• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago help needed please

lovemygoofy

DIS Veteran
I need some guidance on a hotel choice in Chicago. It's only for one night and barely half a day in all.

My sister in law will be driving us from her home in IN to Chicago. We are flying out at 0'dark thirty next Saturday from Midway. I was trying to decide if I should just book the hotel that seems to be in hotel circle near the airport or somewhere else like downtown.

If I booked the hotel near the airport, is there an easy way to reach downtown Chicago? I've never seen Chicago and would like to see something of the city. Do you have a specific area to see if it's only for the late afternoon/evening? Suggestions for good places to dine? It doesn't have to be fancy by any means. After a week with my inlaws I'll be so happy to be away that I'd eat in a shack.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

The Orange line will run you to downtown from Midway. I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of the hotels surrounding Midway. If it were me, I'd stay downtown and take the Orange line to the airport when its time to leave.

The Orange line will run you to downtown from Midway. I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of the hotels surrounding Midway. If it were me, I'd stay downtown and take the Orange line to the airport when its time to leave.

Is there any particular reason why you don't like the hotels around the airport? Scary area?

I'm sure the orange line doesn't run at 5am or so on Saturday morning. How long would you estimate the travel time between downtown and the airport? I don't mind getting a cab but I would need to give plenty of time to get there and through security.

The hotel complex south of Midway is perfectly fine. They are all chain hotels and probably considerably less expensive than getting a room downtown. However, you will have a much nicer perspective of the city if you stay downtown. A cab ride from the city to Midway at 5am on a Saturday morning should take more or less half an hour.

Check the CTA website. The first train on the orange line runs at 4:30 Saturday mornings.

Stay downtown, you won't be sorry you did. My personal favorite Chicago hotel is Embassy Suites at State & Ohio Streets, just off the redline. You can transfer to the redline from the orange at several stations. Hampton Inn on Illinois is very near the Embassy & quite good also.

Check into getting a visitor's CTA pass while you're there. You can use it unlimited for your visit for the L and the CTA buses. IMO well worth your money.

I agree. There may be chain hotels there, but I wouldn't let a relative stay in that area. I vote for downtown.

The Orange line starts running at 4:30am on Sat. If you're traveling aloneat that hour, take a cab.

Midway is in a rough neighborhood; I wouldn't want to park a personal vehicle at one of the hotels there, but I think that for an overnight if you're taking the shuttle, it's acceptable. Any of the Hilton or Marriott properties should be fine; they have interior hallways and dedicated shuttles -- but do make sure the shuttle will be available to take you over early enough.

If you want to spring for staying downtown for the experience (near the holidays, a very nice experience, though usually cold as all get out), I'd stay in the Loop area for the best quick getaway in the morning. Staying on the Mile (N. Michigan Ave.) is generally considered better for leisure travellers, but it would add some time to your morning trip.

As for the Orange line, the schedule varies by DOTW; weekdays the first train from the Loop to MDW runs at 4:20 am, Saturdays 4:50, and Sun/Holidays 5:50. The ride takes about 25 minutes, then it is about a 10-15 min. brisk walk from the station through the parking garage and up to security. IME driving from the Loop takes considerably longer, but I can't answer for what traffic on the Dan Ryan/Stevenson is like at 5 am on Saturday. (I prefer not to take the Orange line alone in the wee hours say, before 6 am or after 11 pm; I like for there to be a certain population density on the train.)

Is there any particular reason why you don't like the hotels around the airport? Scary area?

I'm sure the orange line doesn't run at 5am or so on Saturday morning. How long would you estimate the travel time between downtown and the airport? I don't mind getting a cab but I would need to give plenty of time to get there and through security.

Not scary, just dingy. You are less that 10 miles from dowtown, why stay in a residential area, when you have CHICAGO just steps away.

If you are staying near a Red line hotel, I wouldn't take a Red train to an Orange one. I would take a cab to a "transfer station", then jump on Orange. A cab won't cost you more than $30. So if buying yourself an hour's sleep is worth $30, I say go for it. I know it is for me :)

There's a couple Marriott Courtyards downtown at a fair price, along with the Fairfield Inns too.

Downtown isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to be crazy expensive if you know where to look :)

Tina, I agree about staying downtown. There is nothing worthwhile to see in the Midway area.

Just an FYI--check hotwire.com, especially as the time gets closer. I've gotten incredible deals from them. Also, the Fairmont has had a special going on with room rates slashed about 80% on certain days.

If you do use hotwire, look in the Michigan Ave./River North/Watertower Place areas and check off 3 1/2 star hotels and up. You can get some great places really cheap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter