Cheer/dance competitions - are the parks very crowded? April 2023

Maggie The Cat

Mouseketeer
I've seen that there are cheer/dance competitions for almost all our days that we are going to WDW. It's during last two weeks of April. I was looking at WDW prep school crowd calendar for 2023 and they have it marked as the second worst heavy crowd level due to these competitions. Uh-oh.

We are staying at Beach Club, so I don't think they will be staying there?
But how much more crowded do these competitions make the parks? Should we prepare ourselves for large crowds?

These are the weeks after Easter week, so most of spring break should be over.

Last edited:
We were at Disney a couple of years ago at that time of year and didn't know ahead of time there was some sort of cheer/dance competition taking place. What we found was it made no difference at the parks since the competitors were busy with rehearsals and the actual competition days. Perhaps they get one free day or designated time off to go to the parks, but we never noticed the difference. I think where it would matter is if you were staying at one of the hotels they were occupying. We were at the Contemporary and our impression was they stay at places where room prices are more economical. Doubt they stay at the pricier hotels.

Disney tends to be crowded no matter when you go, so I don't think it really matters when you go other then obvious peak times around July 4, Christmas, etc.

We were at Disney a couple of years ago at that time of year and didn't know ahead of time there was some sort of cheer/dance competition taking place. What we found was it made no difference at the parks since the competitors were busy with rehearsals and the actual competition days. Perhaps they get one free day or designated time off to go to the parks, but we never noticed the difference. I think where it would matter is if you were staying at one of the hotels they were occupying. We were at the Contemporary and our impression was they stay at places where room prices are more economical. Doubt they stay at the pricier hotels.

Disney tends to be crowded no matter when you go, so I don't think it really matters when you go other then obvious peak times around July 4, Christmas, etc.

Thank you!

We were there a few years ago during a cheer competition and agree that we didn't notice an increase in how busy the parks were.
We noticed a much bigger increase during Jersey week.

We were there a few years ago during a cheer competition and agree that we didn't notice an increase in how busy the parks were.
We noticed a much bigger increase during Jersey week.

Sounds like we don't need to be too concerned, thanks!

We are looking at the same time but in 2024. I assume the All Star Resorts are crazy with them staying there but will POP be OK?

It's during last two weeks of April.

Yeah those are school vacation weeks in a good chunk of New England states. So if the parks are busy its because of that, not cheerleaders.
ETA: The second of those weeks should be lighter than the first.

Yeah those are school vacation weeks in a good chunk of New England states. So if the parks are busy its because of that, not cheerleaders.

I'm sure it will be better than the rest of Spring Break.

Same with us in S.C. - it’s our spring break week…

We are looking at the same time but in 2024. I assume the All Star Resorts are crazy with them staying there but will POP be OK?
Historically Cheerleading and Dance Worlds and The Summit are hosted by the All-Star Resort and Coronado Springs Resort.

So Pop Century should be Groovy. :)

On a side note,for anyone interested,Club Cheer is currently embroiled in just a terrible scandal.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...t-against-rockstar-cheer-varsity-etc.3895380/

Last edited:
I am also planning on going at that time and saw the same crowd calendar as you. It definitely gave me pause but I had similar thoughts to the rest of the posters- that it's mostly at their hotel (I have YC booked).

I am also planning on going at that time and saw the same crowd calendar as you. It definitely gave me pause but I had similar thoughts to the rest of the posters- that it's mostly at their hotel (I have YC booked).

I will say other crowd calendars I looked at were more positive and quite a few sites were saying these are good weeks to go.

I guess we will find out. Have a great trip!

I will say other crowd calendars I looked at were more positive and quite a few sites were saying these are good weeks to go.

I guess we will find out. Have a great trip!

I did go end of April this year, and crowds were weird. Wait times were decent, with the exception of the e-tickets and the stubbornly popular jungle cruise. But because not everything had returned to full capacity, the walkways were very crowded. It was also the first crowd I'd been around in 2 years, so it might have just felt crowded.

Just an fyi, the varsity cheer hotels for D1 summit at the end of April 26 and on will be the All stars, Coronado, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Not all gyms require to stay on property but if you are trying to avoid big groups, you may want to skip these resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter