Chefs de France disaster. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxurious_Lumiere

Mouseketeer
I recently returned from my WDW trip, and while it was an altogether wonderful experience, the final park day was needlessly frustrating thanks to a terrible experience at Chefs de France.

My boyfriend and I had a delicious meal there on a previous trip and wanted to take the larger party traveling with us this year to the restaurant as our EPCOT dinner. I was the designated planner this trip, and I arranged a 7:30pm dinner reservation so we could get out in time for Illuminations while still having plenty of time to explore World Showcase prior to eating.

We decided to check in early to see if we could get seated as soon as possible. So I went up to the hostess around 7:15pm to see if sitting down early was possible. She marked me as "there" but told us to come back at 7:30 as nothing was ready yet. No worries, just wanted to check. We sat in France and returned to check in at 7:30pm on the dot. She once again told us no tables were ready. So we waited in the front area...FOREVER. After 10 minutes went by I asked her what the wait time would be. She didn't remember my name or party from the two previous and recent interactions so I had to remind her. "No table" she says curtly. 25 minutes past our reservation time and I went up to her to ask for the table and her reply was "sorry. we will try our best." Huh? She got a manager at that point who came out to apologize...to a different party. He just walked into the vestibule and started talking (about my reservation, using my name) to the first person he saw. I spoke up and said actually that's me you're referring to, but instead of coming over to me, he started walking away. Another member of my party realized my aggravation and went over to him to say that we were the party who had been waiting. At this point I am ready to leave and grab quick service somewhere because Illuminations is fast approaching. And I know this will be my last time to catch said fireworks show, which has been one of my favorite aspects of every Disney trip.

As we were getting ready to call it quits, FINALLY we are taken to our table and sit down at 7:58pm. 28 minutes after our reservation time, despite checking in early, on time, and then repeatedly. And encountering rude or incompetent front of house staff.

Luckily our server was friendly and a welcome change of pace. But that pace apparently didn't apply to the kitchen. We knew we were on a time crunch for fireworks, so we ordered drinks and our entire meal right when he first came over (pre-fixe option). The soups arrived relatively quickly but then we sat and waited and waited until 8:40pm when the entrees arrived. So for a 7:30pm reservation, we didnt get our meals until 8:40pm. Fireworks in 20 minutes, we are forced to gobble down our food at light speed (the opposite of what you want when one sets out to enjoy a nice sit down meal) and order our desserts to go. We raced out and watched the fireworks right as the torches were snuffed out and the music started playing.

Does anyone else have experience like this at Chefs de France? And where on earth is the Disney customer service? I have worked in the restaurant world, and currently work in customer service. I know what its like to be in the weeds. Things happen. But there is no reason for the short rude replies from the hostess. The manager could have actually taken 1 second to make sure he talked to the right patron, rather than offering an empty standard apology to the wrong person. They could have offered to get us water while we waited or arranged for us to order cocktails in the waiting area. There are many ways to make a bad situation better. All I can say is that they are lucky they have good food. I wont be dining there again and will certainly stop recommending it to friends.

Maybe I sound whiny. But Disney World forces us to plan our trips down to the minute, many months ahead of time. I'm a planner, I enjoy the planning aspect and how it gets us excited for the vacation. But Disney has to uphold their end of the bargain if that is the system they want to have in place. We always end our trip with Illuminations in EPCOT. It holds many special memories for us too long and detailed to detail here. And all we wanted was one last special memory. Instead I got hunger and stress and rude behavior. Luckily I was surrounded by people I love and the fireworks were still special. Dinner definitely wasn't.

IMO, you were pushing it with a 7:30 reservation if you wanted to watch Illuminations. Also, ADRs are not reservations, they are just priority for the next table that WILL FIT YOUR PARTY after that time. So, you will still usually have a wait. I don't think the wait was super unreasonable at that time of night for a large party, but maybe 10 minutes longer than I usually wait at Disney after I check in for an ADR (15-20 minutes waits are average).

As to the rudeness...I mean, they are French, it's part of the theme. :) In seriousness, though, the rudeness is not okay and I'm sorry you experienced that. I have had that kind of experience at many restaurants, at Disney and outside Disney as well. Remember, though, that the restaurants in WS are not usually "Disney" owned and operated. For sure, Chefs de France is not Disney.

I recently returned from my WDW trip, and while it was an altogether wonderful experience, the final park day was needlessly frustrating thanks to a terrible experience at Chefs de France.

My boyfriend and I had a delicious meal there on a previous trip and wanted to take the larger party traveling with us this year to the restaurant as our EPCOT dinner. I was the designated planner this trip, and I arranged a 7:30pm dinner reservation so we could get out in time for Illuminations while still having plenty of time to explore World Showcase prior to eating.

We decided to check in early to see if we could get seated as soon as possible. So I went up to the hostess around 7:15pm to see if sitting down early was possible. She marked me as "there" but told us to come back at 7:30 as nothing was ready yet. No worries, just wanted to check. We sat in France and returned to check in at 7:30pm on the dot. She once again told us no tables were ready. So we waited in the front area...FOREVER. After 10 minutes went by I asked her what the wait time would be. She didn't remember my name or party from the two previous and recent interactions so I had to remind her. "No table" she says curtly. 25 minutes past our reservation time and I went up to her to ask for the table and her reply was "sorry. we will try our best." Huh? She got a manager at that point who came out to apologize...to a different party. He just walked into the vestibule and started talking (about my reservation, using my name) to the first person he saw. I spoke up and said actually that's me you're referring to, but instead of coming over to me, he started walking away. Another member of my party realized my aggravation and went over to him to say that we were the party who had been waiting. At this point I am ready to leave and grab quick service somewhere because Illuminations is fast approaching. And I know this will be my last time to catch said fireworks show, which has been one of my favorite aspects of every Disney trip.

As we were getting ready to call it quits, FINALLY we are taken to our table and sit down at 7:58pm. 28 minutes after our reservation time, despite checking in early, on time, and then repeatedly. And encountering rude or incompetent front of house staff.

Luckily our server was friendly and a welcome change of pace. But that pace apparently didn't apply to the kitchen. We knew we were on a time crunch for fireworks, so we ordered drinks and our entire meal right when he first came over (pre-fixe option). The soups arrived relatively quickly but then we sat and waited and waited until 8:40pm when the entrees arrived. So for a 7:30pm reservation, we didnt get our meals until 8:40pm. Fireworks in 20 minutes, we are forced to gobble down our food at light speed (the opposite of what you want when one sets out to enjoy a nice sit down meal) and order our desserts to go. We raced out and watched the fireworks right as the torches were snuffed out and the music started playing.

Does anyone else have experience like this at Chefs de France? And where on earth is the Disney customer service? I have worked in the restaurant world, and currently work in customer service. I know what its like to be in the weeds. Things happen. But there is no reason for the short rude replies from the hostess. The manager could have actually taken 1 second to make sure he talked to the right patron, rather than offering an empty standard apology to the wrong person. They could have offered to get us water while we waited or arranged for us to order cocktails in the waiting area. There are many ways to make a bad situation better. All I can say is that they are lucky they have good food. I wont be dining there again and will certainly stop recommending it to friends.

Maybe I sound whiny. But Disney World forces us to plan our trips down to the minute, many months ahead of time. I'm a planner, I enjoy the planning aspect and how it gets us excited for the vacation. But Disney has to uphold their end of the bargain if that is the system they want to have in place. We always end our trip with Illuminations in EPCOT. It holds many special memories for us too long and detailed to detail here. And all we wanted was one last special memory. Instead I got hunger and stress and rude behavior. Luckily I was surrounded by people I love and the fireworks were still special. Dinner definitely wasn't.
I learned the hard way at Crystal Palace and now give myself at least 2 hours prior to the evening show for an ADR. Last time we were at Chefs de France I actually felt like the meal was too rushed, but it was an early dinner reservation so I guess they wanted to set the pace for the day. Sorry you had bad experiences with the staff, hopefully the hostess was just new or something.

You were dealing with a French restaurant... they aren't going to rush dinner, it's not in their nature.

"we are forced to gobble down our food"...Uh NO! You decided to do this. No one stood there and screamed at you "EAT FASTER" (that's a specialty at LeCellier.

If you want a rushed meal I'd suggest LeCellier, where they are considering cattle prods to move you along faster.

And you seem to have totally unrealistic expectations for ANY Epcot restaurant. I know of none of them were they do what you expected with cocktails etc.

But since the food was good and the service was as expected this review won't make me cancel my reservation next week.

I'm truly sorry for your experience - there is never an excuse for rudeness. BUT I think you were very aggressive with your timing and expectations. A good rule of thumb when making a table service ADR is to allow 2 hours for your meal. Add a 1/2 hour for delayed seating - as DLGal pointed out above an ADR is not a reservation for an actual 'in your seat' time, but a reservation for the next available table at that time. Sometimes a table is ready right away, often there is a wait. 28 minutes is not unreasonable. I would especially time my reservation with that 2.5 hr gap when you have entertainment on your schedule or somewhere where you absolutely need to be at a particular time. And 'NO' - you were not 'forced' to gobble your food and take your desserts - that was *your* decision.

This is not really a disaster, in my opinion. Sure, it stinks to be taken almost half an hour late for your reservation, but that is prime time for dinner and it's not unheard of. Should it have happened? No. But it's not egregious, in my view. Also, to sit down at 8pm, order, and have two courses by 8:40 seems perfectly reasonable and what you would expect at a table service restaurant pretty much anywhere. I also think scheduling an ADR at 7:30 when you're hoping to be out in time to scope out a spot and not miss any of Illuminations is cutting it too close. I'm happy you had a great time otherwise.

IMO, you were pushing it with a 7:30 reservation if you wanted to watch Illuminations. Also, ADRs are not reservations, they are just priority for the next table that WILL FIT YOUR PARTY after that time. So, you will still usually have a wait. I don't think the wait was super unreasonable at that time of night for a large party, but maybe 10 minutes longer than I usually wait at Disney after I check in for an ADR (15-20 minutes waits are average).

As to the rudeness...I mean, they are French, it's part of the theme. :) In seriousness, though, the rudeness is not okay and I'm sorry you experienced that. I have had that kind of experience at many restaurants, at Disney and outside Disney as well. Remember, though, that the restaurants in WS are not usually "Disney" owned and operated. For sure, Chefs de France is not Disney.
Confused on Advance Dining Reservation not being a reservation lol?

Disney's reservations aren't actually reservations - they don't hold a table or work to ensure that a specific table is clear for you by your reservation time. It's as DLgal explained, it's like getting on the list for the next available table at that time. That being said we have almost always been sat within 10 minutes of our ADR. I think the system works quite well considering the tens of thousands of people who are accommodated via it per day.

I don’t want to pile on, OP, but yea, I agree with the others. This certainly doesn’t meet my criteria for a disaster either & IMO is a result of unreal expectations on your part. First, how many in your “larger party”? That makes a difference in your wait time. All restaurants have a limited number of tables available for large parties. If the parties seated there take longer than expected, your wait will be longer. Or if the restaurant has to wait for parties to leave & put tables together for you. Takes longer to seat you.

And as was noted, 7:30 is prime dining time. And checking in early does not count as an extra wait time either. We are usually only a party of 2 & we check in early at most places, we are still told we will be seated around our ADR time. We have waited 20 minutes or so many times but also seated on time many times. Just never know.. and also, I agree that an ADR only 90 minutes before Illuminations was really cutting it too close.

As for the hostess, maybe you had to be there. I think culturally, Europeans are a little more brusk & not as warm & fuzzy as we are used to. Doesn’t mean they are necessarily rude, just not programmed to sweet talk & be apologetic as you might expect. I also personally would not be offended that the hostess didn’t remember me from before. She would have interacted with who knows how many people in between..... she certainly can’t be expected to remember every patron who comes to the podium.

Glad you got to see the fireworks one last time anyway.

Last edited:
All Disney table service are slow in my opinion, well anywhere you eat that is good and you order alcohol, soups, main meal, and desserts is going to take at least 90 minutes for a larger group . We went as a party of two and got seated right away but it took 90 minutes to eat. We loved it and would go back. I always plan 2 hours for any meals just to be safe.

Its unfortunate you had to rush eating in order to watch illuminations...but at least you made it in time. :) And i guess you can take this as a learning experience.....always allow 2 hours before any night time show.

Speaking only for me, the only EP ADR I'd schedule at or after 7:30 is one where I was hoping to still be seated for viewing Illuminations, or didn't care about seeing Illuminations that night. Late actual seating times can happen at virtually any TS restaurant, especially busy ones like Chefs de France. Sorry you had trouble.

Last edited:
I agree with others that the delay in seating was not egregious considering the time of night it was and the size of the party.

However, I somewhat disagree that Disney's ADRs are not true reservations. They most certainly are because they will charge you if you cancel. That seems like more of a reservation to me than an actual reservation. But no reservation anywhere is a guarantee of a time.

I'm really sorry for your experience, it doesn't sound like a good one and it does sound frustrating. I know I've had meals like this that left me feeling this way too <ahem, Tony's. NEVER again>. I've just kind of learned to accept though from my many trips to Disney that ADR's are more like guidelines or suggestions, at least from Disney's side. G-d help you if YOU are late but them... I've had to wait up to 60 minutes PAST my actual ADR time to be seated and then be delighted by super slow, terrible service at some places. That's not the normal though, the normal I'd say is to be seated within 10-15 minutes of the ADR but yes, there are exceptions especially the later the time for the ADR. If a place takes me back at my actual reservation time I'm surprised and happy, it's like pixie dust to me now. I am sorry you did not get the experience you wanted, you expected to be seated at the time you reserved and that shouldn't be unusual. I guess this is a lesson to others about what might happen.

Sorry for your frustrations. I think we've all had frustrating Disney dining experiences from time to time and sometimes, it is helpful just to vent! I've never dined at Chefs; it always looks hectic. Never appealed to me. But I will say that in the future, save yourself the stress and book reservations far in advance (at least 2 hours) of any evening shows you want to be able to attend. Glad you got to see Illuminations one last time.

Sorry for the bad experience. Ours has only been good there.
As mentioned, and ADR is not an absolute time. You don't say how large your party was, but large parties can be a problem for restaurants. They may only have a few tables that will hold a large party. If the group ahead of you chooses to sit there for a long time after they are done eating, there is nothing the restaurant can do. I have been in this situation before waiting for a group to leave, they paid their bill 30 minutes ago.
Even if you had been seated on time, I think you would have been pushing it to get to Illuminations.
Hope the next trip is smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter