHT, I say MIGHT have saved a life. I am sure this will never happen again ANYWHERE on ANY Disney property.

I don't have a picture, but it's a sign of a swimmer in a circle with a line through it, and above that it says "No Swimming".

Exactly.

Which means don't go into the water so deep you have to float upon it and, you know, SWIM. If you are 10 and you can't swim, you wade in the water up to your waist. If you are 2 and don't even know what water is you are in up to your ankles, 4 inches at most.

There are 3 degrees of submersion here, let's differentiate:

1. No Swimming.
2. No Wading.
3. Don't Go Near Spot Where The Water Hits The Sand Because There Are Alligators Here.

Disney's signage is clearly designed to prevent drowning when that isn't the real threat. The signs are all going to be changed, just you watch. Should have been done years ago, but nah, let's wait for a national tragedy instead of making people aware of the real danger.

Last edited:
Correct behavior meaning never going on a beach or near a body of water ever? Again it is possible (although lower probability) to be attacked by a gator not in the water.
I will be interesting to see what Disney decides to do.

Reports are that Walt Disney World has closed all of its resort beaches "out of an abundance of caution." As others have said, I suspect we'll see changes in the beach areas as a result of this.

Where was the "abundance of caution" prior to this horrible incident?!! Disney is always reactive rather than proactive when it might cost them a lot of $$$$$ to deal with a problem. They knew there were alligators in Bay Lake but have not posted warning signs about the risk; nor do they sweep the lakes on a regular basis (only after guests complain of a sighting).

0615-no-swimming-gators-sign-disney-hyatt-graham-regency-6.jpg

This was an accident because Disney took a soft approach on warning the public on the risks involved. Had they used a sign like the one above, this never happens.

"No Swimming" could mean dozens of things like no lifeguard available, we don't want you disturbing a habitat, water isn't fresh. If there is a massive danger like a man-killing gator that's the real issue, then tell people. A 2 year old leaves a playground, walks 10 yards to dip his toes, parents aren't worried, why? Because the signage didn't warn people of the danger.
I don't think the "why" is necessary.
Plus it's not a "massive" danger. Using your example I would bet more kids drown (no life guard) than get taken by aligators.

MG

I'll use myself as an example, I'm very smart, I never considered this as a threat.

15 years ago, Caribbean Beach Resort, we're bored with the pool, it's late in the day, a few yards away there is a white sandy beach, my wife and I are in a hammock, we've got our 2 year old with us, just lounging after a long day in the sun. We're on the swings, we're on the slides, he's in a bathing suit, we're playing with a pail and shovel they gave us from a kids meal, he's running around, he's excited. He goes down to the water, he's splashing right at the shore line, he's in no less than 1" of water, I'm standing there with him, I'm not giving it a second thought.

Why? First, I'm not from Florida. Second, there are no signs with big pictures of f----ng alligators on them. Third, I'm at Disney World. So they must be protecting us because we're not from this region, there are no signs with big pictures of f----ng alligators on them, and we're at Disney World, the last place on Earth we should feel threatened.

Alligator threats are common sense if you live in the South. It's not something we run into in the Northeast. If there is a legitimate threat of being attacked by a wild animal lurking in the water, there shouldn't be an inviting beach with a playground on it. At a family resort. Designed for children. By imagineers.

And these folks, are from a very beautiful, far away place from Florida called Nebraska. They don't know from Alligators. :-0

He who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Let's all admit, we've made mistakes as parents. The vast majority of the time, no harm. You breath a sigh of relief and thank the heavens that nothing bad happened. You got lucky.
This poor family made a mistake, one they will have to live with for the rest of their lives. This is horrific on so many levels!
Our instant reaction is to immediately find fault in what the parents did. A coping mechanism that makes us feel better...."this would never happen to me because I know better, or I wouldn't have done that."

Take an honest look at yourself and realize we all are capable of a momentary lapse in judgement. A child died a horrific death and his family has to live with this forever.
My heart bleeds for them.

Humans are capable of many emotions- let compassion be your first and most abundant.

Amen to this!! I think everyone that is posting anywhere on the internet should ONLY show compassion for this family. Not only have they lost a child but it looks like they will not even have his remains to bury.

Human beings need to get back to being human again. Not one of us is perfect and all of us need each other to lean on when times are tough.

No one has to be in the water to be attacked. Even if they were sitting on the water's edge the gator could have run up and snatched that baby. There are reports all the time of gators showing up on golf courses and people's houses -- several yards from any water! PPs who have pointed their fingers at the parents for "wading" in the water and saying they should have known better -- really? I would NEVER expect a gator on a beach between two Disney resorts to attack my child. It just is not something I would have envisioned -- Florida or not! Shame on all of you for dissing the parents.

privatebeach.jpg

Exactly. Take the swimming out of it for a minute.

Based on what I've just learned about alligators- fast as a horse, can jump 7' vertical, lie in wait at the shoreline- *** is Disney thinking? Forget the signs. Why are they inviting families to lounge and play with their children on beaches to begin with?

Had they used a sign like the one above, this never happens.

That is a bold statement don't you think?
There are plenty and I mean PLENTY of explicit signs on WDW property that people never, ever pay attention to through pure ignorance all the way to blatant disregard . Adding more signage for people to ignore is not the answer.

My two cents: just heard that disney is closing all beaches, at least temporarily. It's a very sad situation and part of me says the parents let it get out of control. Then I thought .... Disney can post signs but there is no barrier between people and the potential danger. That would be ugly. But you can't rely on millions of people to be totally smart and safe. As much as people enjoy the beaches, I think it's inviting trouble and after all, aren't beaches associated with water and swimming. I won't be surprised to see physical changes. If they don't have it already, I'd assign a cm to every beach ASAP.

Why? First, I'm not from Florida. Second, there are no signs with big pictures of f----ng alligators on them. Third, I'm at Disney World. So they must be protecting us because we're not from this region, there are no signs with big pictures of f----ng alligators on them, and we're at Disney World, the last place on Earth we should feel threatened.

Going on vacation never means packing all your stuff but leaving your brain at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter