Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

I'm afraid Houston just isn't going to beat the yankees. Baseball will be over for me this year if the Cubs don't take the Dodgers in 7.

Dodgers v yankees
:crazy2:

Last edited:
I am still calling that tonight is a W. The combo of them not wanting to get swept and Jakes probable last game may just create a little extra something ~something. However, just want to point out that losing this series is simply the first stage of the '18 W.S. run. Just like we did after the Met's sweep. The guys aren't robots but they ARE insanely talented who are still playing after 1/3 of their normal break and a boatload of team injuries. Off the top of my head here's who went down at one point or another this year:
Hendo
JHey(2x's)
KB
Javy
Addie
Lackey
Lester
Willy
Jake

and flat out trade of Miggy
(add in a devastating hurricane to the mix )

and we are technically STILL alive! If we don't advance and these guys get their normal rest? With hopeful pitching and bullpen improvements? Gonna be a LOT of W flag flying going on!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
d718e58e974d57710457002fecc3b4a6--go-cubs-go-cubs-win.jpg

ETA: as someone who is NOT a Bears fan, I also blame the Bears. They decided to go ahead and win a game..that threw off the balance of the Chicago mojo

Last edited:
Here’s a pretty good article from SB nation. I think it sums up the bleakness pretty well but with some reason.

The Cubs are a loss away from remembering how hard it is to win - SB Nation

https://apple.news/AE4oTv2bmS6mP_FrLNenHbg

Boston 2004 aside, only 2 other teams have ever made it 2-4 and the vast majority lose immediately after 0-3.

Having gotten that gloom out of the way, I do really hope we win one or two for the intangible importance that it can have for the next years to come when we face teams in the postseason.

Also, to me, this IS a successful season. That doesn’t mean stop fighting, but we have to keep in perspective what we have achieved. 9 of 10 playoff teams are eventually disappointed: 7 of 8 LDS and 3 of 4 LCS teams are eventually disappointed. Not to mention: almost no one gets here again the year after winning the WS!

Theo was so disillusioned with how Boston had changed after 2004 and 2007, he had to get out. The fan base and ownership couldn’t get behind “bridge year” plans that could put out a stronger product than a playoff team alone. He couldn’t take it. Not that that’s the same thing here... yet. But I’m hoping we don’t become that.

There is a fine line between hopeful expectations and demand-without-forgiveness.

Even in all these losses we’ve had some defensive gems and some sparks that get extinguished. 3 leads in 3 games. 8 hits yesterday. A lot of negatives to be sure but don’t flush it all away.

One game at a time. If I didn’t have to work tonight and early tomorrow, I would have loved to go tonight to support them (I went last night and might try to squeeze in Thursday, if we are alive). I’m looking at a 5 year plan here and 1 to 2 more strong WS runs.

Last edited:

Does anyone want to go to tonight's game? I (foolishly) bought tickets for friends without asking them in advance and no one wants to go. I dithered too long going down my list and now the tickets are worthless thanks to last night's loss. I am currently set to lose a crapload of money on these tickets and it annoys me. Does anyone want to go tonight? I'll cut you a deal :). Aisle 202, Row 27, Seats 7 & 8.

Does anyone want to go to tonight's game? I (foolishly) bought tickets for friends without asking them in advance and no one wants to go. I dithered too long going down my list and now the tickets are worthless thanks to last night's loss. I am currently set to lose a crapload of money on these tickets and it annoys me. Does anyone want to go tonight? I'll cut you a deal :). Aisle 202, Row 27, Seats 7 & 8.
I will ask around Robin.sending pm

I wish I could share your optimism (I was sure they would win last night with Hendricks on the mound and playing at home), but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
If I'm wrong so be it...and I wish I could take advantage of Robins tix because even if the Dodger's win , I would sit through it and wait for the Cubs to take the field one last time this season and cheer them on and thank them profusely with utmost sincerity, grateful that they have pushed the memories of hoping like heck JUST to be a .500 team at season's end. Then? I return home and start my countdown to Spring Training.

I've had my W flag out without bringing it in since the Cubs won the Central Division. Last Sat morning a neighbor stopped by to ask what the flag meant. (We've only been here two and a half month and haven't met too many neighbors yet - lots of rental houses around us or vacant lots). Turns out she is a Red Sox fan from NH (part time resident in FL) and understood. So out it stays until the end. Then I bring it out again next season.

Oh, and I hate these 9PM games.

I've had my W flag out without bringing it in since the Cubs won the Central Division. Last Sat morning a neighbor stopped by to ask what the flag meant. (We've only been here two and a half month and haven't met too many neighbors yet - lots of rental houses around us or vacant lots). Turns out she is a Red Sox fan from NH (part time resident in FL) and understood. So out it stays until the end. Then I bring it out again next season.

Oh, and I hate these 9PM games.
Exactly the same at my house.

If I'm wrong so be it...and I wish I could take advantage of Robins tix because even if the Dodger's win , I would sit through it and wait for the Cubs to take the field one last time this season and cheer them on and thank them profusely with utmost sincerity, grateful that they have pushed the memories of hoping like heck JUST to be a .500 team at season's end. Then? I return home and start my countdown to Spring Training.

“if” they are way out of it in one of the next 2 games I hope they are given a prolonged standing ovation in the middle of the 9th... before LA celebrates.

TONIGHT'S WINNING LINEUP!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAJ IN LO! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

btw~Jake has won both potential elimination postseason games he's started: '15 NL Wild Card Game & '16 World Series Game 6~AND Cubs have won all elimination games in '16 and '17 so far

GO GET 'EM JAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

LETS GO CUBBIES!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I BELIEVE!!!!

DMcidaVWkAM900P.jpg:large

Last edited:
I just read that The Cubs have played more games and pitched more innings than any other team in baseball since the start of 2015. I think the booer's and naysayers can take a flying you know what. They can't even cheer for 3 hours let alone do what this team has done for 2 years.

Last edited:
I just read that The Cubs have played more games and pitched more innings than any other team in baseball since the start of 2015. I think the booer's and naysayers can take a flying you know what. They can't even cheer for 3 hours let alone do what this team has done for 2 years.
Regardless of whether we win or lose, they're still my team. We didn't have as good of a season as last year, but I'm still proud to bleed Cubbie blue.

If we don't win, we come back stronger next year and I hope those that aren't happy unless we win will be happier next year. If we do win, then I'll be happy to keep flying the
W and expect to fly it more often next year. Again, given all the sucky years true fans have had to deal with, anything over 50 is a good year. ;)

“if” they are way out of it in one of the next 2 games I hope they are given a prolonged standing ovation in the middle of the 9th... before LA celebrates.

For what exactly, 2016? Cubs have already been giving plenty of Standing O's for last season. Overall, this season was pretty disappointing from start to finish. Thank God Dusty Baker exists.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter