Chefs de France - seeing a lot of negative comments

djs7685

Mouseketeer
Hi all

I've been seeing a lot of overwhelmingly negative experiences at Chefs de France lately. Has something changed? I've been excited to try this out for the first time in a couple of weeks but now I'm hesitant. I'm typically not one to make my decisions based on a few internet reviews, but everything I've been seeing about Chefs de France has been negative.

Can some of you who have dined there recently give me some details on what went wrong? What was still good? Is it just certain dishes are no longer available or dishes using worse food quality? Is the service worse than years past?

I appreciate any info I can get, we were really looking forward to this one but I'm not so sure now..

I was there in the beginning of May, so while not recent recent, it was my first time dining at Chefs and I was super pleased by my whole meal. I don’t recall doing the prix-fixe, I think we just ordered off menu, but the steak was cooked really well and our waiter was French and fun to talk with.

We dined there in early October and had a nice lunch. I really like that there's both a prix fixe option if you want three courses and a glass of wine (and I think it's a pretty good deal-- at least in Disney!) as well as the ability to order a la carte. I did the latter, having champagne, the onion soup, and the lardon salad (and plenty of the fresh baguette). My friends each did the prix fixe ... I think they enjoyed the soup (but later in the trip declared Steakhouse 71's superior), liked the boeuf bourguignon, thought the chicken in the chef's salad was dry, and loved the chocolate dessert. We had a nice table in the side "sun room" (to the right as you enter) and had fun watching people walk past. Service was good. I can't say it was the best meal of the trip but it was solid and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Hi all

I've been seeing a lot of overwhelmingly negative experiences at Chefs de France lately. Has something changed? I've been excited to try this out for the first time in a couple of weeks but now I'm hesitant. I'm typically not one to make my decisions based on a few internet reviews, but everything I've been seeing about Chefs de France has been negative.

Can some of you who have dined there recently give me some details on what went wrong? What was still good? Is it just certain dishes are no longer available or dishes using worse food quality? Is the service worse than years past?

I appreciate any info I can get, we were really looking forward to this one but I'm not so sure now..
🤷🏾‍♂️
Ive always had a good meal there but what are they saying that’s negative?
Enquiring minds want to know.

I've eaten there a number of times throughout the years, the latest being April 2021, I was on a solo trip. The food has always been o.k. but in the before times (my way of saying pre-Covid) the service was not the best. The menu is currently pretty limited but still have the old favorites like French Onion Soup. I ordered ala carte because I didn't want a dessert, although I did have an app and entre and glass of wine. The service was good (not the best but the best at WDW is rare) the food was decent. It's a solid choice and I don't hesitate to eat there if I can't find something else I'd rather have. I don't make ADRs in advance and usually don't have any trouble finding a spot there.

We have always liked Chefs & still do. We last ate there 5 weeks ago. Still find the food to be very good. I miss their lobster bisque which has been missing since they reopened. I thought it was the best I’ve had at WDW. But the steak & beef are very good. My DH really enjoys the onion soup. We’ve never had bad service. But we are pretty easy to please. Take our orders, keep my DH‘s coke refilled & bring the check in a timely manner. We don’t need anyone fawning over us, advise on the menu or too much chit chat. It’s still on our must do list.

Tried the restaurants for the first time this past May 2021. Service and food was excellent. Was just 2 of us. My mom and myself for dinner. We shared an appy and ordered our own entree's. The only thing bad - was way too much food. We should have shared the entree's . We rolled out of the restaurant. Stuffed so much we did not order desert.

I too had read many negative reviews. Mostly about the service. But we had a wonderful meal because of our server. Both of us got the Beef Bourguigon. Nice and tender. Huge portions.

The food has always been good. The French Onion Soup is great. Great bread service. The beef, is actually just like my wife makes it.

The service is what is hit or miss. In June 2021, still no college kids, so instead oh Henry from Paris, we had Vitto from Brooklyn as our server. And it was awesome. He would actually talk to us and had a personality. When it came time for desert, we had already ordered the pre-fixe and we just got buzzed for a Rise return that expired when the park closed in 25 mins. Vitto boxed up our deserts and we ate them on the skyliner back to the studios.

So to answer the OP...food is good to great.....service can be ok to great. But it has been consistent for many many years.

We have dinner at Chefs every trip we love it but have not been in a few years. We are actually doing a lunch next month because we wanted Space220 for dinner and could not get it on our first Epcot day but were able to score it for our second. Over the years we find there are restaurants we like that have gotten some negative reviews and places people rave about that were just ok so I would try it and make up your own mind.

We ate at Chefs a few years ago and were not impressed - I found the food to be overly salty. Fast forward to June 2021 and, as I was looking for a day-of dinner reservation, Chefs popped up and, since we were staying at YC and it would be super convenient, I decided to give it a try - it was great. Service was fantastic and the food was far better than we had experienced previously. I wouldn't hesitate to eat there.

We've been dining at Chefs 3x/yr. for many years, but when we were there in July the food was lacking. The menu is very limited. The duck has flown the coop. The poultry selection is a salad which was not well made. Staffing seems to be a problem at the moment due to Covid. The servers were not French. Our server, borrowed from a resort bartending assignment, was fine though. I don't know if the cooks were French either. The only good thing for me that remains is the bread. I will not schedule a visit there in the near future.

We dined there in April. The food was good as was the service. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to complain about. Sadly, the duck (my favorite dish there) is no more. We have many other places we enjoy dining instead, so won't be going back for a while.

My negative take on Chefs - the poor menu has been SO gutted, it's barely a shadow of it's former wonderful-ness. Not even the chicken and green beans that seemed to be a staple of every menu.
I'm hoping the menu gets a re-work before my next visit. It was one of the very few places to have lunch with one of Donald's family :rolleyes1

Dined there last week. Seated on time. Of the restaurants we dined at, it seemed kind of stuffy…they pack in the tables…loud and crowded. Waiter was a little pushy to get our order and push us out. We got salad, cheese plate, braised beef, tenderloin, 2x Ratatouille, creme brulee and 2 glasses of wine. Salad, cheese plate, brulee and wine was fine. Braised beef, tenderloin not served hot. Plating looks nothing special. Ratatouille is actually quinoa on ratatouille sauce…menu says otherwise….this was super disappionting. This is compared to Via Napoli, Cali Grill, Brown Derby, Bluezoo and Morimoto.

We only ate there in 2019, our 1st time, and were so looking forward to returning. But my DS#2 really wants their mac & cheese! And it's not currently on the menu! We loved the onion soup last time and my salmon was succulent. But we need the mac & cheese to return ...

Love Chefs! Nothing negative about it. I’d definitely try it if you’ve never been, then decide for yourself. My last time was Dec 2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter