• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chef Mickey vs Mickey’s Backyard BBQ

LandonDunes

Mouseketeer
Heading to WDW in Oct. We get in on a Saturday for our first night and we’re going to hang around the Poly but wanted to finish the night with the Headless Horseman Event at Fort Wilderness. Originally, we were going to do Mickey’s BBQ for dinner but then I looked at the price...yikes!

Then I looked at doing Chef Mickey and heading over from CR. It seems to get mediocre reviews and then found out it’s only a little less $. For a family of 5 with 3 kids under 12, what would you guys do? Thanks.

um... neither?

Seriously, you could do so much better for food and characters. Any restaurant at the Poly, GF or Contemporary (besides Chef Mickey's) has better food.

um... neither?

Seriously, you could do so much better for food and characters. Any restaurant at the Poly, GF or Contemporary (besides Chef Mickey's) has better food.

I get that but we were looking to do a character dinner, especially one with Mickey, since it’s our first night...and one where we can leave and get to Ft Wilderness somewhat easily. We’ll do Ohana later in the week. I should have mentioned that.

Also, I thought MBBBQ got good reviews, no? Maybe we will just do Trail’s End at FW.

I get that but we were looking to do a character dinner, especially one with Mickey, since it’s our first night...and one where we can leave and get to Ft Wilderness somewhat easily. We’ll do Ohana later in the week. I should have mentioned that.

Also, I thought MBBBQ got good reviews, no? Maybe we will just do Trail’s End at FW.

Ok. In that case ... if it's Mickey in the MK area ... There's more variety of so-so food at Chef Mickeys, and it will be more comfortable in case of weather or other issues. I do agree that the character interaction and the show at MBYBBQ is pretty good, but the food is pretty mediocre and it's an open air pavilion so if there's wind or rain, it won't be as much fun. Also - you have 3 kids under 12, but how old are they? When we brought our then-4yo she really enjoyed it. I think it's better for the under 8 set, and YMMV with tweens, depending on whether they play along or not.

So - if your kids are mostly under 8 and weather unpredictability won't bother you, then I'd go with the BBQ. If your kids are older and you'd prefer to have an actual seat and let the characters come to you, and would like more of a variety of food, then I'd pick Chef Mickey's.

What you want is the Trail’s End buffet. Much cheaper than Chef Mickey or the BBQ, which my family hated. The show itself is very juvenile (even for Disney) and the food stinks for the money, which is hot dogs and hamburgers.

We have went to Mickey's Backyard BBQ two years in a row - the grandkids (13,11,3) begged to go back 2nd year. Typical BBQ food but everyone liked it. All you can eat Mickey Ice Cream Bars! The guys loved the unlimited draft beer. The 3 year old was scared of characters (except princesses) but loves music and dancing. Priceless - pictures of her dancing with Minnie!!!

You asked for opinions and even though you are leaning away from it . .I'd steer you back towards the BBQ. It is "picnic fare" of hamburgers, ribs, coleslaw, etc but it's good for what it is. Softdrink refills are plentiful and unlimited access to ice cream treats. There is plenty of room to move around and it's the dancing and having fun part without being on top of all the other guests. There is a man who does rope tricks and it's amazing to watch, they have all the kids sit on the ground so they have a good view. Both my boys (current age 6 &7) are always wanting to be cowboys after the event. I love that it's low key for the parents while the kids actually get to be loud and active. We have gone 4 times with them and it's the one thing they ask for each time.

Chef Mickey's I have been 3 times over the last 10 years. I have always been unlucky with how long it takes us to be seated. Even with ADRs we have to wait 20-40 minutes so I'm already irritated by the time we sit down. Then it's a struggle to get the food and not miss the characters. It's a lot of kid energy and there is a moment when everyone waves their napkins around and gets kind of crazy. I always leave that place stressed out and promising not do it again. I have tried it once for each meal and found it similar in those regards for each. But, I love Mickey and sometimes it's just what works best in our plans.

If you don't care about missing out on characters, Trail's End is the best value on property! Love it, and especially if you are wanting to see the headless horseman anyway it makes lots of sense!

You asked for opinions and even though you are leaning away from it . .I'd steer you back towards the BBQ. It is "picnic fare" of hamburgers, ribs, coleslaw, etc but it's good for what it is. Softdrink refills are plentiful and unlimited access to ice cream treats. There is plenty of room to move around and it's the dancing and having fun part without being on top of all the other guests. There is a man who does rope tricks and it's amazing to watch, they have all the kids sit on the ground so they have a good view. Both my boys (current age 6 &7) are always wanting to be cowboys after the event. I love that it's low key for the parents while the kids actually get to be loud and active. We have gone 4 times with them and it's the one thing they ask for each time.

Chef Mickey's I have been 3 times over the last 10 years. I have always been unlucky with how long it takes us to be seated. Even with ADRs we have to wait 20-40 minutes so I'm already irritated by the time we sit down. Then it's a struggle to get the food and not miss the characters. It's a lot of kid energy and there is a moment when everyone waves their napkins around and gets kind of crazy. I always leave that place stressed out and promising not do it again. I have tried it once for each meal and found it similar in those regards for each. But, I love Mickey and sometimes it's just what works best in our plans.

If you don't care about missing out on characters, Trail's End is the best value on property! Love it, and especially if you are wanting to see the headless horseman anyway it makes lots of sense!

Thanks for your thoughts. I get what your saying about the BBQ. Just not sure if I want to spend $300+ to do it whenI don’t really think I’m getting anywhere near that in value. I have time but my 180 will be on me before I know it.

Did BBQ once, never went back and never will. Our experience was food was awful and even though the kids can dance with the characters, it was more like a free for all. The characters don't come table side to take photos, so parents try to get their kids as close to the characters on the dance floor, not caring who they push out of the way. They get their pictures and push their way to the next. The food was bad, but what do you expect? When you cook burgers for your guests at home they come off the grill hot and fresh. At an event with hundreds of people they are piled in a steam bin. Sorry, I don't like condensation on my food.

We love CM for breakfast. Never done dinner there, but a picky friend goes for dinner every trip. Love Trails End. It's become one of our regular stops. Enjoy!

Did BBQ once, never went back and never will. Our experience was food was awful and even though the kids can dance with the characters, it was more like a free for all. The characters don't come table side to take photos, so parents try to get their kids as close to the characters on the dance floor, not caring who they push out of the way. They get their pictures and push their way to the next. The food was bad, but what do you expect? When you cook burgers for your guests at home they come off the grill hot and fresh. At an event with hundreds of people they are piled in a steam bin. Sorry, I don't like condensation on my food.

We love CM for breakfast. Never done dinner there, but a picky friend goes for dinner every trip. Love Trails End. It's become one of our regular stops. Enjoy!

Like hearing all the endorsements for Trail’s end.

We did BBQ when kids were young and had no desire to ever go back whereas Chef Mickey's became a staple because of the characters (and I think the unlimited ice cream bar heavy influenced the youngest desire to go back there for the next 5 trips!!!) So if I had to pick between the two based on food and characters - hands down Chef Mickey's.

Trails End is really great food and a good price. If you want some character interaction - you could go and see Chip N'Dale while there. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/chip-n-dale-campfire-sing-a-long/

Fort Wilderness is great at Halloween time. Your family will love it.

I like Chef Mickey's too.... I understand some people's frustration but I love the atmosphere. Also, a bit of nostalgia every time I go... I have such great memories of my DD when she was in her peak Mickey Mouse Club house phase (age 2) and she was freaking out from all the Mickey decor and seeing her fave characters for the first time.

I love the BBQ, but honestly, it really for kids 6 - 7 and under. The last couple of times we went my daughter was 9 and 11 and she looked soooo out of place on the dance floor (doesnt help she is really tall too). It was borderline embarrassing. Most kids were under 5 with a few 6 - 7 year olds. Food is good, show is adorable, but if your kids are tweens, I would skip it.

Chef Mickeys is OK. I do not like Trails End at all. The food is like the leftovers from the BBQ and Hoop Dee Doo. How about Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge?

12068969_903942482974182_6070541610600048795_o.jpg

And Trails End....YUCK!

10273217_903944252974005_4119258179297703333_o.jpg

12032791_903944279640669_8193384581409169720_o.jpg

12027258_903944312973999_5449221828803280380_o.jpg

12001017_903944192974011_1340904735488876209_o.jpg

12038773_903944142974016_1592842864829441030_o.jpg

12068430_903944102974020_3647190550056639367_o.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter