chicken drumsticks - kid food?

disykat

This person totally gets me
I forgot how much I liked them! I think this is the first time I've thought to buy them since my boys left home. I used to buy them often, especially if the boys had friends coming over. Cheap, easy, and always popular. We marinated them in italian salad dressing and grilled them tonight. Do you buy packages of drumsticks?

So, this is a two part question. It kind of got me thinking about childhood favorites and foods that are, according to articles I keep seeing online, no longer popular. I still love sloppy joes, tuna casserole, chili dogs, etc. I've certainly added "newer" recipes to the mix, but I still love some of my childhood favorites. and consider them comfort foods. What childhood favorites do you still enjoy?

I’d rather have Kraft Macaroni & cheese than ANY other version I’ve ever tried. I usually don’t even take a helping of any other version. I just made a box last night that someone gave me in a gift basket. I hadn’t had it in over 30 years. I don’t think it’s as orange as it used to be in the ‘80s.

I also love chili dogs, corn dogs and Campbell’s Cream of Tomato soup.

I always have drumsticks in the freezer. I love them. Whether grilling, frying or bbq, they are always my go to. Dh will only eat breasts so now we have packs of boneless breasts and drumsticks.

Like you, I still make sloppy Joe’s, box Mac and cheese, chili dogs, etc. most are easy and still good.

I forgot how much I liked them! I think this is the first time I've thought to buy them since my boys left home. I used to buy them often, especially if the boys had friends coming over. Cheap, easy, and always popular. We marinated them in italian salad dressing and grilled them tonight. Do you buy packages of drumsticks?

So, this is a two part question. It kind of got me thinking about childhood favorites and foods that are, according to articles I keep seeing online, no longer popular. I still love sloppy joes, tuna casserole, chili dogs, etc. I've certainly added "newer" recipes to the mix, but I still love some of my childhood favorites. and consider them comfort foods. What childhood favorites do you still enjoy?
Ha, I’ll fight my kids for the drumsticks. :rotfl: I do buy packages of drumsticks because they’re mine and the kids favorite. DH prefers white meat so I usually make them when he’s on night shift. I don’t eat anything on the list you gave because I wasn’t a fan as a kid either. DH on the other hand makes those kind of things at work on night shift.

I’d rather have Kraft Macaroni & cheese than ANY other version I’ve ever tried. I usually don’t even take a helping of any other version. I just made a box last night that someone gave me in a gift basket. I hadn’t had it in over 30 years. I don’t think it’s as orange as it used to be in the ‘80s.

The changed Kraft Mac & Cheese. The closest I have found is Smith’s (Kroger) brand. My dad used to say, “If you have 50 cents, you can feed Wendy.” Lived on it as a kid.

My mom cooked pretty much all of our food from scratch growing up (she now doesn't cook at all) so I was never used to typical packaged kid food. I can still remember the first time I had canned soup and grilled cheese made with American cheese at a friend's house, it made me really appreciate all the effort my mom put in. I hardly eat any of the foods from my childhood, even the home cooked versions, my tastes have changed a lot over the years.

I did love drumsticks though, she used to do ours with BBQ sauce and they were so good! I haven't had them in forever but I may grab some from the store next time I am out. I do have a fast food guilty pleasure from my childhood that I am not sure is even real food, but I still love it!

I still like boxed mac and cheese too - but also love homemade!

My kids always loved "tuna burgers" and I still make them for DH and I sometimes. DH loves fish sticks, which I loved as a kid. I'm not a fan but will buy the Costco kind.

I made a jello salad a few years ago on Easter that had lime jello, pears, cream cheese, and cool whip. I called it "retro salad" and my young adult children loved it. They thought it was hilarious that "jello salad" was a thing. It was something I had all the time as a kid, but didn't make for them while they were growing up. (Jello was for jigglers for kids of the 90's!)

None of my kids would ever eat chicken on the bone, so the legs were always mine. They have gotten better about the bones as they have gotten older.

We had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight so comfort food is alive and well at our house.

gillep, one of my friend's had grilled cheese at my house and talked about it for years! She'd never had sliced american cheese before and thought it was WONDERFUL.

Reminds me of a story a friend told me years ago - she knew her vegetarian boyfriend really loved her when she took him to meet her parents and he ate a spam and velveeta sandwich on white bread her mother served him without blinking an eye!

Drumsticks can be deboned. We get them cheap, debone them, and cook them in chunks just like one might slice breast meat. Of they could simply be served Asian style serving it cut across the bone.

What about the feet? I remember a coworker of mine talking about visiting Taiwan on business. Apparently a local kid had a chicken feet coming out of his mouth, but was staring at some white guy.

steamed-chicken-feet-header-new.jpg

Grilled cheese sandwich
Cream of Tomato Soup (Campbell's)
Kraft Mac & Cheese
Chili dogs
Chicken tenders
PB & J sandwich

My grandma's vegetable soup with noodles. It was my all time favorite meal growing up, even requested it for my 16th birthday dinner. I'm so glad I was able to figure out the recipe.

It just occurred to me that I have both peanut butter and strawberry jam in the house. I don't think I've had a PB&J sandwich in YEARS! Talk about a standard! I may have to have a snack later.

I've never eaten chicken legs; the tendons gross me out. :crazy2: I didn't ever cook them or serve them to my DS as a child and for the same reason he never got a taste for things like hot dogs and PB&J and frozen fish sticks. I'm not sure what he would say about his childhood food memories. :scratchin He certainly ate his share of grilled cheese, Kraft Dinner and sugary-crap cereals. He still loves all of those.

It just occurred to me that I have both peanut butter and strawberry jam in the house. I don't think I've had a PB&J sandwich in YEARS! Talk about a standard! I may have to have a snack later.
I guess I never thought of PB&J as kid food. I eat a PB&J as least once a week. Sometimes I get on a roll and eat them everyday. My kids on the other hand don’t eat them very often.

They color it with turmeric and paprika now instead of yellow and blue dye #40 or whatever. :)

I think the easier question for me would be what childhood food do I NOT like anymore. And the answer to that would be...Chef Boyardee, LOL.

Everything else I ate as a kid I still like and will still eat.

They color it with turmeric and paprika now instead of yellow and blue dye #40 or whatever. :)

I think the easier question for me would be what childhood food do I NOT like anymore. And the answer to that would be...Chef Boyardee, LOL.

Everything else I ate as a kid I still like and will still eat.
I forgot about that one! My DH and DS both like it a lot - both of them will regularly pick it up when they buy groceries.

I guess I never thought of PB&J as kid food. I eat a PB&J as least once a week. Sometimes I get on a roll and eat them everyday. My kids on the other hand don’t eat them very often.

I don't necessarily think of it as kid food, just not something I have eaten in years. I got out of the habit. We were peanut free for 20 years and now that I have peanut butter again, I rarely have strawberry jam because it's too tempting to keep in the house! PBJ is something I definitely had almost daily as a child (and still had almost daily until 31 when my oldest was diagnosed as allergic) and my kids never had.

No to the chicken drumsticks. I always thought they were disgusting. Probably haven't had one in over 45 years. Same for thighs. And I only partially ate one chicken wing in my entire life.

I still like kiddie foods such as PB&J, fish sticks, and mac & cheese. (Not Kraft boxed, but frozen Stouffer's)

No to the chicken drumsticks. I always thought they were disgusting. Probably haven't had one in over 45 years. Same for thighs. And I only partially ate one chicken wing in my entire life.

I still like kiddie foods such as PB&J, fish sticks, and mac & cheese. (Not Kraft boxed, but frozen Stouffer's)
:snooty: Why does this not surprise me? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter