Checking into airport then returning to hotel

Sadly from the M4, there is little alternative but to use the M25 - it is certainly the route that is signed to Gatwick.

Any other route is not likely to be much quicker on a normal day.

The only alternative that I could offer, which is longer in distance, is to come of the M4 at the A34 Newbury, then go south on the A34 and M3 until the exit for the M27 East. Head east on the M27 which becomes the A27 and keep going until you get to the A280 just before Worthing. Take the A280 and then the A24 keep going north and follow the signs for Gatwick.

Not easy is it!

Thanks Richard, but knowing me, I will no doubt get lost :p so I'll stick to the normal way.
We will be travelling up on the Friday afternoon anyway.
We're staying at The Copthorne which is only 3 miles from the airport, but someone on the other boards who lives near, says the traffic is still very heavy, and to allow enough time to get there.

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

I wasn't specifically saying you will get stuck on the M25 - although I think that is the worst road ever - but you can get stuck on any road, there was a problem on the A1 last night and some folks from work were stuck on there. It just makes me nervous - I was actually only about 20 minutes from my final destination when I got stuck, so I kept thinking there could be people on there who were just popping to the supermarket.
Can you imagine 'I'm just popping out for a pint of milk' and then you don't return for 5 hours...

I did get to my crop (scrapbooking get-together), I arrived at 4.15 and it finished at 5:o , but I got to go out for a meal with everyone, and crop on Sunday, so not a totally wasted weekend.

AnnMarie - would I have seen you walking along the motorway? I was amazed by the stream of people walking, and then frustrated at all the bags of burger king that came back past me - since I was travelling alone I couldn't even walk off to get some food.

Bev

Hi Alexandra,

My suggestion was not terribly serious (although part of it is my route to Gatwick) but more as an illustration of how difficult it is to avoid the M25 :(

On a Friday afternoon, the M4 should be Ok going the way you will be going but the M25 will be busy after about 3pm so be warned and allow plenty of time.

Bev, you poor soul. Fortunately for us we had some provisions in the car, i.e., biscuits, crisps and the all important chocolate;) which is just as well cos if I'd got out the car I would never have returned. I don't do traffic jams very well:mad: It did amaze me seeing people wandering around the motorway but at least we knew there was no danger of them getting hit by traffic LOL! Sounds like you had as frustrating a day as we did.

Annmarie

Alex,

We have to get to Gatwick from Gloucester, so a pretty similar route to you. It is a journey we are very familiar with as my brother lives in Brighton and we have to drive past Gatwick's door to get there. Friday afternoons are very busy on both the M4 and M25 as we have discovered to our cost on many occasions, and it gets progressively busier as the day wears on, not easing off again until quite late at night.

There is a very easy way to cut out much of the busiest part of the M25 (although you will still need to be on it for approximately 30 minutes). It doesn't guarantee you won't be held up (as Bev says, you can get stuck on any road), but all things being equal, it is quicker. Let me know if you want me to post the details.

I travel from Gatwick 3+ times a year and find the wetherspoons pub next to McDonalds the best value for Breakfast. Just personal opinion tho.:smooth:

Hi Alex

I would definetly suggest that you get to the airport about 6-30 (I wouldnt think you need to be there any earlier) and then stay at the airport. To go back and forth would really just give you more stress - and the idea of staying in the hotel the night before is to get rid of that! ;)

Once you have checked in, had a wander, found somewhere to have brekkie - Garfunkels and Weatherspoons are equally good IMHO - take your time, let the little ones enjoy the excitement of being at the airport - take them to look at the planes take off and land. Get your immigration cards and Customs cards and fill them in whilst you have time - when they hand them out on the plane, everyone is tired and if you've got little ones, they might be demanding your attention etc. If the forms are wrong, they usually send you to the back of the queue - so before you board is a good time to do this - then put them safe, with your other bits and pieces and you're all done!

I would really advise against going back to your hotel - the traffic can be bad round where the M23 goes to the airport - dont forget you will be travelling back and forth during the normal rush hour when everyone will be winging their way to work!

Dont panic - you will be fine :D :D :D :D

HTH

Thanks for all your advice. Going on what you've all said, we won't be going back to the hotel :D
DEB - Could you post that alternative route for me please ?
What time do you think we would be best to leave Newport to avoid most of the " Friday " traffic ?
Thanks in advance :D

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

Hi Alex. Here's what you need to do:

Leave the M4 at junction 10 and follow the signs for Bracknell and the M3. Initially you will be on the A329M which then joins the A322. You will skirt around Bracknell - this is a busy, but fast-moving stretch. Just keep following the signs for the M3 and join it at junction 3, then head for the M25. You join the M25 at junction 12.

You only cut out a short stretch of the M25, but we have found that junction 15 (where the M4 meets the M25) is invariably snarled up. Provided you have no hold-ups, the stretch between the M4 and the M25 via Bracknell will take approximately 30 minutes, and then you will be on the M25 for about 30 minutes.

As I said, the Friday traffic builds from lunchtime. We are going to my brother's tomorrow, so I'll let you know what it's like.

Thanks Deb
I'll get all that written in my little tips book now :D
On the Friday that we leave, I'm planning to leave in the morning so as to miss the worst of the traffic. I don't do traffic jams very well, especially with the little one in the car. We can check into the hotel from 12 onwards, so I'll leave Newport at around 10am.

:jester: 107 to go :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter