• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheesesteaks

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
Happy National Cheesesteak Day!!!

I was born in Philly, the undisputed cheesesteak capital of the world. Every neighborhood has two or three good places.

I think I’ll make them for dinner tonight. Get some GOOD thin sliced beef from the supermarket. NOT Steak-ums or other “chopped, formed, and sliced” product. And real cheese, NOT liquid cheese whiz.

My favorite is with mushrooms. DH likes his with roasted red peppers.

Chicken “cheesesteaks” are phony and an abomination. So is the crap served at Pat’s and Geno’s, catty-corner from each other in South Philly. Total trash. 🤮🤮🤮

The junk from those places is only good for Iggles fans to throw at the players after a bad game.
;)

Happy jeeting!!

Thanks @RedAngie ! I’m going to use this random “holiday” as an excuse to get a cheesesteak later! Traditionalists will hate me, but I’ll likely opt for the Inferno Steak from Larry’s Giant Subs. I did spend a summer stationed at Willow Grove and tried all the cheesesteaks I could, so I’m well aware of what I’m missing. :-)

Happy National Cheesesteak Day to you too!

OK, so spill the beans, what were your favorite cheesesteak places in Philly?

Well, it was many years ago, and I’m not even sure if the places are still open. I lived in the Port Richmond neighborhood.

One place was George’s a few blocks away. Affectionately known as “ The Grease Pit.” Another was the S&M deli. Those were the initials of the mom and pop owners, not anything kinky.

In Cherry Hill, NJ as a teen we liked Big John’s on Route 70, but I think it closed about 10 years ago.

Currently I like Naples in the Shop Rite shopping center on Route 40 in Bear, Delaware.

Jim’s on South Street in Philly is OK, but nothing special.

When I lived in LA there was a place called “Original Philly Cheesesteak” on Lincoln Blvd in the Venice Beach section. Operated by a Philly transplant.

Sadly, I haven’t been able to find a good cheesesteak around me in a long time. Idk if they are using cheaper beef or what, but they don’t taste right.

We had a lot of fun the couple of times we visited Pats and Genos! (One night at 4am in the pouring rain passing through Philly!) And we liked the cheesteaks (Genos > Pats; tried them both). They seem to do a good business anyway!

Any fast food/chain restaurants that sell cheesesteaks that someone would recommend?

Native Pennsylvanian here -- from outside of Philly in Berks County, but I now live in the Houston area. Happy national cheesesteak day! Now I'm going to have to make something PA Dutch for dinner to tamp down my need for a cheesesteak.

And I agree, OP, chicken cheesesteaks are literally for the birds.

Born in and lived in Philly my whole life. The best cheesesteak hands down is the one I make. My husband and I very briefly owned a pizza shop and we of course made hoagies and steaks. I was very good on the grill. The secret to a good Philly cheesesteak is the roll. Of course as RedAngie said the other must is a high quality meat, not SteakUmms or any kind of chopped processed meat. I got some thin sliced rib eye and Amoroso Rolls today so that I can make them for dinner tonight.

We have a place here in my so cal city called Philly's best and, yeah, it's a franchise, but it is legit. They use the Amoroso rolls and even sell Tastykake and Herr's chips. I grew up in NJ and love a good authentic Philly cheesesteak, but sorry, it's not a real Philly without cheez wiz and onions. To me, provolone and peppers or mushrooms is an abomination. If I don't need to do a Philly lean while eating it, why bother?

I lived in the Philadelphia area (Montgomery County) most of my life. My favorite place to get a cheesesteak was Blue Dog Tavern in Chalfont. Another place I liked was was Dino's in Margate, NJ.

Now living in the Tampa area, I haven't found anywhere that has as good of cheesesteak compared to back home. There is a place called Philly Phlava that I have been wanting to try.

Get some GOOD thin sliced beef from the supermarket. NOT Steak-ums or other “chopped, formed, and sliced” product. And real cheese, NOT liquid cheese whiz.
Of course as RedAngie said the other must is a high quality meat, not SteakUmms or any kind of chopped processed meat. I got some thin sliced rib eye and Amoroso Rolls today so that I can make them for dinner tonight.

Sad to say, I've never had a good cheesesteak. I've never had an authentic one the few times I was in Philly, as I didn't know where to go for a good one. :confused:

But, I agree, it was probably the bad quality of meat in the ones I've had. And sliced so thin, the meat was often overcooked, dry and tasteless by the time the cheese was put on and melted. :crazy2: I've even asked for them to put the cheese on sooner or take the the meat off the grill sooner so it's not cooked so well done. :( I've had great, thicker steak sandwiches. So, while the idea sounds like a good idea, I just never had one executed well and taste well. :(

It is not something I have very often, but I do love it. I have never been to Philadelphia so I probably haven't experienced how good a real cheesesteak can be. It is probably considered an abomination, but I order mine w/o onions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter